ECM for 1987 2.8L by lyleap-gmc
Started on: 07-24-2020 04:55 PM
Replies: 15 (307 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 08-07-2020 12:18 PM
lyleap-gmc

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2020 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lyleap-gmcSend a Private Message to lyleap-gmcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in the process of replacing a locked up 4 cylinder with a 1987 2.8L V6. I need to replace the ECM to match the V6.
What ECMs can be used with this engine. It is stock.
It would be most helpful if the donor car is listed as well as the Service Number.

Thank you to all,

Lyle
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2020 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ECM is 1227170, but you will need to get the right PROM based on type of transmission and possibly tire size.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 07-24-2020).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2020 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All 85-87 Fiero v6 ecms with the proper transmission prom will work. It doesn't have to be 87 specific.
lyleap-gmc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2020 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lyleap-gmcSend a Private Message to lyleap-gmcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like to have the make, model and year of a donor car. I know that any Fiero ECM from '85 to '88 will work.

There just aren't that many Fiero ECMs available. I know of one but he is keeping it in case he reverts his '87 back to stock.

I can do some programming of a suitable ECM if need be.

Thanks to all who reply,

Lyle
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2020 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could convert it to a 1227730 ECM, do the digital EGR conversion and have a more responsive engine plus eliminate the troublesome Fiero EGR system.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2020 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lyleap-gmc:

There just aren't that many Fiero ECMs available.

Fierostore has them. Or ask in the MALL and somebody can sell you a used one.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 07-24-2020).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2020 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Fierostore has them. Or ask in the MALL and somebody can sell you a used one.

We have quite a few V6 and L4 ECMs, even AC Delco factory rebuilt units in the box.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

lyleap-gmc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2020 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lyleap-gmcSend a Private Message to lyleap-gmcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

You could convert it to a 1227730 ECM, do the digital EGR conversion and have a more responsive engine plus eliminate the troublesome Fiero EGR system.

What is involved in the EGR conversion? Sounds like a great idea.

Lyle
Daryl M

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2020 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is in my 86 GT 4 speed parts car. I drove the car into the garage, so it seems to work.

[This message has been edited by Daryl M (edited 08-06-2020).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2020 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daryl M:

This is in my 86 GT 4 speed parts car. I drove the car into the garage, so it seems to work.

Yes, 1226869 is the only other ECM that was used on 6 cylinder Fieros. It was used for 1985 and apparently early 1986 cars, and will work in '87 and '88 cars.
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2020 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would like to have the make, model and year of a donor car. I know that any Fiero ECM from '85 to '88 will work.

There just aren't that many Fiero ECMs available. I know of one but he is keeping it in case he reverts his '87 back to stock.

I can do some programming of a suitable ECM if need be.

Thanks to all who reply,

Lyle

If the ECM I posted in the photo will work for you, shoot me a PM.

PFF
System Bot
lyleap-gmc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2020 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lyleap-gmcSend a Private Message to lyleap-gmcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent.
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2020 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PM sent.

I replied to your PM, but not sure it worked.
Did you get it?

lyleap-gmc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2020 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lyleap-gmcSend a Private Message to lyleap-gmcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Daryl,
I looked in the PM area of the forum. It shows that you sent me a PM but there is no message displayed.

I think I sent you my email in one message. Please try that.

Lyle

[This message has been edited by lyleap-gmc (edited 08-07-2020).]

Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2020 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I got a PM through. Call me.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2020 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What is involved in the EGR conversion? Sounds like a great idea.

Lyle

You would need the 1227730 ECM and it's harness plugs, of course. Also the ECM tray from an 87 or 88 L4. A few new wires would need to be added to your engine harness while some can be removed, and that's easily done while the engine is out of the car. Sinister Performance can tune the 7730 ECM for your engine, transmission and tire setup. You would need to purchase the Digital EGR Adapter Kit from Georgia Fieros https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/057540.html to eliminate the troublesome electro/pneumatic EGR system you're currently stuck with. An oil pump drive from a later year 60* V6 would be needed to replace your distributor. The kit gives an extensive list of vehicles that use the Digital EGR Valve that mounts on the adapter plate.

This video may be of help, though it's for a 3.4 engine, rather than a 2.8 which doesn't have the crankshaft sensor and knock sensor ports. Those would need to be located differently on a 2.8.
https://youtu.be/3PsSX6ClBhE

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 08-07-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock