Restoring a rusty fuel tank. by hercimer01
Started on: 06-27-2017 01:39 AM
Replies: 14 (1128 views)
Last post by: Mike in Sydney on 06-05-2021 08:58 PM
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2017 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did this Saturday and Sunday.

I soaked it with 2 gallons of water with 1 gallons of muratic acid rotating the tank constantly for 6 hours.
Then I toppedit of the rest of the way and let it soak over night in the water and acid.
Then i rinsed it and used the metal prep on it rotating again.
Then I rinsed it with MEK and coated it with tank sealer.
Cure time is 92 hours.
There you have it!!

------------------
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap
12.840@104.8 MPH Intense-Racing 1.9 rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.4 pulley, ZZP tune and 18 year old tires.

88 Coupe under construction SOLD

88 formula 3.4L 4t60 swap SOLD

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 07-01-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2017 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the how-to. That is a big difference in the before and after. Did you have any problems with the tank before?

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2017 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome I have never seen inside pics like that of the process.
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2017 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That info is good to know. Thanks for posting
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2017 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

Thank you for the how-to. That is a big difference in the before and after. Did you have any problems with the tank before?

It was eating fuel pumps.
Its still curing

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 06-27-2017).]

La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2017 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome!!!!!! Thanks for the tip!!!!!!
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2017 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had it running now for almost 2 months with no problems or weird noises coming from the center console.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2020 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make that over 2 years.
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2020 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work, thanks for sharing.

I have a rusted tank, and was planning on using straight vinegar.
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2020 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hercimer01:

Make that over 2 years.

Saying something is works right after the repair is fairly useless, now saying that something works after two years is silver .

If you can come back and say the fuel pump/tank is still running without problems after three years, that's golden! You'll have made it past the basic warranty period... a bare minimum goal that auto designers strive to attain.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2020 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Saying something is works right after the repair is fairly useless, now saying that something works after two years is silver .

If you can come back and say the fuel pump/tank is still running without problems after three years, that's golden! You'll have made it past the basic warranty period... a bare minimum goal that auto designers strive to attain.

No. I did have to replace the fuel pump about a year after, but it was under warranty.
PFF
System Bot
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2020 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess the MEK didn't damage the surface the metal prep left.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2020 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

I guess the MEK didn't damage the surface the metal prep left.

I guess not. I did it after the metal prep to get all the old chemical residues out. Plus if you don't use metal prep immediately after the muratic acid water, it will rust within 15 minutes. Also my thinking on the MEK was that it would remove any of the loose residues.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 02-11-2020).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2021 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It 2021 and zero issues with the POR-15 letting loose in the tank. I see alot of posts about that, but its probably a lack of prep.

------------------
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap SOLD
12.840@104.8 MPH Intense-Racing 1.9 rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.4 pulley, ZZP tune and 18 year old tires.

88 Coupe under construction SOLD

88 formula 3.4L 4t60 swap SOLD

88GT resurrection in progress.

Mike in Sydney

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2021 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've used muriatic acid before and had good results. I like this electrolytic method. You just need a Battery Charger or 12 well charged 12 volt battery and a box or two of washing soda, not baking soda. I got great results on the inside. If you want to do the outside with this method, you'll need something big enough to submerge the tank in and a lot more washing soda. (You can also use this method to de-rust tools.)

https://www.instructables.c...A-Motorcycle-Gas-Ta/

[This message has been edited by Mike in Sydney (edited 06-05-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock