Started on: 03-15-2015 02:00 PM
Replies: 8 (297 views)
Last post by: Steven Snyder on 03-18-2015 08:09 PM
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2015 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I have a 1987 Fiero Getrag 5-Speed that I pulled from a car that I stripped and cut-up (had no title). It's the transmission that I'll be using in my manual transmission swap of my 87 Fiero SE.

Question is... WHERE can I go to get the transmission rebuilt? As far as I can tell, the transmission "works." The car had 110k miles on it, and the clutch looked like it had never been changed. I can't tell if there was any crazy bearing issues or anything. Can I just get it rebuilt at any old transmission shop, or is there something uniquely special about it that it needs to be treated differently?

It's going to my 2.8 V6/60 that's been rebuilt with 3.1 crank and rods and .040 overbore pistons. I'm not expecting more than 190hp.

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dratts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2015 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just slap it in. If it breaks get another one from pull n save. Way cheaper than a rebuild.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2015 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

Just slap it in. If it breaks get another one from pull n save. Way cheaper than a rebuild.

Getrag Fiero transmissions are getting REALLY hard to find, and people are charging insane money for them.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2015 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are willing to pay for shipping, I can recommend Jim & Sons's Transmission in Ohio.

[This message has been edited by no2pencil (edited 03-15-2015).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2015 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

If you are willing to pay for shipping, I can recommend Jim & Sons's Transmission in Ohio.

That actually looks like a REALLY professional shop! Thanks for the link!

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2015 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.mantrans.com/ in Tallahassee, FL
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2015 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

http://www.mantrans.com/ in Tallahassee, FL

Thanks Lar! That's even closer. A days drive and I can go drop it off, and pick it up the same way! My parents are only an hour or so from there.

Thanks!
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2015 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
Thanks Lar! That's even closer. A days drive and I can go drop it off, and pick it up the same way! My parents are only an hour or so from there.

Thanks!

I've done the same recently.. Took mine to the local AAMCO and got RAPPED! ---$495 to split the case labor only, by new CV seals, Anaerobic RTV seal the halves and put it back together (don't forget the prep activator spray).. But then they wanted another $520 for the detent cover! I asked for my tranny back and found this VERY helpful thread below--- FYI, the detent cover part number is 14082039 OEM GM part... I found one for $32.95 plus shipping. The sealant and seals you can find at NAPA.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000008.html

I had no problems with the gears so no dismantling there. Actually doing the job myself was CAKE!

----this was my thread here.. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/134770.html ....but it isn't any sort of instructions.. just a couple great pointers from forum peeps.. as they are always helpful - thanks guys, keep up the great work!

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 03-18-2015).]

Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2015 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Hey guys, I have a 1987 Fiero Getrag 5-Speed that I pulled from a car that I stripped and cut-up (had no title). It's the transmission that I'll be using in my manual transmission swap of my 87 Fiero SE.

Question is... WHERE can I go to get the transmission rebuilt? As far as I can tell, the transmission "works." The car had 110k miles on it, and the clutch looked like it had never been changed. I can't tell if there was any crazy bearing issues or anything. Can I just get it rebuilt at any old transmission shop, or is there something uniquely special about it that it needs to be treated differently?

It's going to my 2.8 V6/60 that's been rebuilt with 3.1 crank and rods and .040 overbore pistons. I'm not expecting more than 190hp.

Thanks!

These are very long lasting transmissions. I would just put it in the car. A rebuild is more hassle than it's worth if you don't really need it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock