Rebuilding the Fiero power mirror switch by Daleford
Started on: 05-29-2015 02:45 PM
Replies: 7 (953 views)
Last post by: Daleford on 05-31-2015 07:58 PM
Daleford

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DalefordSend a Private Message to DalefordEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it possible. Mine is only partially working but still has good spring pressure. I'm sure with a good cleaning of the contacts it would work fine. However I can't seem to get the thing apart easily. The back cover when unlocked at the 4 tabs still won't lift off.
Anyone help as I don't think you can buy them new anymore.

[This message has been edited by Daleford (edited 05-29-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, had the same issue. I dowsed mine with WD40 Spray and made sure it got inside. Then blew it out with canned air and let it sit and drain into a paper towel for a couple of days, cleaned off the outside with rubbing alcohol and installed it. Been working good for the last couple of years

Good Luck - Hope this helps.

------------------
"Because in a split second, It's gone"
Ayrton Senna

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-2-121089.html

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2015 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IIRC, when I did mine I found that there was a metal ring that held the "rocking" part of the switch to the body. Seems like I had to remove that metal ring ( carefully) to get things apart. I used RadioShack electronics cleaner, but also used emory cloth to clean the underside of the contacts. There was a lot of corrosion.

Found this thread and used the outputs to test the switch before I buttoned things back up.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...121903.html#lastpost

------------------
'87 GT in process!

Daleford

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2015 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DalefordSend a Private Message to DalefordEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-2-121089.html

Steve

Interesting link but it seems to be missing one step. On mine the rocking, spring loaded button extends through the circuit board by a center post. It is held there by a spring and a washer and the end of the post appears to have been heated flat by the factory to hold it all together. How do you service that?? It has to come apart to remove the circuit board!
On mine this washer broke as I poked at it so everything came apart. I will hope to re-assemble everything and hold it together with a horseshoe clip from a carb kit.

darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2015 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember now that I used a dremel to lightly trim the post where it was melted so I could remove it. When I replaced it, I think I found a nut that would thread itself onto the post. It was just a regular nut- nothing special. The post was soft enough that it cut it's own threads. I'm sure I used a dab of Red Locktight on it just to be safe. I'm sure one of those push on type retainers would work too, if you can find one the right size. Or you could always just slide a washer on there, and then heat melt the post with a soldering iron.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2015 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive just sprayed tv tuner cleaner into dirty switches to make them work again. It wont short anything out, so it dont matter how soaked it gets. Takes grime and carbon off the contacts.
Daleford

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2015 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DalefordSend a Private Message to DalefordEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fixed mine. The retaining washer had broken on my post so everything came apart. After cleaning all the contacts I re-assembled everything and held the spring down while I slipped a horseshoe clip around the post. I dropped a very small amount of epoxy glue on top of that and now everything is working fine.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock