hood ajar switch / light by edfiero
Started on: 11-11-2019 07:50 PM
Replies: 12 (721 views)
Last post by: David Riedle on 12-03-2019 08:52 PM
edfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2019 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After years with no hood light I finally put in a bulb but it doesn't work. Used a known good bulb.
Turned on headlight and park light. Still nothing.

It seems the issue is that I don't have a normal looking ajar switch. There is something in the spot where the switch would go, next to the hood latch, but it's just a little 'nub' with no moving parts. It does appear to contact the hood when it's closed.

Has anyone come across a Fiero like this before?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2019 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you post a picture?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2019 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The switch and wiring is likely all corroded underneath.
Take it out and clean it up or replace it.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/000113.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2019 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
jam switches often won't last long here because not make to be used in wet areas.

If you clean/replace then try silicone/brake grease to prevent polluted water getting on it and contacts.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-12-2019).]

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2019 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's what I have where others have a 'normal' ajar switch.

[This message has been edited by edfiero (edited 11-13-2019).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have not seen a switch with a base like that on a Fiero.
Perhaps it is from another car.
In any case, it may be stuck. It does appear too short to function properly to trigger the light.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2019 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is a jam switch w/ big "nut" vs. most door jam switches.

Short plunger = spring etc is bad and not make to be fix other then replacing them.

All jams switches of this type self adjust right after install as you close the door or whatever.

Not actual size may not even fit a Fiero. Just an extra I have.
Before initial install, the nut is loose on the tube so wires doesn't get twisted.
The plunger pushed in pushes the plastic and 2 contacts off the bottom of outer tube cutting ground to them.

I've Never seen one made to take wet area locations. In Fact Many Doors like Fiero have extra bellows to keep out crap. Most are gone after 20+ years and only the washer w/ a bit of rubber is there.

Note: If nut is bigger then most likely hard to impossible to find. Most of aftermarket only carry parts like above used by millions of cars. Even GM/ACDelco may not have this.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2019 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In reference to the plunger switch in your cowl.....

That is a door switch from an 84 or 85, mounts to the B pillar door jam.
It is likely stuck, and is too short for the hood application.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2019 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most of the door jam switch types do experience corrosion and eventually the switch continuity is lost. When the spring is not broken I have had luck restoring operation by cleaning with a fine wire brush. If you need a new one the Fiero Store should have them.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Fiero Turbo NS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2019 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero Turbo NSSend a Private Message to Fiero Turbo NSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello, If I remember correctly, my old fiero under hood light would only come on when I also turned on the interior dome light with the switch inside, the thumb wheel below the headlight switch. curious if this works for you?
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2019 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero Turbo NS is on track. Turn on your parking lights and then check to see if the light is lighted. The front compartment light is needed only at night, when you would possibly have the lights turned on.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 11-30-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
REDLINE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2019 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for REDLINESend a Private Message to REDLINEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rock Auto has new replacement jam switches for $4-6 if you want to go with another. I just got one for my rear deck lid to operate the trunk light on my 355 kit. Removed the latch switch so I wouldn't have to run the wires under it. Works perfect.
David Riedle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2019 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David RiedleSend a Private Message to David RiedleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stupid question here...

Where is this light located? I was wondering what this switch was for.

A bit off topic, sort of, is that my battery goes dead when I leave the car for about 3 weeks. The trunk light was disconnected when I purchased the car, so I re-connected it. My battery went dead after a few weeks when I did not drive the car. I took it to the East Penn distributor who checked the battery by charging it up with another batter to get juice in the battery, then slow charging it. It worked fine, and kept the charge up when I drove it every few days.

I did not drive the car for more than 3 weeks, and when I went to start it, dead again. Now I think maybe the switch is bad or not adjusted correctly, because it's actually quite difficult to remove both wires from the switch...and why would BOTH be disconnected from the switch?

More work for spring...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock