Dash Lights by treborerellim
Started on: 01-29-2020 10:59 AM
Replies: 6 (196 views)
Last post by: theogre on 02-02-2020 01:40 AM
treborerellim

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2020 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for treborerellimSend a Private Message to treborerellimEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Greetings all, last night I was driving down the road and all my instrument lights went out. I looked at all the fuses and they seem to be whole. Is it possible for fuse to blow and you can't see it. Is there any place else I should go looking . Appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Much thanks, Bob
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2020 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know it seems odd, but check the light bulbs in back.....both running lights and brake lights. Yes it is possible that the fuse looks good but is bad.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 01-29-2020).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2020 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can be one to several things cutting power etc. to dash and other light bulbs connected to the dimmer.
See my Cave, Dash Dimmer

Replace 5a Inst LP fuse even if looks good. Sometimes Fuses can break internally w/o blowing outright making iffy/no contact between terminals.

If has LED... Most LED for cars won't dim right w/ most dimmers. Turn dimmer even a little often makes LED to turn off.

Fiero FSM and most others have errors for dash bulbs. Correct bulb layout for the dash... https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/138175.html

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 01-29-2020).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2020 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ogre beat me to it.
I've seen several instances of dash lights just "going out".
The problem has always been the transistor / heat sink assembly. (It's under the dash, between the steering column and the radio pod. You'll have to stand on your head to see it.)

The quick and dirty fix is probably to just solder the transistor pins into the socket on the heat sink. (Remove/unplug the assembly from under the dash, first. Held in by a couple of fasteners.)
Be sure to use rosin core solder, and don't over heat the pins.

Don't worry about the white paste that you'll see. It's thermal compound. It's supposed to be there. It is not corrosion.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2020 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just replaced a trunk light fuse that didn't look blown. We expect them to blow in the big visible area. This one had blown at the very end where the element attached to the pin. I actually didn't find it until after I had replaced it with another fuse and the light came on. It took very close inspection to see the break.
treborerellim

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2020 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for treborerellimSend a Private Message to treborerellimEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I went ahead and put a working dimmer switch on from another car and I checked the fuse panel the 5 amp instrument LP was dead on both sides removed to fuse and checked the clips and they were both off with ignition on and lights up. Not quite sure where to go next. Would appreciate any thoughts

Thanks, Bob
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2020 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Inst LP is to protect the trans. You can bypass the trans to deliver "12v" and not blown that fuse.

If 5a fuse was obviously blown.... You have to look at all bulbs and sockets first.
Example: dash sockets can break metal part that could get loose and short out the dash "board."
If can't find it that way then maybe a wire problem like wire hit sharp metal and cut thru insulation. short finder might help if still blows fuses... example: https://www.amazon.com/Tool...ester/dp/B000RFLR0U/

Besides dash bulbs, dimmer controls lights for cig lighter, heat/ac head, at shifter, maybe ashtrays, aux inst pod in GT, maybe a few others.
ETA-->radio light and chime unit. Dimmer off then Chime won't ding for HL lights.

If any fuse breaks then can be just old age.
Fuses get heat cycles causing stress in metal and can break.
If someone adds more load like using bright dash bulbs and/or adds more normal bulbs... Might not push 5a but extra load just speeds up this issue.

Most People don't know Fuses are Very low value Resisters and get heated a bit in normal use.
Then add cabin temps reach 160-200°F to lowest Temp in winter.
Just Heat/cold over 30+ years can stress any Electrical part. Car power isn't very stable either causing stress in E parts too.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 02-02-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock