Throttle body identification by OriginalDoug
Started on: 08-04-2017 09:38 AM
Replies: 7 (290 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 08-08-2017 04:34 PM
OriginalDoug

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2017 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OriginalDougSend a Private Message to OriginalDougEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This place is a gold mine for new fiero owners like me, and I'm hoping for another success here.

What is the hole to the right of the tps and iac in this picture?

http://captfiero.com/distri...uild/thumbs/tn_3.jpg

This isn't my fiero in the picture but it was the best picture I could find of it. Many other pictures have a line attached to that hole and running somewhere under the plenum, is this a vacuum line?

There is nothing running to it on mine, and I'm wondering why that would be? also mine is a 3.4 swap
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Leukay

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2017 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LeukaySend a Private Message to LeukayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is one of the ports for coolant to flow through the throttle body. There should be another similar port on the firewall side of the throttle body. I believe the purpose is mostly to warm the throttle body in the cold months to avoid freezing, but I may be wrong on that. Many people bypass this without issue, but I won't personally say whether or not it's totally safe. I still have my TB coolant lines hooked up because they don't leak and I don't feel like I need to remove them.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2017 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Leukay is correct. Those fittings on the throttle body (there are 2 of them) are for the throttle body heater lines. Normally, there would be 2 hard lines running under the plenum over to the thermostat neck. And they would connect to 2 hose nipples on the thermostat neck.

It looks like the throttle body heater was deleted on your car. Chances are you'll have a short U-shaped hose on the thermostat neck. That hose was added to bypass the throttle body heater. Deleting the throttle body heater is a common practice. I have yet to hear anyone complain of throttle body icing after deleting it, so it's probably not a big concern.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2017 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OriginalDoug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2017 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OriginalDougSend a Private Message to OriginalDougEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gotcha, thanks for the responses guys. I have one other question that fits this thread while I'm at it.

Everyone talks about the minimum idle screw, which is often mistaken for an idle adjustment screw. As seen in the picture on this thread:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/132636.html

As far as I know my fiero has the stock throttlebody (holley) on it, but in the spot where the torx screw is in the picture there is definitely no screw. Everything is the same shape as in the pic but instead of a screw head in there, it's just flat metal. I'll take a picture if need be.

Are there some tb's made this way, or is this some non stock tb? any ideas?
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2017 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's actually a metal plug they put in there, to hide the screw (so people don't tinker with it).
OriginalDoug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2017 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OriginalDougSend a Private Message to OriginalDougEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh good, then that probably means the previous owner didn't tinker with it. That's what I wanted to hear!

Thanks again
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2017 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OriginalDoug:

Oh good, then that probably means the previous owner didn't tinker with it.

And you leave it alone as well.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock