Identify This Pipe by Brent7088
Started on: 10-02-2019 10:31 AM
Replies: 13 (346 views)
Last post by: pmbrunelle on 10-03-2019 12:20 PM
Brent7088

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2019 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Brent7088Send a Private Message to Brent7088Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quick question here -- Can anyone tell me what exactly this pipe is, the purpose of it and if it's supposed to be open-ended like this? I've been having idling issues lately and thought maybe this was the culprit. It's located near the firewall.

Thank you

[This message has been edited by Brent7088 (edited 10-02-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2019 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brent7088

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2019 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Brent7088Send a Private Message to Brent7088Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Gall - I wasn't aware this was part of the recall. It has been like this for the longest time but I assume the PO had this done. I am assuming it can be left as/is at this point then.

[This message has been edited by Brent7088 (edited 10-02-2019).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2019 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brent7088:

I am assuming it can be left as/is at this point then.

From This thread...

Originally posted by Patrick:

Hopefully that pipe was disconnected from your air filter canister during the recall (and the canister hole plugged), otherwise that uncapped pipe has been allowing outside unfiltered air to enter into the filtered side of your air intake system all these years.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-02-2019).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2019 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wish we could have a sticky thread about the "mystery pipe". People ask this same question about once a week.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

People ask this same question about once a week.

Maybe we should start giving different answers... the wilder, the better.

Brent7088

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 06:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Brent7088Send a Private Message to Brent7088Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My apologies for having to repeat a question like this... I had no idea how to search for it in the archived questions. Now I know it's supposed to be there and to leave it be.
ChuckR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckRSend a Private Message to ChuckREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was eventually going to ask this same question as I found both sides open while doing some wrenching over the weekend. This should indeed be a sticky titled mystery pipe. So long and short is it don't need to be there and take it out. Thanks for the info!
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brent7088:
I had no idea how to search for it in the archived questions.

I use google to find my stuff, not the PFF internal search engine.

I use the term "site:fiero.nl" in google when I want to find something on here.

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My thoughts about using the search function are that there is probably information on this forum to answer every possible question that could be asked about a Fiero. For the past few years I and others have noted the decline in postings. Perhaps this is due to people using the search function. If everyone used the search function, none of us would know one another and would not have made friends (or enemies) and the forum would just be stagnant.

Keep asking those questions.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

I wish we could have a sticky thread about the "mystery pipe". People ask this same question about once a week.

It's in the FAQs and How To section...

... but then it's under RECALL not "mystery pipe"...

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-03-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ChuckR:

II found both sides open while doing some wrenching over the weekend. This should indeed be a sticky titled mystery pipe. So long and short is it don't need to be there and take it out.

Easier said than done. The unused tube is part of an assembly that includes a second smaller tube which is used to supply filtered air to the EGR solenoid. Just make sure either the unused tube is capped, or disconnect it from the air filter canister and plug the hole in the canister.
ChuckR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckRSend a Private Message to ChuckREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Easier said than done. The unused tube is part of an assembly that includes a second smaller tube which is used to supply filtered air to the EGR solenoid. Just make sure either the unused tube is capped, or disconnect it from the air filter canister and plug the hole in the canister.

Good to know. However I didn't see this since the EGR and all its accessories are missing from mine.PO did EGR delete. Just wondering, how hard would it be to run just a new line for the smaller EGR line if one wanted to clean up the engine bay and actually still had the EGR? Couldn't be too difficult right?

Originally posted by fierofool:

My thoughts about using the search function are that there is probably information on this forum to answer every possible question that could be asked about a Fiero. For the past few years I and others have noted the decline in postings. Perhaps this is due to people using the search function. If everyone used the search function, none of us would know one another and would not have made friends (or enemies) and the forum would just be stagnant.

Keep asking those questions.

Thank you for having this attitude. Sometimes new guys use the search function and dont find the answer, dont think the answer they find is relevant to their exact issue, or dont know the right search terms to get the right results. I have not seen the " use search" attitude on PFF really and that is nice. But all too often you get that answer on forums. And you point is valid, why be active on a forum if all the answers are in the archive.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2019 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ChuckR:
Good to know. However I didn't see this since the EGR and all its accessories are missing from mine.PO did EGR delete. Just wondering, how hard would it be to run just a new line for the smaller EGR line if one wanted to clean up the engine bay and actually still had the EGR? Couldn't be too difficult right?

If you're the kind of guy that wants to do an engine swap, hopefully dealing with an EGR line should be trivial.

Difficulty/effort is related to the quality level you're shooting for, and your abilities.

Edit: a good stock-style replacement would involve the following:
1. Bent brake line
2. A "bubble flare" at each end, to prevent the rubber lines from coming off
3. Steel mounting tabs, welded or soldered to the line
4. Sandblast + paint

Difficulty is related to your ability to perform each of these steps, and whether you choose to omit any of these.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 10-03-2019).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock