Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Water pump failure or just a cascade of coolant leaks?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Water pump failure or just a cascade of coolant leaks? by FieroCat
Started on: 03-19-2015 12:15 PM
Replies: 3 (767 views)
Last post by: FieroCat on 03-19-2015 03:50 PM
FieroCat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Parked my 86 Fiero GT V6 in the driveway the other day, and then noticed that a large pool of coolant was forming under the rear passenger side. It looked as though a hose burst, but all the hoses were intact. Waited a while and started it again to see where it was coming out from. No leaks, until it warmed up. It seems that the 2 hoses on the passenger side of the engine are spurting out coolant from around the clamped ends connected to the water pump and engine, like there's too much pressure. But the temperature seems fine... and also noticed a pin hole leak had formed in the top hose.
Could this mean (on top of needing to replace the hoses) that the water pump has seized up, causing the coolant to pressurize in the hoses? I am hoping that the timing cover-to-head seal is fine, it could possibly be leaking from there too.

------------------
My Fiero: 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, V6, 4-speed manual

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I went all through this myself within the last year. You might find something of interest in my thread.

Where the heck is this coolant leaking from?
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroCat:

Parked my 86 Fiero GT V6 in the driveway the other day, and then noticed that a large pool of coolant was forming under the rear passenger side. It looked as though a hose burst, but all the hoses were intact. Waited a while and started it again to see where it was coming out from. No leaks, until it warmed up. It seems that the 2 hoses on the passenger side of the engine are spurting out coolant from around the clamped ends connected to the water pump and engine, like there's too much pressure. But the temperature seems fine... and also noticed a pin hole leak had formed in the top hose.
Could this mean (on top of needing to replace the hoses) that the water pump has seized up, causing the coolant to pressurize in the hoses? I am hoping that the timing cover-to-head seal is fine, it could possibly be leaking from there too.

Ive had 2 v6 Fiero's so far, both dumped coolant like crazy from the water pump. The pump is cheap, and my best time so far is about 30 mins, just replace it! Remember to keep the bolts in order, and RTV the crap out of the new gasket..

FieroCat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely going to replace it. Is there a way to tell for sure if the timing cover gasket is leaking? The way it's coming from there, it seems like the hose clamp is leaking but I can't see behind it.

------------------
My Fiero: 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, V6, 4-speed manual

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock