Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Firewall Temps too high? Let's talk insulation.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Firewall Temps too high? Let's talk insulation. by SP1200
Started on: 03-17-2018 07:06 PM
Replies: 11 (555 views)
Last post by: darbysan on 03-20-2018 10:31 AM
SP1200

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2018 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So I had to remove my firewall insulation when i swaped out my 2.8 for another 2.8 years ago. Just recently I've done the carpet. I noticed when i had the backboard and carpet removed the firewall temps were warming my neck. lol. So I got out the temp gun and I'm getting a temp pf 140F front and back of the bare firewall drivers side top. Is this too much? There is no signs of paint buring, or wire harness burning back there. No signs of that. Just noticed it was hot when putting the back of my hand behind the head on my seat.

I'm wondering if now would be a good time to add insulation to the interior side of the firewall. Or is the OEM still good enough?
And while we are here... How is the OEM stuff compared to other aftermarket insulation for sound?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2018 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How would this FatMat do with Temps and sound?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/p...A1HRSVEM12WM20&psc=1

I know it used for sound, but how is it with heat?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2018 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many are missing heat shield(s) in engine bay making cabin and/or trunk hot.
Many have exhaust problem(s) w/ leaks and/or shield(s) on pipes etc.
Recall docs covers most of shields... See links in my Cave, Do You Recall?

Also ECM have heat problem too. See my Cave, ECM Heat
Plus some have bad bulkhead seals where cables pass thru the FW letting heat and fumes in the cabin.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 03-18-2018).]

Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2018 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the same problem and am going to try Mighty Matt insulation.

I have not installed it yet but it sounds like it should work good, it comes in 1/4" and 1/2" thickness.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/140570.html

I bought mine on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i....sulation&_sacat=6000

http://www.bgf.com/products...degrees/mighty-matt/

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2018 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used Reflectix® with great success.
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2018 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used mighty mat on my 3800 install. works great, and i recommend it. I used the 1/4 thick with foil on both sides.

------------------
SCREW PHOTOBUCKET. All my pictures are now available at https://www.flickr.com/photos/156871275@N07/albums
'87 GT , '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e, Vue Power Steering.

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2018 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used Thermo-Tec fiber mat with aluminum foil on both sides. One 0.25x48x72" sheet was enough to cover most of the firewall with 2 layers. I also used the firewall heat shield template from Fiero Sails ( http://fierosails.com/heatshield.html ). I never took the time to do a scientific analysis. But the firewall doesn't seem to get very hot. My car has no interior carpet or padding (the interior is gutted), so the heat shield material is the only insulation on the firewall.

Personally, I don't think the brand name matters as much as simply having a heat shield. Even the cheap stuff will be better than nothing.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 03-18-2018).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2018 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used this product at 1/2" thick (they have 1" thick, but that's a little much). If you insulate the area between the double firewall brace and the bottom of the rear windshield, the material in 1 box will do 2 Fieros.

https://www.westmarine.com/..._006_004?recordNum=2
SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2018 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like Mighty Matt will do just fine for interior firewall insulation.
It's cheap too! I assume I use 3m adhesive to apply the matt?
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2018 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any sound deadner like FaMat or MightyMatt should be a peel and stick. You do not need anything else to apply it. What you will need to do is clean the area before so that you have a good surface stick to. The process is not hard to do just time consuming.
Threedog

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2018 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did a trial an error with two types of stuff, and had fantastic results.

I ran this stuff on the inside, with fantastic results. It really quieted the cabin down, was easy to apply, and has held up very well over a few years. I think I had to get about 50sqft to coat the interior of the Fiero(everything but the roof and behind the dash).

In the engine bay I used this, which has done wonders. The only time it fell off was when I had to use a blow torch to get a bolt out, the rest of it has been fine. It massively kept temps down in the cabin. I used it around the front and back of the engine bay.

I used left over interior deadening and engine bay insulation(from the links) to line the inside engine side of the trunk and now the trunk stays consistently cool. I drove 14 hours straight with a 3800 and there was still ice in my water bottle in the trunk! When I open the decklid there is a massive difference in temp between the two sections. This stuff works.
PFF
System Bot
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2018 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SP1200:

Looks like Mighty Matt will do just fine for interior firewall insulation.
It's cheap too! I assume I use 3m adhesive to apply the matt?

I applied mine on the engine side of the firewall, using 3m spray adhesive ( not self stick). If you apply it on the inside of the firewall, not sure it will be quit as effective, but still should work.

------------------
SCREW PHOTOBUCKET. All my pictures are now available at https://www.flickr.com/photos/156871275@N07/albums
'87 GT , '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e, Vue Power Steering.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock