Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  86 Fiero GT no spark after being stored for several years.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
86 Fiero GT no spark after being stored for several years. by groseband
Started on: 06-13-2020 05:01 PM
Replies: 2 (233 views)
Last post by: groseband on 06-13-2020 10:14 PM
groseband

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2020 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grosebandSend a Private Message to grosebandEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, I have an 86 Fiero GT, 2.8 Ltr. that ran fine when we put it away. It now cranks over fine, the fuel pump works, but there is no spark. I tried a new ICU but made no difference. Valve gear is operating, and the PU coil and secondary coil both test OK. I noticed that the tach needle wants to go backwards when I crank it over which makes me wonder about the PU coil. Has anyone run into this before? I'm running out of ideas. Would the PU coil go bad just sitting?

------------------
George

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2020 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tough to say what the issue could be. The cap or rotor could be corroded, grounds corroded, wires cracked. It's hard to imagine the coil or pickup coil going bad from sitting, it's possible. I'd started by checking grounds and connections for corrosion or bad wires. Check the coil for any visible cracks or damage. A mouse could have got in somewhere too and chewed stuff up. Ogres cave link at the top of the page has lots of good info that could help.

Also, for a car that has sat for so long give it a good look over before hitting the road. A particular fire hazard to check for is the heater fan resistor.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-2-120744.html

Post updates as you troubleshoot so we can give better answers.

Good luck
groseband

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2020 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grosebandSend a Private Message to grosebandEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I will double check all ground wires.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock