Wipers running all the time temporary fix by wftb
Started on: 06-03-2018 09:58 AM
Replies: 5 (358 views)
Last post by: Fiero Thomas on 10-05-2019 05:16 PM
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2018 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A while back my car developed the phantom wipe. It got progressively worse until they started running all the time. Bought the Phantom Wipe fixer out of the mall and did not solve the problem and I really did not think it would. There is a short in the steering collumn switch I think.

I am planning on putting a new steering wheel on over next winter and I needed something simple and non intrusive to shut the wipers off. I have been driving around with the plug pulled out of the wiper assembly. Basically not driving in the rain.

So I made up a simple harness that plugs in to the fuse block.

The harness has a fuse holder and a switch and two spades that go in to the fuse block where the 25A fuse for the wiper system is. I had to cut the insulation off the spades as they were too big to go in that way. I repositioned the shrink tubing to cover the bare metal. They fit nice and tight and should not work loose. I also changed the cheap rocker switch for a toggle. I found that operating the rocker switch was very difficult while sitting in the car, the toggle switch is much better.

While not what I would consider a permanent fix this is great until I get my new steering wheel and fix the OEM stuff.

[This message has been edited by wftb (edited 06-03-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JMTUT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2018 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is a great temp workaround. I love combat repairs to keep things running. Reminds me of ABDR training on F-16s. Also like you didn't compromise safety any further by adding in a fuse block. A lot of people would have just used a jumper.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2018 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

So I made up a simple harness that plugs in to the fuse block.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

With the number of Fieros with this issue, I'm sure similar measures been done by many people over the years... but you've presented your (temporary) solution very well here. Good job.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2018 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the nice comments. I was going to put this in my build thread but I thought more people would see it if I started a new thread.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2018 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that worked great. 10 minutes, no more phantom wipe. thanks
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2019 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just did this today and it works great.

------------------
1987 Fiero GT T-Top 1988 Fiero Formula
2018 Ford Ecosport Ecoboost 2017 Kia Forte S

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover
FieroNews Windshield Banners

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page