Three Little Electrical Complications by Nghtrain36
Started on: 09-11-2020 05:04 PM
Replies: 7 (219 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 09-13-2020 12:43 AM
Nghtrain36

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2020 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nghtrain36Send a Private Message to Nghtrain36Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello again everyone. I'm finding a few more electrical issues in the rat's nest of a Fiero project I got (for those wondering, I did get the '88 oil pressure sending unit wiring harness installed, waiting on the unit to show up in the mail...)

First I'll start with what appears to be an attempt to rewire the pop-up headlights. The guy I bought it from pointed out he was rewiring it so it didn't pop up or down, so I thought, okay, might just be a faulty wire. No, this guy attempted to completely redo what's going on in there and I don't know enough about wiring to finish the job he left behind.

So I haven't got the foggiest what this guy was trying to wire up down there, but I either need to undo it or get advice on how to finish up the job. That said, if I wanted to undo it, I'd need the connector for the relay and I couldn't seem to find one in the Fiero Store. Is there another place I might be able to find the connectors I need?

Second issue is something missing entirely. There's two female spade connectors (I apologize for the blurry image) and a hole where something once screwed into the engine, but prowling around a thousand page manual on my own has not yielded an answer as to what the hell is missing here.

And finally something entirely random on it's own. A single orange wire, not connected to anything. I found it hanging onto the wiring harness for the oil pressure sending unit but as I followed this wire, I could only pinpoint that it was going into the rear firewall, but I'm still confused on what this even went to. It wasn't for the wires for the oil pressure sending unit, already had that in hand.

I do apologize if these seem like elementary questions. Wiring is still a shaky topic for me, so any help gets me a little closer to handling these things on my own someday.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2020 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nghtrain36:

Second issue is something missing entirely. There's two female spade connectors (I apologize for the blurry image) and a hole where something once screwed into the engine, but prowling around a thousand page manual on my own has not yielded an answer as to what the hell is missing here.

Broken bolt held a small bracket for factory spark plug wires plastic holder.

I'd say those two wires are for the Temp Sender in the head under your hand.
The plastic connector has a habit of disintegrating from age/heat.

The only other thing in that area is the Tach Filter.
What color are the wires? Is Tachometer dead?

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-12-2020).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2020 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pic 1 maybe someone f'd rad fan wiring or part of pic 2

pic 2 is Gen1 HL Motors and won't work in 87+ cars w/o a lot more hack job.

Color of wires in pic 3?

Pic 4... Caution! Orange wires are often Hot w/ Key On. No clue exactly what went to.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2020 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pic 4 may be for oil pressure sending unit - power from fuel pump fuse to fuel pump oil pressure activated switch.
Nghtrain36

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2020 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nghtrain36Send a Private Message to Nghtrain36Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

pic 1 maybe someone f'd rad fan wiring or part of pic 2

pic 2 is Gen1 HL Motors and won't work in 87+ cars w/o a lot more hack job.

Color of wires in pic 3?

Pic 4... Caution! Orange wires are often Hot w/ Key On. No clue exactly what went to.

I kinda thought the same at first, but the radiator fan works perfectly fine. Probably should've elaborated more on it, but that section of wiring I'm fairly certain does belong to the headlight motor/relay, as in picture two, you can see the other end of the connector that's SUPPOSED to be leading into relay laying limp (it's right underneat the black wire, kinda hard to see).

For picture 2, to make sure I'm understanding you correctly, I can use the headlight motor connectors for the relay connector that's missing off the headlight?

The wires in pic 3 are dark green. As far as I can recall (it's been about a couple months) I don't think that belongs to the tachometer. I remember that working last I had the car running.

As for pic 4, no worries, the battery is disconnected and it isn't getting reconnected til I'm 100% sure my wiring woes are over. I thought maybe that wire was to the oil pressure sensor relay, but it doesn't have the same black stripe and I already found and fixed that wire to the new wiring harness.
Nghtrain36

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2020 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nghtrain36Send a Private Message to Nghtrain36Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nghtrain36

7 posts
Member since Aug 2020

Originally posted by fierosound:

Broken bolt held a small bracket for factory spark plug wires plastic holder.

I'd say those two wires are for the Temp Sender in the head under your hand.
The plastic connector has a habit of disintegrating from age/heat.

The only other thing in that area is the Tach Filter.
What color are the wires? Is Tachometer dead?

Thank you for letting me know about that broken bolt, I was seriously concerned it was a missing part. Glad that's not a hard fix.

As for the two wires, they are dark green, also, if memory serves me correctly, the tach did work last time I had the car running.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2020 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
87+ Fiero uses Gen2 HL motor and module.
This Motor only have 2 wires...
See my Cave, Gen 2 HL Motor

Again, Above does not work in 87+ Fiero w/o a major hack job.
Either...
Someone rewired the front for old motors. Even If found a prefect set then Ok but not good in the end.
Someone did a complete crap job and run Gen1 motors in whatever way.

If you have an older Fiero...
Many do same hacks when 1 or more of 3 Gen1 Relay are dead and/or 1 or both motors is bad and Good luck trying to undo crap work.

You never said what year of car, just said 88 OP sender is one problem that will cause problems getting answers to any post.
You can't just ask for any car because Year alone matter many times. Just Fiero has many changes year to year.
Quick example See my Cave, Duke Quick Ref and that's just for the 4 cyl motor. IOW In 5 years of Fiero GM used 4 versions of this motor. Other versions made before and after Fiero.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2020 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nghtrain36:

As for the two wires, they are dark green, .

They are for the temperature sender in the head for temp gauge/light as I guessed earlier.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-2-117673.html

Your connector has disintegrated.
http://rodneydickman.com/pr....php?products_id=174

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-13-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay