Water pump by 85fieroguy
Started on: 08-31-2016 11:08 PM
Replies: 1 (94 views)
Last post by: pmbrunelle on 09-01-2016 12:10 AM
85fieroguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2016 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, the water pump is seeping thru the " weep hole". I'm not that " swift" at car repairs. My 85GT V-6 has been good to me but am intimidated in replacing the pump. Any info or video's will help. Appreciate you guys as to the help you offer on this site. Thanks. Replies please.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2016 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just finished this job last Saturday.

Remove the battery, oil pressure sensor, EGR solenoid, wire harness support; basically the stuff that's in the way of the water pump.

Slacken the alternator clamping bolt, and then remove the drivebelt.

Before continuing with removal of the actual water pump, STOP! Read this:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/132534.html

Using the special clamp (typically comes with replacement water pump, or from local Fiero owner), clamp the timing cover in place, and then proceed with unscrewing the 12 water pump bolts.

I removed the water pump first, and then decided to read up about the procedure, and then I found out about the clamp. So it worked for me without the clamp, but since it exists (and if you know about it), might as well use it...

The new water pump can be bolted-in all from above; I had my car resting on its wheels during this operation.

I used blue RTV applied to both sides of the paper gasket, and blue RTV on one of the bolts' threads (the bolt that has Prestone spilling out when you undo it).

Edit: there's also a heater hose you need to remove.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 09-01-2016).]

IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock