Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  What is the 'best' 4.9 mount configuration?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What is the 'best' 4.9 mount configuration? by imacflier
Started on: 02-16-2016 12:46 PM
Replies: 11 (694 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 02-20-2016 09:06 AM
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking at 4.9 swaps there seem to be two or three configurations used: the two transmission mounts doing duty as rear engine mounts plus one front engine mount plus a torque strut (aka dogbone). This is the configuration Rockcrawl used. The Fiero Factory site says they use five mounts....that would likely be the two transmission mounts plus TWO front engine mounts PLUS a torque strut. It seems to me that five mounts is a bit excessive and the two transmission mounts plus two front engine mounts should be perfectly adequate.

Any of you swappers try that last combination....or am I wrong about what Rockcrawl and The FieroFactory are doing....or is there a better or best way? (Manual transmission, btw.)

TIA,
Larry

[This message has been edited by imacflier (edited 02-16-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gen2muchwork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
with my auto, I used the 5 mount setup, 2 stock type trans mounts plus 2 of the energy suspension trans mounts used as engine mounts one under oil pan and one in rear on an L bracket, then a dogbone strut from a maxima rear control arm from front head to cradle. It was simple, and easy but I suspect that 4 correctly placed mounts would work fine especially with an automatic. If I was to do it again I'd avoid the mount under the oil pan, and go with some round mounts in four corners. FWIW, my engine feels very solid to me.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally, I'd prefer to use a "four corners" setup. But the stock style setup is convenient, and it works. The Caddy 4.9 isn't a "monster torque" engine, so I don't think the extra mount is really necessary. But it wouldn't hurt.
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I run with 4. I thought of adding the dogbone, but there is no movement from the engine at all. If I see any change after more mileage I will consider it. For now...4 seems to be enough. (Of course my car is now parked for a major body build, so it'll probably be another few years before I get it back on the street...)
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2016 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the 4 mount setup using 3 poly trans mounts and one rubber trans that was still good and didn't need replacing. I have the engine mounts as far apart as possible for the best stability and still have a fair bit of engine rock under acceleration. I think the doggone would be a good idea as a backup in case either of the engine side mounts broke due to wear. And we've a seen engine mounts break. Check my swap thread "Let's replace my 4 cylinder with a 4.9!" For full pics of my custom made mounts. Not saying they are the best mounts... just the way I wanted to make them.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2016 05:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero Factory method is "4 corners" plus the usual mount under the crank pulley. There is no dog bone.
You could pick up my car by the engine and shake it until the body panels fell off, and the engine wouldn't budge.

Edit - They also added a reinforcement to the front cradle rail, to stop the tranny mount from tearing out.
88 cradles have fractured, there, even with stock engines.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-17-2016).]

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2016 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The "system" I used could be called 5 point system.

Originally I used the "4-point" system: 2 tranny mounts, 1 mount going to the front of the cradle (attaches to the engine block at the a/c compressor location, and the stock 2.8 location basically front center.

This was an issue as the engine would have a lot of move still under heavy acceleration. I have pictures from some 100' drags that show the decklid actually being lifted by the alternator. A buddy that used the same system actually tore the front mount out of the cradle and that had to be welded back up. I then added the "dog bone" attached to the rear of the cradle an up to the top of the block/head. That solved all the issues with the motor "rocking".

Not the best picture, but the best I have at hand that shows the "dog bone".

imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2016 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First, let me thank all of you folks who have commented! I am amazed at how much stuff there is on what appears on the surface to be quite straightforward.

Now, Reallybig....could you please tell me on which page of your thread your mounts are pictured? Nice thread by the way. What I really want most is the design of the mount for the forward front corner....I picked up one of Rockcrawl's mounts for the aft front corner.

Anyway, anybody really HATE their 4.9 manual?

TIA,
Larry
gen2muchwork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2016 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by imacflier:

First, let me thank all of you folks who have commented! I am amazed at how much stuff there is on what appears on the surface to be quite straightforward.

Now, Reallybig....could you please tell me on which page of your thread your mounts are pictured? Nice thread by the way. What I really want most is the design of the mount for the forward front corner....I picked up one of Rockcrawl's mounts for the aft front corner.

TIA,
Larry

mine:

this is before welding it to the cradle. that bolt was just helpful setting it up.

hope that helps
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/123574.html

reallybig's:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/122389.html page 2 for mounts, he used the aluminum mount, where I used the steel one. Honestly his was done nicer than mine, but mine works too.
his, mickeymoose and neils88, amongst others were all very helpful build threads when I made mine.

[This message has been edited by gen2muchwork (edited 02-17-2016).]

Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2016 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry. I have no idea where the pics are in the thread. You would have to hunt around.... but they are there! And I have no regrets with the 4.9 manual swap. It's a blast to drive!

[This message has been edited by Reallybig (edited 02-18-2016).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2016 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by imacflier:

I hated the automatic Caddy tranny. Cadillacs were not designed to do anything quickly.
A full throttle downshift required sending a telegraph message down to the engine room. Then it happened... eventually.
Upshifts were just as leisurely.

I love my 5 speed, even though it blows through 1st gear fairly quickly. It's one of my favorite mods.
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2016 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The further the mounts are from each other front/rear, the better the can withstand the drive train torque from the axle shafts. So for the 4.9 manual swaps I use simple piece of angle bolted to the engine and some box tubing welded to the cradle.

If you want to use a dogbone setup, then an 88 lateral link fits perfectly and makes the engine mount setup nearly as wide as the transmission side.

The axle shaft is pretty close, but clears:

The front mount is pretty typical, angle welded to the front crossmember and use of stock upper mount bracket:

The other reason I like this mount setup on the 88's is the stock engine mount pad doesn't leave much room for the exhaust to go between it and the oil pan. Moving the rear mount to the side of the engine and not using the stock engine mount pad allows it to be removed, freeing up a lot more room for the exhaust.

All ready to install:

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock