Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Question for people who have used tthe 4th gen Firebird cluster

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Question for people who have used tthe 4th gen Firebird cluster by Mike Gonzalez
Started on: 05-01-2015 12:24 PM
Replies: 14 (336 views)
Last post by: Mike Gonzalez on 05-07-2015 05:58 PM
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2015 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am thinking about trying the Firebird cluster. Would like to get the 150 speedo but they only came in V8 cars. I am runninng a 3800 and just wondering if the tach would read correctly or if there is a way to convert a V8 tach to work on the V6?

I have searched and read a few threads and PM'd some of the people in those threads, but no luck so far.

TIA
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2015 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I recall the tach is fed from the ECM and more than likely you are going to have to modify it.

I believe I posted the info in jscotts build thread.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2015 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, ill look for it....Is there a stand alone module that i could buy that would run the tach if thaats the case?
Boogaloo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2015 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes there is try Dakota Digital,I am running a 155mph Z28 speedo and it works fine for me.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2015 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice, what year cluster did you use ?
Boogaloo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2015 05:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A 2002 Camaro Z28 a little different from the Firebird.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2015 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh, cool, and the dakota digital module runs all the gauges? do you have a link to what I need?
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2015 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tach mod here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../000119-18.html#p708

cheap and easy to do - sure you can buy the Dakota Digital box, but it costs less than $5 my way.

Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2015 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice, thank you....and if I get a 98 cluster is there a simple way to mod the fuel gauge, or just swap it wit an earlier model the easiest?

Nevermind, looks like you covered that in the same post.....

So if using a V8 cluster on a V6 measure the resistor and divide by .75?

[This message has been edited by Mike Gonzalez (edited 05-04-2015).]

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2015 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Gonzalez:

Nice, thank you....and if I get a 98 cluster is there a simple way to mod the fuel gauge, or just swap it wit an earlier model the easiest?

Nevermind, looks like you covered that in the same post.....

So if using a V8 cluster on a V6 measure the resistor and divide by .75?

Tach - I think that should get you within the ball park.

Yes you have to swap the fuel gauge and make the changes shown.

I also see that jscott1 mentions in the following post that the V6 tach is good to go with V6 engines.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2015 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yaa, i just want the 155 speedo, worth having to mod the tach in my opinion :-)
PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes it is simple enough to modify the tach and if you put a pot in there you should be able to dial it right in to match your rpm reading on a scanner.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hopee so, got one on the way.....do you have any better pics of the solder points then in that thread? Maybe once its in front of me I'll be able to tell what you did.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Gonzalez:

I hopee so, got one on the way.....do you have any better pics of the solder points then in that thread? Maybe once its in front of me I'll be able to tell what you did.

I can look, probably not (maybe higher res so you can zoom in).
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

I can look, probably not (maybe higher res so you can zoom in).

That would be great !

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock