Headliner redo by pontiacfierokid1985
Started on: 03-12-2020 10:26 AM
Replies: 5 (553 views)
Last post by: pontiacfierokid1985 on 03-16-2020 08:41 AM
pontiacfierokid1985

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2020 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking to rewrap my headliner since the grey fabric was falling off. I’m looking to do it in black how do I go about taking the cardboard down what pieces have to come out in order to do this. Plus my car is sunroof does anyone already make a pre cut one that I can just glue to the board and install?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2020 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is just one of the many threads about headliner replacement.

Repairing broken headliner
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2020 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been a while since I did mine but I seem to recall having to take off all the plastic trim around the doors and window A frames.
The A frame trim on the window is clipped on and the clips or the tabs they go onto will probably break. I used SMC adhesive but to glue the broken tabs back on but something like JB weld will probably do just as well
For the B pillar trim behind the seats, you'll need to remove the seat belt anchor in the side I think. The trim is all sort of interlocked but it's comes apart petty logically.
You'll probably find the headliner board is pretty weak and flimsy. I always reinforce them with some fibreglass mat and resin on the back side at least.

I've always gotten my headliner material at Jo-Ann fabrics and just cut to shape/size. It's not hard.

You need to use a GOOD, heat resistant adhesive as well. The last time I did it I used 3M Hi-Strngth 90 contact adhesive. Seems to be holding up well so far.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2020 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000005.html

This is my guide to installing and repairing the headliner

------------------
Thank You
Thomas
NIFE Activity Director
1987 Fiero GT T-Top 1988 Fiero Formula

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover
FieroNews Windshield Banners

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2020 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiacfierokid1985:

Looking to rewrap my headliner since the grey fabric was falling off. I’m looking to do it in black how do I go about taking the cardboard down what pieces have to come out in order to do this. Plus my car is sunroof does anyone already make a pre cut one that I can just glue to the board and install?

It's pretty simple but time consuming You will need to remove the sun visors, the switch box above the mirror, the A-pillar trim cover either side of the windshield, the trim cover over the doors, the sunroof, sunroof fastener, and the 3rd brake light. Expect the trim clips to break. You can get replacements from The Fiero Store. My suggestion: Buy them and a couple of spares of each kind. You may need to pull out the B-pillar covers behind the driver and passenger seats, I did.

When I pulled the headliner out, it broke in several places. Rather than repair it then, I purchased an ABS headliner from The Fiero Store that was already covered. It had the sunroof cut-out and all I had to do was cut out the sunroof opening in the fabric. TFS headliners come in standard Fiero interior colours plus black. They also sell the ABS headliner backing uncovered.

When you go to re-install the headliner, use new headliner moulding around the sunroof. The old one is likely to be brittle, dirty, or has shrunk due to the heat from the sun.

Be careful when reinstalling. I got windshield sealant from the rear window on mine. Careful dabbing and rubbing with lacquer thinner lifted it off. Using too much can "melt" the foam backing . Acetone definitely will melt the backing so don't use it. (I learned that putting a headliner in another car in my youth.) Mineral spirits, kerosene, or paint thinner may lift it off but it makes a bigger mess and you're likely to see the spot if you have any headliner colour other than black. Do not use methylated spirits or gasoline. These have a really low flash-point and they are dangerous. Of course, that goes for any flammable product that you use so BE CAREFUL.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

[This message has been edited by Mike in Sydney (edited 03-12-2020).]

pontiacfierokid1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2020 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Headliner is done thanks for all the advice everyone this is my first fiero of 4 that actually has a headliner in it I’m in love with it lol

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock