Front manifold gasket by Quad4
Started on: 11-12-2017 09:50 AM
Replies: 14 (361 views)
Last post by: Quad4 on 02-24-2018 10:20 AM
Quad4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2017 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad4Send a Private Message to Quad4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to replace the front manifold gasket on my 2.8. The Haynes manual says to remove the decklid. Looks like Jetman did it all (or mostly) from below.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000016.html

Is it worth taking the decklid off? If I go to the trouble of removing it, are there other things I should get at the same time? I'm thinking rocker cover gasket maybe...

Thanks

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2017 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may find that the A/C compressor and upper bracket are in the way. The coolant crossover, too.
YMMV.
robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2017 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Be sure to update your post. I cant wait to see how it goes.

Quad4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2017 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad4Send a Private Message to Quad4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What do I need to do about fasteners? If I get those nuts off, should I replace only the nuts? Or should I try to get the studs out too? Or is that asking for trouble?

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2017 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may find that the manifold gasket is not the problem. Could be a cracked or warped manifold, broken bolts or a combination of all the above.
Some of the bolts have a stud on them near the A/C compressor / bracket. If your one of the few fortunate souls that are able to get those bolts out without snapping them off consider yourself very lucky.

Rodney Dickman use to sell a stud kit so the next time around you have less risk of snapping something off. Either the nut will come loose or the stud. If Rodney no longer has these kits you may have to seek out an automotive supply for the proper size, etc.

An incident like yours cropped up some years ago when I thought I'd blown an exhaust manifold gasket. By the time it was all done I had pulled both heads, purchased a right angle drill, a Tap, a standalone drill press and some other odds & ends to get the job done. I even had a spark plug snap off in one of the heads. And no I didn't pull the deck lid.

Let us know how you made out and hope this isn't your daily driver.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Quad4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2017 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad4Send a Private Message to Quad4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

...hope this isn't your daily driver.

I love this warning. It's like "I hope you have life insurance." This is not my daily driver. Some day I will drive it for fun. Right now I just work on it.

Anyway, I decided to practice by doing the rear one first. I did great until I broke off the top bolt of cyl. 1. Sounds like the next step is a right-angle drill? I think the hardware store has one I can borrow.

Quad4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2017 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad4Send a Private Message to Quad4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I drilled that bolt out. Ran a tap through it and there's still threads inside the hole.

I am sure glad I was doing that on the back of the motor and not on the front...Guess I'll start on the front next.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2017 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad4:

I am sure glad I was doing that on the back of the motor and not on the front...Guess I'll start on the front next.

Hope for the best... but plan for the worst.

Quad4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2017 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad4Send a Private Message to Quad4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What do I replace all of these bolts with?

Fiero store stud kit
https://www.fierostore.com/...px?s=88100&d=388&p=2

Dorman stud kit
https://www.autozone.com/ga...ware-kit_/963470_0_0

Those look pretty similar.

Did I read that Rodney D. used to sell stainless bolts and studs? I can't find them on his website now.

Spoon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2017 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty sure I got mine from Rodney but they were not stainless. Caution using stainless..
See 2nd paragraph down page under Stainless Steel.

https://www.boltdepot.com/f...rades/materials.aspx

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2017 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are a lot of threads relating to those damn bolts. Some common themes are 1) to soak the bolts n' nuts with PB Blaster as long as you can; some have even drilled small holes through the manifold flange into the flange bolt holes to allow the PB Blaster to enter directly to the head and 2) SLIGHTLY tighten the bolts 1st before trying to loosen them . The PB & tightening sequence has worked for me. Never tried drilling the holes though.
PFF
System Bot
tazome

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2017 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tazomeSend a Private Message to tazomeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It really depends on where you live in the country, back east sucks because of all the salt , im lucky to have a fiero from the nv desert that has no salt an little rain, my bolts were actually loose , it all depends on how the car was keep etc, use heat , i use flux to get sucked into the threds , it works great an go slow n easy. good luck
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2017 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

I'm pretty sure I got mine from Rodney but they were not stainless. Caution using stainless..
See 2nd paragraph down page under Stainless Steel.

https://www.boltdepot.com/f...rades/materials.aspx

Spoon

I was spooked about the potential for galling (though not having personally experienced it), so when I purchased ARP bolts for my exhaust, I got the chromoly rather than their stainless bolts.

Anti-seize is a must on reassembly.
Spoon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2017 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

I was spooked about the potential for galling (though not having personally experienced it), so when I purchased ARP bolts for my exhaust, I got the chromoly rather than their stainless bolts.

Anti-seize is a must on reassembly.

I've had plenty of experience in stainless galling. Here's how it works. I'm turning a 1-1/2" stainless pipe nipple into a stainless elbow. About 5 turns in and everything stops. I can't turn forward and I can't turn backwards. I'm literally $crewed. A professional welder couldn't of done a better job. Now that the chinese jumped on the band wagon with their off-grid spec's ,,,,
Don't get me started

Spoon

------------------

Quad4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2018 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad4Send a Private Message to Quad4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I took a few months off for skiing and hockey. But before I did that I soaked those bolts with penetrating oil. And then I sprayed them again a few times over the past months. I got all 6 bolts out without breaking any of them. This was also a good excuse to buy a 3/8" impact driver--that helped to loosen one of the stud bolts that was stuck in there really good.

What do I replace these bolts with? 5 of them look like I can use the same studs that I used on the rear manifold. But the bottom passenger side bolt (by the AC compressor) looks like a stud might not fit. The bolt that was in there barely fit. If I put a stud in there will I be able to get the manifold over it? I was sort of thinking about putting in 5 studs, then the heat shield, then the gasket, then the manifold, then put that 6th stud in behind the AC compressor.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock