Replacing battery tray. Coating? by CSM842M4
Started on: 06-14-2019 03:34 PM
Replies: 10 (299 views)
Last post by: pmbrunelle on 06-18-2019 10:16 PM
CSM842M4

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2019 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, the battery tray in my '86 GT from Rhode Island rusted to pieces (imagine that), so I'm building a replacement to bolt in its place. I've been thinking since I started this venture about how best to coat the tray to keep from having to do this again. The answer I believe I've come up with is to shoot it with truck bed liner, unless anyone here has a better idea...? Thanks in advance - Chris
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2019 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put mine up front in a fiberglass mounting....Plastic is the only thing that really holds up to battery acid....Why they don't mount all batteries in plastic (Container) trays and then have a drain that hangs away from frames and suspension is beyond me....Even "sealed" batteries leak stuff, and with our batteries exposed to rain in the stock location, any acid residue on the top will wash down onto.....THE METAL FRAME! (Even my CA car)

I put a plastic sheet over the battery when it was in the stock location to keep most of the rain off.....
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2019 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
POR 15 is your friend for this.

------------------
1987 Fiero GT T-Top
2012 Kia Forte Koup
2017 Kia Forte S

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover
FieroNews Windshield Banners
FieroNews Hoodies and T-Shirts

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2019 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know only about an older school approach. I brush on Duro navel jelly, let it sit for a while, re-apply again, rinse off completely, let it dry, then paint the whole battery tray area with Rustoleum and a brush. Please note that I used (and hope they still sell) the kind of Rustoleum primer that has FISH OIL in it. It used to be kind of a reddish brown color. And man, does it take a long time to dry between coats! Another tip is to NOT let the battery sit directly on top of the metal tray. Put a plastic liner or thin piece of plywood on the battery tray first!
Thanks, Kit
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2019 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:
I put mine up front in a fiberglass mounting....Plastic is the only thing that really holds up to battery acid....Why they don't mount all batteries in plastic (Container) trays and then have a drain that hangs away from frames and suspension is beyond me....Even "sealed" batteries leak stuff, and with our batteries exposed to rain in the stock location, any acid residue on the top will wash down onto.....THE METAL FRAME! (Even my CA car)

None of these things you're proposing helps to sell new cars, therefore it is illogical to include them in the design of the car.

Nevertheless, a tray with a drain (and hose going to the ground) is exactly what I implemented for my Fiero:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/142133.html#p8

Since making a plastic tray is going to be complicated for most folks, I would suggest using an Optima-style battery that doesn't leak acid.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2019 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I added an ‘acid neutralizing mat’ under my batterey a few years ago. got off of ebay. Maybe time to go look how well it's holding up but at worst it cannot have hurt any!

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2019 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For anyone that has replaced the tray(s) - how did you attach it to the car as the original was spot welded into place. Did you just screw it in or rivets or???

I bought a new tray several years ago, but the original is still in pretty good shape. It was just something I noted that would have to be taken care of in the future (also the fact that the tray is in 2 pieces).
robymon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2019 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for robymonSend a Private Message to robymonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Other options are powder coat and roofing tar.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2019 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

For anyone that has replaced the tray(s) - how did you attach it to the car as the original was spot welded into place. Did you just screw it in or rivets or???

I bought a new tray several years ago, but the original is still in pretty good shape. It was just something I noted that would have to be taken care of in the future (also the fact that the tray is in 2 pieces).

I (mostly) replaced the rows of spot welds with rows of rivnuts. I wanted my battery tray to be removable.

Rivnuts install just like pop-rivets, but they leave a female thread in which a bolt can be threaded.

Pic:
https://www.fieromontreal.c...86.msg35404#msg35404
CSM842M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2019 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to all for the ideas. At this point, the factory tray is beyond salvaging - the little that remains after I cut away the rusted bits wouldn't hold a battery to save its life. The replacement tray is in the works, but it's for a lead/acid battery. I like the idea of an Optima battery; maybe when the current unit shoots craps... Toward that end, I'm curious, pmbrunelle - is your riv-nut installation holding up?
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2019 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know; my Fiero has been undergoing an overhaul for the last 2-1/2 years, with at least another 1/2 year before I'm "done". I'll know for sure when I drive the car.

That said, the rivnuts look and feel quite beefy; I don't have doubts that they'll hold. How strong they are depends on the size and material as well; these are steel M6 rivnuts.

If the rivnuts were a smaller size, or made of aluminium, I'm not sure they would be strong enough (doesn't mean they wouldn't hold though). I don't like aluminium rivnuts, because corrosion is accelerated when dissimilar metals touch each other (i.e. the aluminium rivnut touching the steel body).

The downside of the steel rivnuts is that they're tougher to install; they may require a more expensive rivnut tool, with long handles, that can handle lots of force.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock