3800 connector removal question by longjonsilver
Started on: 05-31-2020 10:53 AM
Replies: 19 (219 views)
Last post by: longjonsilver on 06-05-2020 01:05 PM
longjonsilver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2020 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From this thread

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-2-074653.html

that details taking apart the 3800 engine harness, QUESTION: How do i disassemble the blue and clear harness terminals at the computer - ya no the big ones with some 78 wires going into them. i destroyed the washer holding the bolt on, and now i can't get the grey plastic cover off. What to do? Dont wanna break anything

jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
OntarioKev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2020 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OntarioKevSend a Private Message to OntarioKevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not sure what you are describing, its been awhile but if I remember you pull the blue (or clear) covers off and then you can slide the pins out after carefully spreading the white plastic clips that hold the pins in.

I don't remember having to remove any washers or anything.
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2020 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK i got more time now. Herez some pics:

Grey cover: how do you remove it?

gif upload site

Grey cover on top clear cover on bottom, how do you remove the clear cover?

i must be some kinda dummy cuz i cant seem to find a way

jon

PS i know how to get the bolt out. What do i do then to get the grey cover off?

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

[This message has been edited by longjonsilver (edited 05-31-2020).]

blazin'

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2020 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2020 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blazin':

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ebO4-EwMJDM

Thanks blazin. That was what i needed. Question: i see no way of identifying what terminal is which. Any idears?

------------------

blazin'

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2020 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I paid no mind to which was which when I stripped it down. I depinned the C-1 & C-2, there's a few fusible links that get snipped. There's a post by phonedawgs clarifying which. Once I had everything untangled I coiled each sensor up individually and labelled it. All the excess wire and connectors were stowed away for any mods needed for the harness.

I'm taking my time and pretty much learning as I go.
blazin'

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2020 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

blazin'

1294 posts
Member since Oct 2001
What harness are you using?
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2020 05:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What harness are you using?

i'm using the harness and computer from the car which was a 2002 GTP 40th anniversary edition.

i got my pinouts from Sinister Performance. They are going to do my computer tuning as well.

i have just pulled the pins that his pinouts say i won't be needing. Then i popped the blue and clear plastic covers back on. If i have to depin to reroute a wire, i'm gonna do it one wire at a time. Just seems easier for me. But maybe i got something wrong, cuz i have a grey wire (5volt???) that i depinned but it runs to somewhere on the engine harness. Then i have two wires that go to the VSS. N the after knock sensor wire got pulled out and i gotta resolder it back to the connector at the engine. Still, i made a LOT of progress yesterday. Gonna go down in a bit and work on it some more, then put the whole shebang on the engine and begin routing the wires. Not gonna cut the wires going to the computer, but if they are too long, gonna just coil then out of the way. i'll cut the ones going to the C500 and C203 and OBD2 port tho. Its good to know someone else is doing this right now, makes me feel less alone.

jon

edit: checkout my build thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...098244.html#lastpost
------------------

[This message has been edited by longjonsilver (edited 06-01-2020).]

blazin'

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2020 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see what you are saying. I can't say for sure as I'm not "there" yet but you may have an abundance of excess wire to deal with. After routing my injector harness yesterday I was surprised at how much they differed in lengths where they would plug into the C-1 and C-2. Makes sense considering they are following a new path.

I'm basically following Fieroflyers method, hoping for as clean of a harness as possible. You'll likely be done far sooner than I, I don't get much time but I try to squeeze in as much as I can.

I see you're on the east coast, I'm actually from the Wolfville area originally. There was a really great Fiero community there ~15ish or so years ago. I'll check out your build thread 👍

[This message has been edited by blazin' (edited 06-01-2020).]

blazin'

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2020 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

blazin'

1294 posts
Member since Oct 2001
Jeez these night shifts..... I meant to ask, what pin was the grey wire from.. Darth's pinouts list either 33 or 34. 5 v Reference A and 5v reference B
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2020 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm basically following Fieroflyers method, hoping for as clean of a harness as possible.

I see you're on the east coast, I'm actually from the Wolfville area originally. There was a really great Fiero community there ~15ish or so years ago. I'll check out your build thread 👍

Link to Fieroflyers method?

We just moved here from Montreal about a year ago. The first month or so i met two Fiero guys, one at a stoplight the other at church. We organized a Fiero run from Lower Sackville to Peggy's Cove to Mahone Bay, including a stop at a great fish restaurant. We had 6 cars for the run. No one has been able to tell us when the last NS run was, but they say a long time ago. When i heard Ryans car with the 3800SC i had to have one. Met another Fiero family on Facebook and they had a car for sale - ol Betsy - the 2002 GTP - and Steve and i went down to Shelburne to pull the motor last March i believe. We now have 10 cars in various states of running - mine is a daily driver - but i don't know about a run yet. i started a Whatsapp group for the Fieros in NS and we have posts almost everyday. A cuppla deals have gone down between Fieros. Do you know Bloozeberry here on PFF?

jon

------------------

PFF
System Bot
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2020 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

longjonsilver

1064 posts
Member since Nov 2001
i pulled the greys from the C2 connector but find that they go to the MAP and EGR. #33 is listed as the 5 volt reference for EGR, TPS and MAP. Do i splice them together?
dunno

------------------

OntarioKev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2020 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OntarioKevSend a Private Message to OntarioKevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RIght it was so long ago I removed that outside cover I forgot about it.

There should be pin numbers on the outside once the cover is removed (eg 1/40 not every pin is numbered).
blazin'

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2020 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a link for some good wiring info

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...100421-2-094874.html

Ah gotcha, the Maritimes are nice, much nicer in the scenic department compared to here in the prairies. Ryan as in Ryan W? If so that's an old high-school buddy of mine. There used to be a few runs back in the early 2000's. I recall a get together in the Lunenburg area and one in Truro. I think there were 7-8 of us at the Truro meetup. Not sure what the community is like here, seems that many have gone to Facebook.

I don't think I have met Bloozeberry, I was more active on the forum's before he was a member.

Now as far as your grey wire goes, I'm not sure what you mean by splicing it together. I'll have to look at my harness tomorrow.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2020 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 06-02-2020).]

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2020 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now i'm confused. Dan says that we need to use an 88 V6 oil pressure sender with three wires, but Ryan has a tan wire going from the oil pressure sender to pin E of the C203. i'm gonna have to check and see what i did with my oil pressure sender when i wired in the GT gages in my 84 - i remember having to pull and install the oil pressure sender off an 85 V6 GT. Maybe i can use that one, but i have to wire it in i guess.

jon

------------------

blazin'

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2020 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2020 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So now we have Ryanz way, Danz way and Phonedawgz way. Lotsa options.

jon

------------------

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2020 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I did my 3800SC swap I used the 3800 oil pressure sender used on the models w an oil pressure gauge. As a back up for the fuel pump relay (and to provide more amperage) I just ran a secondary relay and wiring in parallel. At WOT there is high fuel demand, especially if you are running more boost. For the fuel pump to keep up it needs secondary ( or heavier) wiring.

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 06-05-2020).]

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2020 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

When I did my 3800SC swap I used the 3800 oil pressure sender used on the models w an oil pressure gauge. As a back up for the fuel pump relay (and to provide more amperage) I just ran a secondary relay and wiring in parallel. At WOT there is high fuel demand, especially if you are running more boost. For the fuel pump to keep up it needs secondary ( or heavier) wiring.

i pulled this relay today in the junkyard cuz someone said that the relays marked ABS are more reliable for the fuel pump than the Fiero relays.

i have read recently (GM Tuners - Ryanz site) that the fuel pump wiring is not sufficient for a 3800SC even a stock one, and he shortens up the wiring to decrease the IR drop, so i know i have to modify my fuel pump wiring. You are recommending another relay wired in parallel so as to decrease the IR drop and build reliability if one relay fails.

Whatza good fuel pump for a stock setup (minus the second O2 sensor)? that is reliable, easy to find and sufficient pressure and volume?

So you're saying that some 3800z oil pressure senders are wired up differently than others in that they have two wires?

i also took a look at the 3800 alternator while i was in the junkyard i used an S10 alternator cuz it was easy to build a bracket for it. The wiring is different tho, so it made me wonder how to wire it. My 2002GTP was wired with a red and an orange, but this Buick had a red, an orange and a tan wire. i might add a tan wire just in case. Don't wanna build my harness and forget wires. ;-)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock