Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  88GT Road Race car build with a 3.4TDC (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
88GT Road Race car build with a 3.4TDC by darkhorizon
Started on: 06-09-2020 02:02 PM
Replies: 59 (1301 views)
Last post by: darkhorizon on 07-08-2020 01:45 PM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2020 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:
Fuel problem was found last night, likely the source of all my engine related problems...
100% of the 3800 stuff I've done with fieros would shown absolutely no chance of even running at all if I found this in the tank. Pretty amazed to be honest.

Dude...
IP: Logged
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2020 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Were they running it on acetone?

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 06-20-2020).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 450
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2020 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Must have been ran on some acid octane booster.
msweldon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2020 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonClick Here to Email msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome find on the fuel system... Let us know how it runs when you get it back up and running....

Do you have any information on the type of front and rear shocks you're running as well as the maxima conversion details?
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2020 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by msweldon:

Awesome find on the fuel system... Let us know how it runs when you get it back up and running....

Do you have any information on the type of front and rear shocks you're running as well as the maxima conversion details?

Very little. the rear has welded in "camber plates" that mount the top of the shock, and are slotted for alignment adjustment. Beyond that it seems to be a maxima koni bolted in with a generic coil over kit installed on it.

Front is pretty standard Held/whatever motorsports control arms, 88 drop knuckles, and a koni coilover that you would probably find on a mustang rear end. I am pretty sure the alignment settings are built into the factory butterfly nut on the top control arm.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2020 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First drive with no issues, runs perfectly stock.

However now that I have a car that drives like normal, I notice that the gear whine is pretty loud at very light throttle, and goes away completely off the throttle... It gets quieter if i put some more power to it.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2020 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You checked transmission oil, right?
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2020 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

You checked transmission oil, right?

No, I like the gas tank I thought it was a waste of time to check trans fluid.

kidding, yes I checked it and it looked good, changed it with syncromesh anyway, overfilled it a bit, noise is the same. I also unhooked the somewhat solid upper motor mount and the volume was the same. Its been rebuilt and fiddled with so I really just want to ignore it for now but it is really quite loud. I will try to keep an eye on it as it might quiet down when it gets warm?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2020 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The gear whine... I installed a zero mile (after rebuild) NVG T550 in my car, instead of the 4T60E.
A few days/weeks into the "honeymoon period", the drain plug came out of the trans.
I was on the interstate, in 5th gear, when I noticed a bit of gear whine. Since I was only a few miles from home, and figured there was nothing I could really do about it anyway, I just slowed way down, and drove as easy as I could. (At that point, I didn't know that the plug had come out. Just that it had suddenly gotten louder.)
Going forward, I purchased another plug, and filled it back up with synchromesh. I changed it at after a short drive, before calling it good. No metal "hairs", dust, or shrapnel when I drained it.
The upshot is that it still has a bit of gear whine in 5th. Never a problem, and it certainly isn't getting any worse.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 06-24-2020).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2020 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wrung the splines off an inner CV joint at an 1/8 mile strip.
Ever since then the transmission has had whined on coast-down ~45 mph in any gear.
A friend's stock DSM transmission started to whine in first gear after piling on hard launches for a while.
They can be hurt without being broken.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 06-24-2020).]

Frenchrafe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2020 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrenchrafeClick Here to Email FrenchrafeSend a Private Message to FrenchrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if this type of gear oil is available in the USA, but it's what we use in competition here in France:

The stuff is really good at keeping a stock gearbox alive when driving trackdays etc...
Also cuts down whine.
Only difficult thing is the gear changes when cold, but it soon heats up on the track!

Regards,
Rafe

PS I overfill my gearbox by about 500ml - just for insurance.

PPS The gear oil costs like 3 times the price of the normal stuff, but I think it's worth it. Loads of other racers seem to think the same thing as well!

------------------
"Turbo Slug" - '87 Fiero GT. 3800 turbo. Sticky tyres. Driven hard!
https://www.youtube.com/cha...1wZvWQlkYxTjivW_0XNg

[This message has been edited by Frenchrafe (edited 06-25-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
sourmash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2020 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashClick Here to Email sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

First drive with no issues, runs perfectly stock.

However now that I have a car that drives like normal, I notice that the gear whine is pretty loud at very light throttle, and goes away completely off the throttle... It gets quieter if i put some more power to it.

Doesn't that sound like an indication of misaligned gears? Perhaps one or both mating surfaces of a pair have a wear pattern not meshing perfectly with one another? I rebuilt a rear diff and got the pinion spacing off so it does this.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2020 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been quiet for a few days, really putting in some work on this car last week.

First off... Track day this last weekend. Fuel pump fix has it running ok, but still dealing with some low throttle misfires, and it seems like its a little down on power, but not much, feels a bit rich is all.

Managed to get the brakes COMPLETELY figured out. The willwood sized DTC70/60 pads are great, and needed minor grinding on the knuckles and pads to fit, as seen here. Also the pin slider holes were drilled out. These brakes combined with stock rotors and calipers are absolutely flawless, perfectly consistent, great bias with the 70/60 front/rear combined with the OEM bias valve. Extremely happy here, and I doubt I will be changing these any time soon. The only thing I may do is go for a 13inch viper rotor but only after I add a bunch more power than I have now.

Steering has been holding back some speed from me. There is a combination of worn out tie rod ends and a crunchy weird feeling rack that causes me to be very out of control when im turning in, which causes me to overbrake most corners so I can get turned in comfortably. Its a few seconds off pace of my s2000 still, so further development is needed here in steering to contribute to my goal of beating my s2000 times at my favorite tracks.

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 07-01-2020).]

Craig71188

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2020 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Craig71188Send a Private Message to Craig71188Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the update on the pads - that will help the budget!!! Also, regarding the gearbox, I have used (and intend to use) RedLine HD Shockproof Gear Lube. We have used it extensively in Hewland gearboxes for formula cars and sports ravers where we regularly exceed the rated torque capacity of the gearbox and it works very well. We have even used their light duty shockproof on shifter karts for autocross due to the repeated standing start shocks to the gearbox and again, no failures (other than a couple of chains!).

Sure glad you bought this before I have to explain another Fiero race car to the wife....
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2020 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great to hear you found something that works to your satisfaction on the brakes!
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2020 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Great to hear you found something that works to your satisfaction on the brakes!

Yeah, This needs to be some sort of public information for anyone that wants good braking performance.
Craig71188

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2020 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Craig71188Send a Private Message to Craig71188Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, This needs to be some sort of public information for anyone that wants good braking performance.

I am thinking that getting together (Forum/FB Group) folks actually road racing (endurance racing) Fiero's is needed to help weed out a lot of the "clutter". It's a small band and I have "corresponded" online with several. Seems a place to share data/parts/tech SPECIFICALLY related to road racing would help all of us faster.
BabyShark
Fieroline (and a sister team in the NW)
"Mender" - Canadien team on Champcar forum
Me (in Ohio - still building)
Yourself
And I know I am forgetting someone - and there are more out there.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2020 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Would the pads fit unmodified with a little more grinding on the knuckles?

Have you used Porterfields on track?
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2020 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Would the pads fit unmodified with a little more grinding on the knuckles?

Have you used Porterfields on track?

Probably would NOT fit unless you modified both ends, you are already starting to get into the bolt holes and the pads are easier to grind so it only makes sense.

The porterfields are something I have never ran myself, and i've heard of MAYBE one of my fellow track people ever use them before, and had an average review of them. They might work fine but its not something I would be interested in testing.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock