Window rattle by John W. Tilford
Started on: 08-12-2017 05:24 PM
Replies: 4 (209 views)
Last post by: viperine on 08-12-2017 10:47 PM
John W. Tilford

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2017 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John W. TilfordClick Here to visit John W. Tilford's HomePageSend a Private Message to John W. TilfordEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been a few years since I had my passenger door interior and exterior panels removed to look around and clean. Well, that and replace the remote control mirror that Bambi knocked off. So I have never, ever removed or did any window mechanism alignment or such.

Two years ago a local body shop cheerfully took my money to replace the electric motor for the passenger side window. They were 1) proud they found a motor and 2) proud the up and down speed now beats the driver side window. (Yes, I know, relative speeds are probably determined by the crud in the driver side switch and a cleaner passenger side switch.) All well and good. But now every time I cross a railroad or hit any significant bump the passenger window (unless all the way up against the rubber) will rattle so much I've sometimes feared it would break. But, when it's half way up I can grab the top edge of the glass and it seems firm when I push and pull in and out.

I would really hate to take the panel(s) off the driver side door just to compare with the passenger side door. Is there something a Fiero-ignorant body shop tech would have failed to adjust, tighten, or install which would result in that rattle?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2017 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Adjustments. See here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...020511-2-017142.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2017 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you checked the door striker bolt first for play? If it's worn, and the originals usually are, upgrading to the Ford striker made by Dorman Help! parts, will substantially reduce rattles. Not to say you don't need window adjustments, but this may be contributing more than you think.
A second culprit is worn window felt/fuzzies. These are inside the door, though at the top, and the small patch of felt gets worn away over the years, exposing metal that is notorious for gouging fiero windows beyond repair. A rattle may be glass-to-metal contact here.
John W. Tilford

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2017 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John W. TilfordClick Here to visit John W. Tilford's HomePageSend a Private Message to John W. TilfordEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the link and comments. Yes, I replaced the striker "bolt" with the Ford item some time back. Looks like a fun day coming up in the garage . . . Oh, is there a source for replacement felt pads?

------------------
John W. Tilford

viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2017 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fiero store sells the new felts. But be warned, I'm not certain they can be removed with the door glass in place, even if the window is down. I made a brief attempt when I installed my lambo hinges (and new dew wipes) and quickly gave up. Hopefully someone else knows for sure?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock