GPS plug HOT! by Jerry Tarnofsky
Started on: 06-29-2015 05:03 PM
Replies: 9 (263 views)
Last post by: Neils88 on 06-30-2015 08:34 PM
Jerry Tarnofsky

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2015 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jerry TarnofskySend a Private Message to Jerry TarnofskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On a trip to NJ I noticed my GPS plug, plugged into the cigarette lighter outlet was really hot. Felt it thru my elbow resting on that part of the console.
Pulled the plug and gently put my finger into the socket and almost got burned.

How much power does a GPS use? Never happed in my other (less fun) cars. They are plugged into power outlets, not cigarette lighter outlets.

Keeping the GPS off until I need it. I do miss the speedometer reading.

Jerry

BTW it's a Garmin nuvi 52 lm

[This message has been edited by Jerry Tarnofsky (edited 06-29-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2015 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Edit....

Doug said it below me. When you drive at night with the headlights on, the lighter socket bulb can make the socket red hot.

You can simply remove the bulb.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 06-29-2015).]

Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2015 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was it at night and the bulb for the lighter socket on? That bulb can heat up the socket quite a bit if it is on all the time.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2015 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't run any accessories of the lighter plug as I had the same issue. For safety reasons (and I don't smoke) I put a dummy plug in the lighter socket and then installed an accessory outlet using a fuse tap for my GPS / Phone charger.
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2015 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jerry,

I solved that problem by installing an aux power outlet here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-2-109544.html

Larry
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bulb does heat them. remove the bulb to check. (Lighter Bulbs or bulb sockets often die because can't dump heat.)
Socket w/ problems can heat them a lot. Heat can be a sign of bad socket.

See my Cave, Lighter

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 06-30-2015).]

Jerry Tarnofsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jerry TarnofskySend a Private Message to Jerry TarnofskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Larry,

Great idea, exactly what I need. Will get started on it ASAP.
What did you mean by "read codes first" before disconnecting the battery?

Jerry
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jerry,

When you disconnect the Fiero battery, the computer will 'forget' any codes that are set (and you MUST disconnect the battery before you begin!), so if you need to know what codes are current you should read and record them before you begin....The FAQ section explains how to do it with a paper clip and what the codes mean....you should do it at least once if you have not done it before and this would be a perfect time to do so. Getting the Aux power outlet into the space available along with a switch to hard wire operate something like a RADAR detector or a GPS unit really is quite tight....but from the pics I posted you can see it really is possible, so persevere!

Don't forget to take pics to show off your progress!

Regards,
Larry
Jerry Tarnofsky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jerry TarnofskySend a Private Message to Jerry TarnofskyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Larry,
The Fiero will have to wait. I'm in the hospital with a minor heart attack.
Should get back to the fun stuff next week.

Regards,
Jerry

The hospital has this neat system where you can get on the internet.
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jerry Tarnofsky:

Larry,
The Fiero will have to wait. I'm in the hospital with a minor heart attack.
Should get back to the fun stuff next week.

Regards,
Jerry

The hospital has this neat system where you can get on the internet.

Take care of yourself!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock