Question about sunroof tracks rivets and drain holes by Scott2scott
Started on: 06-06-2015 05:44 AM
Replies: 12 (744 views)
Last post by: Scott2scott on 06-10-2015 02:40 PM
Scott2scott

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2015 05:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My questions are about the rivets on sunroof tracks my tracks are so rusted i cant see where they really are or how many there should be. Plus it looks like theres some sort of rubber or something black under the tracks? Plus when i drill them out whats stops them from leaking after? Plus i read about drilling some new drain holes in the coners this does t make any sence to me where woukd the water run to then ? I see there an gap in the frame im sure thats where it would dip to but wouldnt that cause it to run into the car on headliner then down inside car? My car leaks now i thought it wS the sunroof but i tested this by duct tapeing the whole sunroof glass and i car leaked still car parked up hill it dips out the back of the headliner car parked down hill rain dips off front of headliner. So if i cant figure out the track thing i think i just want to put a solid roof on. That would help trouble shoot this water leak problem plus i hate the sun anyways. Lol
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2015 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump....I don't have a sunroof and would recommend that choice to anyone that has a hole in their roof.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 06-06-2015).]

Ponnari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See link below from The FieroStore, it might help some.

Fierostore sunroof drain holes

Also see this write up here on the forum

vista vents

[This message has been edited by Ponnari (edited 06-08-2015).]

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The nuts that hold the tracks to the roof are called ‘slab base weld nuts’ 6mmx1mm thread size. Good luck finding any retail.
Fastenal has them but wholsale https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0124632

I ended up making my own by brazing a piece of steel to a 6x1mm nut.

If I remember correctly, the bolt comes up from inside the car, through the metal roof and into this nut so it helps hold the roof down. A good dolop of weather seal stops water getting into the car. I think I used RTV when I did my roof.

In the last two pics you can see the drain hole just by the corner of the black part of the roof:

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

[This message has been edited by ltlfrari (edited 06-08-2015).]

1shot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1shotSend a Private Message to 1shotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could try this site for fasteners.
http://www.clipsandfastener...m/Nutserts_s/141.htm
Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im not so much trying to replace hardware. More trying to find the rivets placement to drill them out. I cant see anything because of rust and decay. And i didnt want to start driling and be somewhere im not suppose to be. Like how many viets are up there and where at?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

...you can see the drain hole just by the corner of the black part of the roof:

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

I cropped the last image to clearly show and label where the drain holes are supposed to be. And if they're not there, drill 'em... carefully! (Just go through the fiberglass panel, not through the metal roof itself.)

Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im not talking about driling drain holes. Im talking anout getting out the old rivets by drilling them out but i cant see them bacuas of rust and decay. I need pic of good rivets not drain holes. To drill out track virets
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scott2scott:

Im not talking about driling drain holes...

Well geez, sorry man... but you mentioned drain holes in the topic heading and I suspect other people seeing this thread might be interested where they're supposed to be.

Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its cool thank you. But im not at that step yet. Im trying to get the tracks out first. And see if i can do this first and see how bad it is under them then when there out and the area is cleaned up and i can see whats what then ill drill the bew drain holes. Its a ducks in a row thing. Lol
Ponnari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2015 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks "ltlfrari" and "Patrick" for the pics, they are the best on this subject(s) I've seen so far.
I know I appreciated you guys posting them!

------------------
"Because in a split second, It's gone"
Ayrton Senna

PFF
System Bot
Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2015 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never said i didnt appreciate you guys for posting them. It was a question for where rivets where. Añd where the water gos after i put new drain holes in. Like what stops it from flowing down into car after. I respect everyone for any help i get. Love to help when im able to. But things come off wrong sometimes with texting. Thanks again guys .
Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sunroof is gone now as of just now. Cut it out at top of A pillars and put soild roof panel i had from my 86gt back on. Going to glass it back together. It was alot ez than trying to remove the whole panel and went fast . Other than me putting pressure on windshield and "pop" a long crack now. But oh well it happens we get free windshield on insurance here in florida one time a year.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock