No Spark! by FormulaPaul
Started on: 08-15-2021 07:16 PM
Replies: 14 (225 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 08-22-2021 09:01 PM
FormulaPaul

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2021 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaPaulSend a Private Message to FormulaPaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I just replaced the fuel pump on my formula and I went to start the car and it did not start. Just 3 days ago I checked for spark and I had spark but after I changed the fuel pump I have no spark? Maybe I messed with a connection when I was around the engine bay? I have no idea. Good news is I have fuel in my fuel rail but now I have no spark even tho I just had spark 3 days ago. I have an MSD spark discharge system and I checked if that was getting power and it is but that is the only thing I have checked. Where should I start because I am lost?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FormulaPaul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2021 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaPaulSend a Private Message to FormulaPaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This wire (Looks like some ground wire) looks like it is ripped off from somewhere I am not sure but could this be a problem. I am not sure what it is for if someone could help me out and tell me.
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2021 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe the car is sensitive to its incorrectly installed battery maybe the icm decided to quit. For some unexplained reason i have seen a hand full of people lose icms right after fuel pump replacement.
FormulaPaul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2021 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaPaulSend a Private Message to FormulaPaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

Maybe the car is sensitive to its incorrectly installed battery maybe the icm decided to quit. For some unexplained reason i have seen a hand full of people lose icms right after fuel pump replacement.

What do you mean incorrectly installed battery? and I will have to give the ism a check.
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2021 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FormulaPaul:

What do you mean incorrectly installed battery? and I will have to give the ism a check.

Photo Courtesy of phonedawgz

From original post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...0314-2-115484-2.html
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2021 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What do you mean incorrectly installed battery?

What's actually holding your battery in place while facing that way?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-16-2021).]

FormulaPaul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2021 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaPaulSend a Private Message to FormulaPaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

What's actually holding your battery in place while facing that way?

The battery is like that just because I needed to access around it.
CSM842M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2021 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+1 for the ICM. They absolutely will pick the strangest and/or most inconvenient times to just quit. A few of the auto parts chains have a machine in-store that can test the module - call around and see. And keep us updated.
FormulaPaul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2021 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaPaulSend a Private Message to FormulaPaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CSM842M4:

+1 for the ICM. They absolutely will pick the strangest and/or most inconvenient times to just quit. A few of the auto parts chains have a machine in-store that can test the module - call around and see. And keep us updated.

I just took out the ICM today I am going to call places tmw.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2021 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just took out the ICM today...

Often it's just a poor contact in one of the connections on the ICM that causes issues. Perhaps simply try reinstalling the same ICM and see if it now magically works! Make sure to use proper heat sink compound between the base of the distributor and the ICM.

If the ICM is actually bad, it's a good idea to replace the pickup coil (not the ignition coil) inside the distributor as well. It's inexpensive.

And then re-time the ignition (using a timing light and a jumper). Don't just assume it was correct where it was.
FormulaPaul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2021 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaPaulSend a Private Message to FormulaPaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Often it's just a poor contact in one of the connections on the ICM that causes issues. Perhaps simply try reinstalling the same ICM and see if it now magically works! Make sure to use proper heat sink compound between the base of the distributor and the ICM.

If the ICM is actually bad, it's a good idea to replace the pickup coil (not the ignition coil) inside the distributor as well. It's inexpensive.

And then re-time the ignition (using a timing light and a jumper). Don't just assume it was correct where it was.

So I got the ICM tested and I tested the ignition coil and they both came out good.
PFF
System Bot
FormulaPaul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2021 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaPaulSend a Private Message to FormulaPaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the car to start! After I replaced the pick-up coil it took a few start and dies but after that it starts right up!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2021 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Excellent!
Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2021 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The main issue with the battery installed incorrectly like this is, the positive terminal is bare metal and very close to the metal/ground deck lid hinge, if they touch you are going to have an arc welder shooting sparks everywhere, very dangerous. I would strongly suggest installing battery in its correct position with a factory battery shield in place.

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 08-22-2021).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2021 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Skybax:

I would strongly suggest installing battery in its correct position with a factory battery shield in place.

I gathered from what the OP stated Here that this was just temporary, albeit dangerous (as you've pointed out).

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock