stock delco radio weak front audio by katie80
Started on: 05-26-2021 07:10 PM
Replies: 5 (491 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 06-01-2021 01:56 PM
katie80

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2021 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katie80Send a Private Message to katie80Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i’ve got an 84 se with a delco 16040862. the front speakers have very weak audio (like so weak you have to unplug the headrest speakers and turn it all the way up to hear anything weak.) the speakers work just fine with a different stereo, any idea what would cause this?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2021 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Radio have fader F 2 B.
You set wrong or Fader have problem(s)...
Fader itself, wire/plug to front inside and other things.
Most old radios have problems w/ crack solder, bad capacitors, and others problems besides dead rubber for tape units or dead opticals for CD players.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

katie80

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2021 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katie80Send a Private Message to katie80Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it is nearly silent when set to front, i also noticed i only get right rear channel audio. not both left and right rear. i thought this had something to do with the tapes id recorded because one of my tape decks doesn’t have a working left channel but it’s the same on the radio. but you’re thinking bad solder joints or caps?

Originally posted by theogre:

Radio have fader F 2 B.
You set wrong or Fader have problem(s)...
Fader itself, wire/plug to front inside and other things.
Most old radios have problems w/ crack solder, bad capacitors, and others problems besides dead rubber for tape units or dead opticals for CD players.

reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2021 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are they original speakers? Might be the speakers are blown out.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2021 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could be bad finals. You seriously want to troubleshoot the stock radio? I bet you can find an original replacement for less than the hassle of trying to figure out whats wrong.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...4/HTML/075303-6.html
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2021 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My first guess would be bad/cracked solder joints. These radios are absolutely notorious for them.
Second guess would be bad finals. (Output amplifier transistors/ICs.) With that said, they are fairly robust. Unless some atrocity ( a short circuit or water damage) has been perpetrated upon them, they are probably okay.
Also check the solder joints where the harness connector pins are soldered into the circuit board.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock