Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Was just given this Fiero GT ... Engine swap questions (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Was just given this Fiero GT ... Engine swap questions by Flaxxer
Started on: 07-29-2018 01:56 PM
Replies: 47 (1258 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 09-11-2018 09:09 PM
Flaxxer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2018 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlaxxerSend a Private Message to FlaxxerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, do I feel late to the party! I have never really considered the Fiero even. Didn't know much about them. Then a good friend, who knew I had always wanted a kit car with a V8, had this 87 Fiero delivered to my place, without telling me it was even coming my way. The interior is very clean. The body needs some minor fiberglass filling, and a new paint job. It has a Ferrari front end, upgraded brake system, rear strut tower brace, a few more mods, and the overheating issue has been properly modified. There was one more very common issue with these cars, and it has also already been remedied. The downside is, the car sat outside for the past 5 years without running. It was pulled in and parked while still running just fine however. So I am in the process of trying to get it started now.
Although I am not positive what engine I will be choosing, I am definitely planning an engine swap. I will start a different thread for that.

Anyone who is still interested in Fieros, feel free to chime in with any advice you feel free to share. I am a sponge.

[url=This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.20180725_091809 by Cullen Graham, on Flickr][/url]

[url=20180725_091643 by Cullen Graham, on Flickr][/url]

[url=]20180725_091606 by Cullen Graham, on Flickr[/url]

[This message has been edited by Flaxxer (edited 07-29-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2018 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum!
Enjoy your new car!

There are a lot of helpful people here, and a lot of knowledge to be had.
Flaxxer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2018 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlaxxerSend a Private Message to FlaxxerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh yeah, it also has badly cracked side panel acrylic rear windows. And one of my taillights has to be replaced. That's probably $700 alone. I guess my first question is, is tere anyone still making any Ferrari body parts for the Fiero? I see the Ferrari taillights on cars, as well as what may have been a rear hatch replacement with 308 - 328 slight trunk spoiler. But I do not find them for sale online anywhere. Is that a thing of the past?

[This message has been edited by Flaxxer (edited 07-29-2018).]

Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2018 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's a guy that is making (in development) tail lights for the GT on the forum. Don't go buying anything tail light wise just yet, as they are looking very good so far, and rumor has it they will be way more affordable than 700$, and that would be for a SET of them.

As for engines, you have an endless list. Most common is a Gen 2 3.8 supercharged out of the late 90's, early 2000's Buick Regals, Pontiac GTPs, etc... This is the easiest way to get high HP, and there are vendors all over the place that make all you need to bolt this baby in.

You also have the 4.9 V8 out of the early 90's Cadillacs. This is the easiest way to get that v8 roar. Lots of parts are made for this swap, too.

Easiest engine swap of them all is a 3.4 pushrod out of the mid 90's Camaros. It's practically bolt in... Swap Fiero's 2.8 intake over, water pump, drill hole to move the starter location and done.

There's WAYYYY more possibilities for swaps, too. Some have even put in some SBCs, LS engines, K20s....

You'll see if you do research around here. Lots of documentation around these parts, and a lot of help if you need it.

Good luck with it! See you around!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

[This message has been edited by Shho13 (edited 07-29-2018).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2018 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Flaxxer:

Wow, do I feel late to the party! I have never really considered the Fiero even. Didn't know much about them. Then a good friend, who knew I had always wanted a kit car with a V8, had this 87 Fiero delivered to my place, without telling me it was even coming my way. The interior is very clean. The body needs some minor fiberglass filling, and a new paint job. It has a Ferrari front end, upgraded brake system, rear strut tower brace, a few more mods, and the overheating issue has been properly modified. There was one more very common issue with these cars, and it has also already been remedied. The downside is, the car sat outside for the past 5 years without running. It was pulled in and parked while still running just fine however. So I am in the process of trying to get it started now.
Although I am not positive what engine I will be choosing, I am definitely planning an engine swap. I will start a different thread for that.

Anyone who is still interested in Fieros, feel free to chime in with any advice you feel free to share. I am a sponge.

[url=This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.20180725_091809 by Cullen Graham, on Flickr][/url]

[url=20180725_091643 by Cullen Graham, on Flickr][/url]

[url=]20180725_091606 by Cullen Graham, on Flickr[/url]

If you want it to be California emissions compliant, then your list of engine swaps will shrink ESPECIALLY if you want a manual transmission.
California recognizes emissions equipment as being within the transmission of later cars because of the feedback required by the ECM.
So choose something that fits your skills, budget and time frame.

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 07-29-2018).]

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2018 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by mmeyer86gt/gtp (edited 07-29-2018).]

Flaxxer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2018 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlaxxerSend a Private Message to FlaxxerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shho13:

There's a guy that is making (in development) tail lights for the GT on the forum. Don't go buying anything tail light wise just yet, as they are looking very good so far, and rumor has it they will be way more affordable than 700$, and that would be for a SET of them.

As for engines, you have an endless list. Most common is a Gen 2 3.8 supercharged out of the late 90's, early 2000's Buick Regals, Pontiac GTPs, etc... This is the easiest way to get high HP, and there are vendors all over the place that make all you need to bolt this baby in.

You also have the 4.9 V8 out of the early 90's Cadillacs. This is the easiest way to get that v8 roar. Lots of parts are made for this swap, too.

Easiest engine swap of them all is a 3.4 pushrod out of the mid 90's Camaros. It's practically bolt in... Swap Fiero's 2.8 intake over, water pump, drill hole to move the starter location and done.

There's WAYYYY more possibilities for swaps, too. Some have even put in some SBCs, LS engines, K20s....

You'll see if you do research around here. Lots of documentation around these parts, and a lot of help if you need it.

Good luck with it! See you around!

Wow. Thanks for such an informative post. A lot of info I needed in in spot. I'd like to ask a few questions, and find out
if I am in the right way of thinking.

When I search Pontica Fiero body kits, very little comes up. I would expect this of a 30 yr old car. But I just need to know
if these are full custom, or if it is possible, without TONS of custom fabrication. I love the look.

[img]DSCN1187 by Cullen Graham, on Flickr[/img]

[img]98b8ca1b617887a42861221d4543b057 by Cullen Graham, on Flickr[/img]

Since this is the front end I have, I feel I am somewhat limited to this look, which is why I was asking about the tail lights.
The side panels are almost a grand for the pair !

[img]B0BF296A-C396-4AD5-B6A5-CB3D86C3AB88_4 by Cullen Graham, on Flickr[/img]

[img]B0BF296A-C396-4AD5-B6A5-CB3D86C3AB88_8 by Cullen Graham, on Flickr[/img]

I would love to hear input on what would work well with the front end I have, WHICH IS ALSO STILL AVAILABE. I work well with fiberglass,
but would prefer not to do any more than necessary really, lol. Nasty work!

Thank you guys for the welcome.

[This message has been edited by Flaxxer (edited 07-30-2018).]

mad dad matt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2018 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mad dad mattSend a Private Message to mad dad mattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum.You have hit the mother load of information on fieros.I started with the same thought "I need a v8 fiero" The V8 looks and sounds cool but not the top performer on the list of possible swaps.
1)A good place to look at what is involved with common swaps is westcoastfiero.com some parts are inferior quality and high price compared to sight vendors but it gives you an idea of what each swap requires.They will sell you more parts than you actually need.
2)Allot of the parts are strait out of the GM parts bin but the fiero name makes them hard to find. www.scribd.com/doc/18307992...s-Interchange-Manual this sight is the part exchange.For example if you need a trunk switch the same part was used on these years of corvete.
3)Sail windows,side vents,deck lids.......... check out http://www.fierofiberglass.com
That should be a good start for you.
Flaxxer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2018 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlaxxerSend a Private Message to FlaxxerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mad Dad Matt ! Thank you. This helps a TON. I would love to hear more about the better choice than a V8. I am open minded, and was planning on posting later today,
letting you guys know my limitations and capabilities, then asking what my best engine options were from there. I will still be doing that. I really do think the forum should
probably know just a bit about me, to help make the best recommendation for my engine swap. I have to go to work, but will be back this evening.
Thanks so much! This seems to be a really helpful and happening place.
OntarioKev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2018 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OntarioKevSend a Private Message to OntarioKevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are your goals speed/performance wise? Its a lot easier to suggest an engine swap if we understand your goals.

What is fast to you? What kind of acceleration are you looking for?
Flaxxer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2018 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlaxxerSend a Private Message to FlaxxerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello Kev from Ontario. That is a great point. While any level of acceleration seems slower as time goes on, I can say my high 9 second Mustang always seemed fast to me. But I have no desire for that anymore.
I am 51 years old, and just LOVE the idea of engine swaps in general. I have zero clue how Fieros run, at different horsepower levels. But I would think a 12 second Fiero would be fun. I'm way more interested in zero to 100, than I am going 170. I enjoy torque and acceleration more than top speed. Changing gears, and being put back into your seat is what thrills me. That, and traction !

I am NOT a mechanic. I am very, very good with my hands. There is not much I can not do, when I need to. But I M SO NOT A MECHANIC. I have bolted on lots of parts over the past 30 years. I have a 4 door garage, with a LOT of tools. I have compressor, and a LOT of tools. Plenty of room to work and swap engines. There is no problem there. Just my limited knowledge.
BUT, I have mechanic friends! Another issue is, I am NOT made of money, after my recent divorce. So that will have to be considered, when I am purchasing a used engine. I will not be at my best on any angine swap which is known to be one of the most difficult options. I can weld, and cut. But if there was a Fiero god, a drop in option that fit my bill would be the better way, LOL.

I live on the beautiful Mendocino coast in CA. And my goal is to have an extremely fun car to drive on these race track like roads. I want neck snapping acceleration, and good handling. I am wanting to drive it CALMLY
as a daily driver. So I want dependable. I also want ALL of my creature comforts to work … AC, etc. Thanks again.

I should add this. The ONLY reason I was considering a V8 swap, is I have always assumed a non modified, higher horsepower V8, stuck in a smaller and lighter car than it was intended for, would make
for identical factory reliability, since it would not need to be modified for high power. Also seemed easier and more simple than large turbos, fully built motors, etc.

BUT, I am open to a V6 if it will give me what I am looking for.

PFF
System Bot
Flaxxer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2018 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlaxxerSend a Private Message to FlaxxerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Flaxxer

22 posts
Member since Jul 2018
I like the thought of a 3800 Series II Supercharged option. Seems fairly easy. But I bet it's an expensive used motor to find.

And I just damn near cried, when I found out Fiero Fiberglass is going away, and no longer has GT style sail panels. They also
don't have any more Ferrari body parts … late to the game, LOL.

Ravant

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2018 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RavantSend a Private Message to RavantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I like the thought of a 3800 Series II Supercharged option. Seems fairly easy. But I bet it's an expensive used motor to find.

And I just damn near cried, when I found out Fiero Fiberglass is going away, and no longer has GT style sail panels. They also
don't have any more Ferrari body parts … late to the game, LOL.

L67's aren't that pricey. Mine was $1,200 for everything shipped. (Computer, wiring harness, flexplate, intake, supercharger, all the accessories on the serp. belt, etc.) I could have very well swapped it in as-is and gotten a running, driving Fiero with 240 horsepower, 280 ft-lbs of torque (as opposed to the stock 92/135 I started with...) for next to no money at all. But I'm throwing a bunch of ZZPerformance go-fast goodies onto the motor first.
OntarioKev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2018 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OntarioKevSend a Private Message to OntarioKevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are many of us with 3800SC swaps. If low 12s are your goal though, you have to make a decision.

The cheapest way to go low 12s is with some boltons/tuning to the 3800SC and an auto 4t65e-hd transmission from the grand prix/regal/whatever else it came in.

If you want manual and low 12s the cheapest way is likely getting the 3800SC engine, and converting it to a turbo.

If I am wrong please point me to some threads with people on low modded 3800SCs running low 12s on a manual transmission, but not a lot come to mind. For drag racing the autos work well.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/098377.html recently ran a 12.1 with a lightly modded 3800SC. I am hoping to get to the track myself soon as I am almost done the Muncie to 4t65e-hd swap myself.

The V8 swaps tend to be expensive, and a lot of people to save some money go with the less powerful v8, which tend to put only 300ish hp to the wheels. Last time I was at the dyno my 3800Sc put 330hp to the wheels, and there is a lot more to be made with a few changes. That's with a lighter engine as well then most V8s (unless you go for an all aluminum LS which is a more expensive engine).

My personal opinion is if you aren't adding turbo, don't put in a V8 rated for less then 450hp to the crank, you can likely get better performance out of a 3800SC for less money.

There have been a few people who posted some serious power/track times with a turbo converted 3800 as well, so keep that in mind as well.
Darrelk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2018 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DarrelkClick Here to visit Darrelk's HomePageSend a Private Message to DarrelkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another vote for the 3800 SC II swap. I had one with the 4t65ehd about 10 years ago and just picked up Darbysan's converted 87 with that same tranny again. I tell you, I think I am addicted to these things. I've been building/rebuilding kit cars for the last 40 years and these are my favorite cars to build off of and "real world" drive on the streets. I drive the Fiero based 3800 swaps twice as much as my other builds. Mid to high 12's easily even fairly stock and great fuel economy. I'm not much of a track guy but I do like to do a little "on the roll " fun now and then. I've driven several of the V8 swaps (nope, never felt compelled to actually own one) over the years and the 3800 SC just feels more "natural" in the car. My wife really likes the overdrive 4th in these cars as well.....puts her right to sleep..... One of GMs most popular engine/tranny combos so they are still pretty reasonable at just about any recycler yard.
Flaxxer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2018 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlaxxerSend a Private Message to FlaxxerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay then … Seems like the 3800 SC II it will be then. Thanks for the info and opinions.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2018 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Okay then … Seems like the 3800 SC II it will be then. Thanks for the info and opinions.

Don't forget that you need the transmission with the engine. I do not recommend mix matching parts, because trouble shooting does not sound like your game. I recommend getting an entire donor car that runs and drives. Then take EVERYTHING you need from it, sell the rest.
I don't know how familiar you are with CA smog laws, but computer reflashing is not acceptable (if they find out about it). You need a lot of components to prevent the SES light from lighting up. I have heard of people disabling the light, BUT the smog Ref needs to see the light function to pass the car.
Making an engine swap legal in California can be the most challenging part of an engine swap, because some swaps are literally illegal and will never pass.
The 3800 can pass, but you need to do some home work and be happy with the automatic that comes with it.
Functional A/C will also be a hurdle, but is doable.
Flaxxer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2018 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlaxxerSend a Private Message to FlaxxerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Rickady88GT. More good info. You are dead on too. Troubleshooting will most likely have to be what I pay mechanics for. That is my biggest weakness. The one thing I am not at all stuck on, is a particular transmission. Auto or Manual, does not matter to me. So I can easily accept going with that engine's recommended automatic matching transmission. Functioning AC is nice IF EASY. But where I live, it is not at all needed. Preferred, but not needed.
Getting a donor car … I will have to research just what cars the 3800 SC II came in. I was originally hoping to stay under $1500 for the used engine. I'm not sure a donor car can be had for that.
As far as smog … I have that covered. There is THE BEST ALL TIME cop/smog story I will share with you guys in the proper sub forum! I will put a link in this thread, when I post it. It will be titled "The Nevada Snow Trip Thru Hell" …. It relates to what we are speaking of regarding Cali Smog Laws and modified cars.

There are a couple of different Fiero websites I have found, which gives a full parts list of everything needed to do any particular engine swap, including the 3800 SC II. So that will really help. But yeah … You're dead on about me being able to troubleshoot and make a car run correctly. This I will have to pay for along the way. No problem though. I can trade my work for mechanic work.

[This message has been edited by Flaxxer (edited 07-31-2018).]

Flaxxer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2018 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlaxxerSend a Private Message to FlaxxerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Flaxxer

22 posts
Member since Jul 2018
The total in parts to swap the 3800 SC II seems to be $4200 plus the price of engine and transmission. Soooo, now I want to know how many of the parts on that list can be had from any one donor car. I think I am starting to understand Rickady88GTs suggestion of buying a donor car, as being the less expensive way! I would be probably $6000 in PARTS ALONE to do the engine swap. This is NOT something I would be willing to do. I bet I could buy a converted Fiero for that kind of dough.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2018 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

… You're dead on about me being able to troubleshoot and make a car run correctly. This I will have to pay for along the way. No problem though. I can trade my work for mechanic work.

One major reason for the complete donor car that drives is because it should not have codes. As you remove the components, you should be careful enough to get everything that keeps the SES light off. This step could save you thousands in labor and diagnostic charges. It is the "ounce of prevention" strategy.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2018 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002
PFF
System Bot
Flaxxer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2018 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlaxxerSend a Private Message to FlaxxerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay. I spent a couple of slightly overwhelmed. Then I realized, due to my circumstances, I will have to accept this as a longer term project than I would have preferred. But I have the car. Which is waaay further ahead than the Sebring MX kit car, which is my dream ride. So I will go ahead and do the conversion when I can, as I can, over time.

I am SO grateful to you guys, for the awesome information and willingness to share. I believe in the Search and research way. But my life allows little time for research, and my limited experience in mechanic work, makes some of what I read, difficult to understand. So I have just a few questions. And some information would allow me to get a realistic idea of what it will take for me to make it happen. If I may …

Would anyone please look at the list on this webpage link, and let me know if a donor car would cover a large majority of the "needed" parts for the conversion? Or do ALL of these parts actually have to be purchased new? AKA, is this list realistic, if you have a donor car? [url=https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0fJJCVwo2qdbzNXSkJkM0JzN1E/view?usp=sharing][/url]

Is there a list anywhere on the site, which shows what model cars, and their years, that have the 3800 SCII in them from the factory?

And this is VERY important … Wouldn't the conversion be less expensive to just hook the 3800 up to my existing 5 speed transmission ?

In your opinion, is $5000 total for the conversion REALISTICALLY possible?

Darrelk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2018 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DarrelkClick Here to visit Darrelk's HomePageSend a Private Message to DarrelkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I can't address everything there but here is a few things..... I think that link is showing West Coast Fiero's lists of needed parts which is quite a bit. Some guys do indeed just pick up a phone and go that route. I think more of us just look at that as a guideline. One of the first places I went to get a "feel" for what was actually going to happen is here.... http://www.gmtuners.com/swap/3800.htm I even called Ryan and talked to him. I felt much better about everything after that and knew what I also felt I could handle a certain amount of fab and wiring work. Had my local mechanic look it as well. He gave me rough quotes on anything I wouldn't be able to handle. Felt pretty good from there....

Okay, your 5 speed. I searched everywhere trying to figure out if I could make that tranny work for even the stockish 3800 SC I would install and how I "might" occasionally drive it. This wasn't even dialing in any future mods. and NO I just couldn't see it.... You are well over 200%+ in torque over a Fiero stock V6. I found out years ago with VW trannies that making them handle 2 to 3 times their original limits only got me a thinner wallet and using the clutch as a fusible link to stop blowing up the trans.

And, last....Sure you could do it for $5000. I knew a guy (this was early on with these conversions) that paid a company $12,000 for it. Also have known at least 3 guys that bought the whole cars did quite a bit themselves and by the time they sold off their parts were under $2000. I did one of the most difficult engine conversions going from 2.8 v6 rear mounted to supercharged 13b rotary rear mounted. Most said it would cost a fortune, wouldn't perform, would overheat, transaxle wouldn't hold it and would cost $10,000 or moer to do. Bought a running rx7. Parted it out, did about half the work myself, and drove it for over 50,000 miles. Total cost after selling off parts.....$4000. And that was a "man in the wilderness" kind of build since I hadn't even met anyone that had done it. This 3800 build is pretty old hat in the Fiero arena. Many, many, people have gone this route. Others will comment on this I'm sure.... There are plenty of knowledgeable people on here that will help you along.

Flaxxer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2018 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlaxxerSend a Private Message to FlaxxerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darrelk:
This 3800 build is pretty old hat in the Fiero arena. Many, many, people have gone this route. Others will comment on this I'm sure.... There are plenty of knowledgeable people on here that will help you along.

Thank you Darrel. I am going forward.

Just need to know which GM cars/yrs had the 3800SC II and the auto 4t65e-hd transmission. I will try and research.
OntarioKev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2018 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OntarioKevSend a Private Message to OntarioKevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For starters 98-03 Grand Prix GTP has the engine/transmission combo you want. 04+ has a better supercharger, but drive by wire so a lot more headaches to deal with to get it to work.

On that List I recommend getting polyurethane mounts all around (no matter whose engine mounts you go with), as the stock rubber mounts don't hold up well (at least they didn't for me). So if you went with the WCF list I would go with everything in the top section ending at the transmission bracket, except the oil filter adapter can likely be found at a wreckers much cheaper.

If you are running the auto you don't need a clutch/flywheel, and I wouldn't mess with the exhaust either. To start use the factory manifolds and crossover, and then just have a local shop whip up something for the manifold on.

You do need to upgrade the fuel pump, but there are plenty of options for that. I don't recommend the C4 corvette pump that some people do, if you get into moding the 3800, it won't cut it for very long. The low mount alternator is nice, I personally did go with it. If you are keeping AC great if not, here is a cheap option: https://zzperformance.com/3...leys-belts/ac-delete (they have all kinds of 3800 performance options).

I personally recommend installing a dogbone, not sure it the WCF is the best choice, there are a lot of options out there.

Intake, you can whip something up. I literally started with an reducer and a flexible intake pipe to the stock Fiero air box. Not great, but it worked until I could make something better.

Axles: Stock automatic Fiero axle for the drivers side, and a hybrid you make out of both Grand Prix axles, and the outside piece of a Fiero manual axle. This is a great lesson on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_VKktIEaTE (this guys channel has a lot of great info on 3800 swap)

The coolant pipes can be made pretty easily with universal pipes, but WCF (or other vendors) parts can make installation and bleeding easier with all their parts, totally up to you.

You will definitely need some PCM reprogramming, I would try to find a local tuner with GM experience for that, because of your California issues.

This swap can be done for way less than $5000 in parts not including the engine though.

Flaxxer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2018 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlaxxerSend a Private Message to FlaxxerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Uhh … no. I meant $5000 including the motor and transmission.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2018 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would certainly encourage anyone to do an engine swap in a Fiero, especially if it contains a badly worn 30+ yr old engine. Your Fiero is a stick so with a new flywheel the 3800SC will bolt right up to your 5 speed trans. You will need a front engine mount, a way to reroute the belts, a dog bone, a wiring harness, a custom exhaust, stronger clutch and all the water and fuel line hookups. The A/C hookup will require custom hoses. Just bear in mind that the Getrag trans was not designed to handle 3800 power. If the box is in good shape, (provided that you are not regularly heavy on the throttle) it should last. Go racing-probably not!
If you use all plug and play parts, then you should be able to do a DIY swap within your budget. Just to be safe I would allow 100 hrs of labor for a first time effort. Fierorog, West Coast Fiero, and other vendors here sell swap parts. Roger sells a very good tensioner bracket that saves a lot of work.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

mad dad matt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2018 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mad dad mattSend a Private Message to mad dad mattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just read all the posts,been on vacation.Can completely relate.Similar age,ex-wife,and automotive background.Mine was a 4 cylinder Nova with a 400 cid swap not a mustang but close enough.The automatic is what you want for strait line drag times but a manual is better for "back road"driving.The 5 spead will hold as long as you don't hammer it.Stock Manual mounts and 3800 flex plate machined down should total less than $150.My current project is an 86 sc3800 and should be finished for $1500.The car was a father son project and the son pissed off the dad.$300.Another picked up a gtp and a fiero. Stripped them in the garage all while his wife was out of town.She told him you don't come in the house till they are gone.$350 take it all.Point is deals are out there if you keep your eyes open.Keep an eye on Craigs list.Look at supporting mods while you wait for the deals to show up.Factory breaks need to go.Inexpensive upgrades with S10,grand prix, and other shelf $100 brake upgrade. parts.https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/072173.html
The front end gets light at spead so you may want to look at hood venting.Cheap DIY job.Don't know what limitations you have in cali. but may want to list any you know of.
Flaxxer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2018 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlaxxerSend a Private Message to FlaxxerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks very much Matt. This is really encouraging, and the kind of posts that truly help. I really do not have a lot of choice but to do an engine swap. We never know what the universe is bringing our way, but the chances are this is my last, best, and probably only chance at owning my dream of a lightweight car, with reliable high power. The ex and I used to make $120 grand yearly. Now, I'm lucky to make $30 grand. BUT, I have been hooked on the concept since age 15, looking at an old kit car ad. I wanted a 66 Corvair with a V8. Then a Sebring MX kit car with a V-8. And you are DEAD on about buying used, and no longer wanted gear. As soon as I actually find a donor car and buy it, you will suddenly see me posting wanted ads for parts everywhere, lol. I think it was the Master parts lists on the V8 Fiero site which set me back so much at first. If I was looking at 5 grand in support parts alone, plus drivetrain and PCM, plus labor, I would be at a $10 to $15 grand Fiero …. And just NO way could I ever justify that. But if I can get out for a TOTAL of five to six grand, then I am definitely in.

Happen to know of a Master list of cars which came with the 3800 SC II ? Thanks again!
Flaxxer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2018 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlaxxerSend a Private Message to FlaxxerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Flaxxer

22 posts
Member since Jul 2018
One more thing … wish me luck. I plan on trying to get the old 6 cylinder to start today. It has sat for years, so I will have my work cut out for me. I turned the key ast night, and nothing happened other than the gauges all reacting properly when I turn the key to start. I think the engine may be frozen up. We will know today.
mad dad matt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2018 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mad dad mattSend a Private Message to mad dad mattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Think this is the right donor list.I still have notes on all the swap options.Hard to keep them strait.This may be 3800 and sc3800 list.No you can't just throw a sc on a standard 3800.Anyone want to double check my list?

L67 3800 Series II w/240hp
1996–2005 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
1997.5–2004 Buick Regal GS / GSE / GSX (SLP)
1996–1999 Buick Riviera (optional 1996-97, std. 1998-99)
2004–2005 Chevrolet Impala SS
2004–2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Supercharged/Intimidator SS
1996–1999 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight LSS (limited)
1996–2003 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
1997–2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP / GTX (SLP)

search for a GTP. lots of them produced so they are the cheapest and plenty of swaps so the little details won't cause problems.If you find one that was wrapped around a tree at least you know it ran when they parked it!! lol

[This message has been edited by mad dad matt (edited 08-17-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
Flaxxer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2018 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlaxxerSend a Private Message to FlaxxerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok Matt. There is NO turning back now. I just posted a wanted ad on this forum for 3800 sc II swap parts, or donor car. So we will see what happens. But I am committed now. I live on the coast, in the middle of nowhere . I don't know how to start to find a donor car, lol.
mad dad matt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2018 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mad dad mattSend a Private Message to mad dad mattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Double checked and that is the correct donor list for SC series 2. A series 3 grand prix would work with an extra 20hp but they use electric throttle that is not worth messing with.Change the, exhaust manifold (P log on front side),sc pulley,, T stat and tune will give the biggest bang for buck with around 280hp on a series 2..have you decided auto or manual? Drag race or sports car? Auto requires new axles Frankensteined from factory parts and custom trany mounts +/- $600.Manuel requires stage 3 or 3+ clutch, milled plate with stock axles and mounts +/- $600.Just a matter of what you want. Two good sources to let you see what you are getting into.

you tube video step by step pulling the engine cradle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhvgLd1XHuU

Budget build thread.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/000156.html

Flaxxer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2018 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlaxxerSend a Private Message to FlaxxerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While it seems easier sticking with the manual, I KNOW I will kill it most likely. I do not hammer a car often at all. But when I do it is a wide open drag style pull. While it will be mostly used as a commuter sports car, My main emphasis will also be straight line acceleration. I do not see this being set up as a drag car ever. I will most likely go with the auto.
My MAIN goal is to have a really fun to drive car. Lots of fast cars are boring. Heavy and stable. I like a driver's car. Something with instant throttle response, and instant torque. lightweight cars with extra power.

[This message has been edited by Flaxxer (edited 08-19-2018).]

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2018 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buick V6 engine (3800) everything you ever wanted to know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine

i tells the differences between Series 1, 2 and 3 and which years models it came in. You will probably have to go the the bay area or sacto to pick one up in your situation.

jon

------------------
I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun! 3800 SC swap to come!

mad dad matt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2018 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mad dad mattSend a Private Message to mad dad mattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
manual or auto is pure preference Donor computer is looking for signal from the auto so tuning is easier. Torque and RPMs kill tranys but everything is rated in HP.From what I have gathered the factory recommended limits are:

fiero stock manuals,
isuzu 225Hp
muncie m17 4 spd. 250Hp
muncie Getrag 5 spd 275Hp

automatic swap option
4T60-e 280Hp

This is a huge debate.No one can agree on the actual ratings.One person claims there LS/ isuzu trany car has worked flawless for years others claim there stock 3100 blows 2 4T60 every year. If you are doing burnouts or hanging around at redline no trany will be happy.If you beat on any of them upgrades and/or trany swaps are in your future.
Flaxxer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2018 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlaxxerSend a Private Message to FlaxxerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You guys are awesome! I really appreciate the links of info. It gives me confidence to see people willing to divulge so much, from their own experiences. In a perfect world, I would prefer a 5 speed. But I am fairly certain the previous owner did drive the car fairly hard. But since I have been advised it is easier to tune with the auto, then I will most likely be planning to go with the auto route. I have no doubts I will have to head to the Bay Area to find a donor car.

As far as how I drive a car … I never abuse or beat on one. I drive normal 90% of the time. When I do go fast, it is straight line acceleration. And it does not happen much.
Flaxxer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2018 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlaxxerSend a Private Message to FlaxxerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been really busy! I finally jacked the car up and turned the motor over by hand about 6 times. Now I know the engine isn't seized up. I also took a rubber mallet and banged on the starter repeatedly for a minute. Now I need to drain the 1/2 tank of old fuel …. Without dropping the tank, HOW ? Please ? Is there any easier way?
mad dad matt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2018 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mad dad mattSend a Private Message to mad dad mattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The good news is half a tank is only 6 gallons.If you can get 3 or 4 out and refresh the rest with 3 or 4 gal. of new gas it should start up. Siphon only works downhill and gas tank sits 4 inches off the ground. If you get all 4 tires up it can be done.
Option 2 is get a 20 amp inline fuse connecting the power distribution block to the fuel pump relay tan/wht wire. Disconnect the fuel line from the rail and plumb a hose extension into a gas can.
mad dad matt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2018 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mad dad mattSend a Private Message to mad dad mattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mad dad matt

102 posts
Member since Feb 2014
I would check for spark and compression before dumping new gas in.If the motor is fubar you are planning to swap the motor before it runs again. The fuel pump will need to be upgraded unless you are replacing with another fiero motor.don't want to fill it if you are possibly draining it again sooner than latter. Did I make sense?Don't know why that was so hard to type.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock