1988GT LF3 / F40 Build by msweldon
Started on: 02-05-2019 05:49 PM
Replies: 9 (160 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 02-06-2019 05:53 PM
msweldon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2019 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonClick Here to Email msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This swap will share quite a bit with Daryl M's LFX build, although he is several steps ahead of me as well as having much more free time to work on it than I....

Just getting into this by testing vertical clearances last night into the cradle after removal of the coolant base oil cooler and to see if the stock front mount bracket needs to be 86'd...

Did some initial vertical sizing up of the LF3/F40 combo last night...

[This message has been edited by msweldon (edited 02-05-2019).]

IP: Logged

Daryl M

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2019 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MClick Here to Email Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What a great swap! I will be watching with great interest. What version of F40 are you using?

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (44)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2019 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks like a fun swap!

Does the oil pan have an oil pan?
I also noticed we have the same tastes in harbor freight floor jacks!

msweldon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2019 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonClick Here to Email msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daryl M:

What a great swap! I will be watching with great interest. What version of F40 are you using?

2008 Saab 9-3 2.8T V6

msweldon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2019 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonClick Here to Email msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Looks like a fun swap!

Does the oil pan have an oil pan?
I also noticed we have the same tastes in harbor freight floor jacks!

Yeah..the pan has a pan...real PITA since I can't set the motor down on concrete to level it with the cradle without crushing it....

Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2019 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MClick Here to Email Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Does the center axle shaft bearing carrier line up with the F40? What is the carrier from?

msweldon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2019 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonClick Here to Email msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daryl M:

Does the center axle shaft bearing carrier line up with the F40? What is the carrier from?

The carrier bearing bracket is from the same Saab 9-3 turbo v6 or LP1 which is more or less the same block as ours.. For the LFX it should bolt up perfectly to the block, as was my ASSumption for the LF3, however on the LF3 the leftmost bolt hole in the bracket lands right on the turbo oil drain tube flange. I had to cut off the third mount hole to get it mated for axle alignment etc...

The stock lf3/xts bracket does not work nor does any other carrier bracket from an automatic AFAIK.

Debating on building a lower support bracket for the Saab bracket or cutting up the xts bracket and building a plate steel adapter to the block. Leaning toward the Saab bracket as everything lines up great now just need additional support.

Fyi, I tried a gmc Acadia motor mount carrier combo mount and although it bolts up the alignment once again is for an automatic.

Also, using the beefy cobalt turbo axles to handle the power this should produce....just have to swap out the axle stubs first

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (159)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2019 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpClick Here to Email mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

when you float the engine for mounts i used 2x4 and then pulled the 2x4's when i built the mounts.

Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2019 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MClick Here to Email Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mmeyer86gt/gtp:

when you float the engine for mounts i used 2x4 and then pulled the 2x4's when i built the mounts.

I used the blocks from the giant Jenga game I made for the grandkids out of 2x4s . worked great to block the motor/tranny in place. I also made a custom dolly for the cradle out of scrap steel to role the thing under the car.

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (44)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2019 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by msweldon:

Yeah..the pan has a pan...real PITA since I can't set the motor down on concrete to level it with the cradle without crushing it....

I am sure you have some old Fiero sway bar links sitting around somewhere. Cut about 6 or 8 of them flush with the secondary pan and get longer oil pan bolts. Make some stands that protrude slightly below the pan. Weld some 1 x 1/8" bar between them to help stabilize them if needed.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock