Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  WHAT is going on with this car ???! (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
WHAT is going on with this car ???! by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 05-09-2018 11:50 AM
Replies: 58 (1695 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 07-16-2019 04:17 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2018 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1985 Fiero 4 cyl/ auto. car ran Great for Years, past 6 months it been stalling at a light, replaced : Injector, IAC, MAP, O2 sensor,and Temp sensor at fill neck. today, ran perfect, went to fill it up with premium gas (has always run better on premium for some reason), anyway, I get 500 feet from my drive way, still running perfect, and the engine light comes on ! Code 45, O2 reading Rich ! This is getting Old. WHY ?????
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CJB118

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2018 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My neighbor had a fuel trim exception rich code on her Hyundai, I opened up the air box and dug out a chipmunk nest and about a thousand acorns. Not to say your problem matches this, but anytime a code indicates rich mixture, I check all air intake parts for obstruction.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2018 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
unplug tran's TCC plug in/on front of trans. make sure the wire/plug won't hit the exhaust.
If stops stalling at stop lights/signs then TCC solenoid is bad or fluid is old and dirty faking same problem.
But Dumping 2-4 quarts oil in the pan and filter often isn't enough. You want max oil change w/o draining the TC itself...
See my Cave, Automatic
I don't trust "transmission flush" from anyone for many reason. Many just rip you off to Can wreck the trans.

Leave it unplug until you fix whatever else.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 05-09-2018).]

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2018 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Presently", the car is NOT Stalling anymore, runs pretty good, it's just" lighting the SES light" and "throwing code 45". Has New air filter, new injector, no clogs. I don't think there is ANYTHING that I have NOT replaced, What could be Left ?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2018 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's left? It could be a new bad part.

edit: Coolant Temp Sensor reading low would do it.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-09-2018).]

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2018 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm "almost" positive the coolant it full, but I'll check it again anyway.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2018 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
could a defective New MAP do this ? how can I check, besides putting in another new Map ? thanks
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2018 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

I'm "almost" positive the coolant it full, but I'll check it again anyway.

not the level....the CTS......coolant temperature sensor.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2018 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the sensor is 1 week old (the one in the water neck that goes to the computer)
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

the sensor is 1 week old

That doesn't mean much. New components can be faulty right out of the box.

You need a scanner and/or WinALDL to tell you what's going on.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-10-2018).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its weird to me to run better on premium. The auto trans wasn't making it stall was it? Maybe the 02 is only semi related.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-10-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2018 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this '85 2.5 has always STARTED better and "Idled" better on premium, driving down the road you can't tell any difference. have no idea Why, it's all a bone stock 1985 flat tappet 2.5.
Macarchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2018 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacarchieSend a Private Message to MacarchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

vacuum leak?

------------------
1987 Fiero coupe; Blue; 2.5L; 5-spd
1987 Firebird Formula; Blue; 5L; 5-spd

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2018 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
drove it today After sitting for 2 weeks, Runs better than it ever has ! no lights, no stalling, like new ! Now I probably jinxed myself. LOL
armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2018 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like the problem is probably still there, so:
Check for vacuum leaks and also check the condition of the wiring and connectors. Any broken connector clips that might be intermittent? Frayed wiring?

The ECM calculates how much fuel it thinks the engine should need based on the various sensors. Major inputs include engine RPM, the coolant temperature and the manifold air pressure.
The O2 sensor reports a voltage between 0.0V (lean) and 1.0V (rich). The ECM tries to control the fuel so that it keeps switching above and below 0.45V. If it's above 0.45V, then the ECM starts trimming fuel until it goes below 0.45V. Then it does the opposite, and so on. There are limits to how far it can trim or add fuel.
If the O2 sensor reading stays above 0.45V for too long, and the ECM cannot trim the fuel any further (due to it's programmed limits), then it sets the "rich exhaust" code.

So if you get a rich exhaust code, if means either a bad O2 sensor, maybe a bad connection to it, a leaking fuel injector, or a completely different problem that has confused the ECM so that it grossly miscalculates the fuel mixture. If the calculation is bad enough, it won't be able to trim enough fuel to compensate and so the "rich exhaust" code is set.

A vacuum leak could do that, especially if it's local to the MAP sensor (so the sensor sees more air pressure than what's actually in the manifold). So give close attention to the vacuum hose leading to the MAP - take it off and make sure it doesn't have a pinhole leak. Cover the other end and blow in it.

I don't remember the pinout, but one of the wires leading to the MAP sensor should have 5.0V on it. I'm assuming one of the other pins is ground, so you should find 5.0V across those pins with a multimeter. Sorry I don't remember the pinout details, but the point is that if you're not getting the proper 5.0V supply then it could mess with the sensor readings. There might be better info about this test on the forum somewhere.

I think you can measure voltage across a different pair of pins to get the MAP's current pressure reading. But I don't know what voltage you should expect to see at particular conditions. This might be documented somewhere.
It's much easier to verify good sensor readings with WinALDL, but lacking that, probing with a multimeter can partially substitute. The difference is that when you probe with a meter, you can't be sure that the ECM is seeing the same thing you are seeing (it won't catch wiring problems, etc).

Engine RPM comes from the same signal that eventually gets to the tach (does your tach work?)

The coolant temperature sensor (CTS) is separate from the sender that drives the dashboard gauge, so a working dash gauge doesn't mean anything. You can test the CTS by unplugging it and measuring the resistance across it's 2 pins. This chart shows how many ohms of resistance there should be for a given temperature. Make sure you're measuring the right sensor (not the dashboard sender).

[This message has been edited by armos (edited 06-10-2018).]

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2018 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SEE " MY" LAST POST. THANKS
armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2018 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SEE " MY" LAST POST. THANKS

I did. But if you're actually satisfied that it fixed itself, then okay.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2018 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Right Now" it's running great ( the past week). I doubt I can fix what is not" Currently Broken", LOL
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2018 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I knew it ! As soon as I said it was OK, now it's shooting a code 45 again ! already Has a new O2 sensor. injector is New and Not leaking.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2018 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I seem to recall someone offering you a whole lot of helpful advice Here.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2018 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I printed that out, going to start checking. this is getting older then Me ! LOL
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2018 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tach Works. checked and there IS 5 volts at the map connection. the temp reads the Ohm that it should at temp. But still have the same problem. Help !
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2018 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
oh, and Absolutely NO" Vacuum leaks". anywhere
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2018 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, was running great, then it wasn't, then it was and now its not. If you are pulling a rich code then then engine is getting more fuel than the ECM can compensate for. If you replaced all the sensors then the:
Fuel Pressure System could go rich if pressure is too high. Check your fuel pressure regulator function by measuring the fuel pressure. Also check for a leaky injector. My guess is that your problem is fuel related.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2018 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
INJECTOR is brand NEW, (is Not leaking). I'll put the "gauge" on the line again tomorrow.. supposed to be 13-14 lbs ? thanks
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2018 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well, Here's where it gets Weird. turn the key "on", No fuel pressure. crank it, & it will start up run at 13 psi until shut off, then immediately go to ZERO. turn key on again, goes up to about 6 then drops to ZERO again ! will start and run but NOT hold pressure if shut off, not even for 2 seconds ! So, What Now ???
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2018 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
WHY would it pull a "RICH Code" if it's running out of Pressure ??
Owiko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2018 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OwikoSend a Private Message to OwikoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, usually when you turn the key to "On" the fuel pump should run for about 2 seconds and then stop if there is no crank signal from the engine. Likewise after you shut the engine off, the fuel pump should stop and the fuel pressure should dissipate.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2018 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BUT, it should" initially" put out 14 " just turning the key on" and not starting, AND HOLD IT. it won't, only 6psi and then WON'T hold it.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2018 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
Owiko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2018 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OwikoSend a Private Message to OwikoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fuel pressure regulator or something like that might be broken.
PFF
System Bot
armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2018 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

WHY would it pull a "RICH Code" if it's running out of Pressure ??

I'm not real familiar with the 4cyl setup, but the pressure loss could be happening somewhere that's feeding excess fuel into the engine. The rich code would be consistent with that.
A properly working V6 setup takes a very long time to leak down with the key off. But I don't know how much leakdown is normal on the TBI 4cyl.

I remember checking fuel pressure on a 4cyl something like 20 years ago. With key on, engine off, it went to something like 14psi, and I think it held but I don't remember how long. I certainly don't think it dropped in just a few seconds or it would have been hard to read. You must be leaking fuel somewhere.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2018 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So if you have someone turn on (no start) the key while you are watching the fuel pressure it does go up, but then it dissipates quickly? Correct?

The fuel pressure is correct while the engine is running correct?
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2018 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
correct on Both questions
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2018 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
I Answered that Too Quickly ! if I turn On the key (not start), it Does Nothing. If I "Crank it", it will start and hold 13 PSI. As soon as the key is
"Shut Off", it goes to Zero within 1-2 seconds. ** NO Pressure only turning the key to "On" Position.** Only pressure if it's cranked and running.
Owiko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2018 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OwikoSend a Private Message to OwikoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if it is a fuel pump issue, I hear they can become incredibly cryptic and anomalous when they begin to fail. Does the pump make noise with the key at the "on" position?
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2018 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
can't say I did hear it. I'll check.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2018 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
If I get in the car, (cold start,) turn the key "on", the pump "buzzes" for 3-4 seconds, (No pressure). Then crank it, it will start and hold 13psi. shut it off, it immediately goes to 0. turn they key "On", it will buzz 3-4 seconds, go to about 6 PSI, then immediately drop to 0. the "Pump IS getting Current". HELP ! This is like the 3rd pump in 5 years. IS IT the PUMP ? Regulator ? (of course it has a FULL tank, so if I need to take it out.....! ) LOL
Owiko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2018 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OwikoSend a Private Message to OwikoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably the regulator then.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2018 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so, it's a 1985 duke. Anyone got a Part # for the regulator ?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock