Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Are there any "compatible" steering columns?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Are there any "compatible" steering columns? by Neils88
Started on: 03-09-2015 04:50 PM
Replies: 8 (1108 views)
Last post by: dobey on 03-10-2015 08:52 PM
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've just started my Aventador build ( //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/134807.html ) and would very my like to replace the steering column/steering wheel with something more modern (better looking, more comfortable, various buttons, etc). I'm not worried about wiring compatibility since I'm going to be eliminating the key in favor of a RFID start button, and I will be able to graft whatever wires are available. Does anyone know of any column that would be somewhat compatible (i.e. could be connected to the Fiero yoke) without requiring major fabrication? I've never tried to mesh two together so I'm not sure how different they all are (yokes, length, etc).

Any thoughts?

This is how my dash looks right now...great time to swap the column...

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
from what they list on the Fiero sails page it's unique to the Fiero. However the don't list after market parts but you would probably have to do some heavy mods to it.
mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am using a 97 pontiac grand prix gtp steering column (pulled from the engine donor car). But I am also using a 95 camaro rack and pinion so I can add power steering. I saved the yokes from all the cars, and found a combination that worked after a little trimming for length. I made a custom bracket to hold the steering column at the dash, but my whole dash is custom built as I am also doing an aventador build.
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I used a 2003 Grand Am column with my dash swap. The nice thing is it doesn't have a lock cylinder in the column, the tough part was making the wiper switch work in the Fiero. Check out my build thread to see the pics: //www.fiero.nl/forum/F...L/000139-7.html#p267

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 03-09-2015).]

FieroLou

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroLouSend a Private Message to FieroLouEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In terms of parts compatibility, a lot of the internals are the same. In fact, the upper housings are the same as far as I am aware. In my column rebuild, I ended up using a combination of Jeep bearings (They borrowed the column design for some time) and Monte Carlo bearings.

As far as my understanding goes, the biggest difference on the columns is in shaft angles, splines, and lengths of the lower shaft parts.

------------------
1985 Pontiac Fiero 2M4

jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chrysler Sebring or eclipse is used in most lambo builds
If using the. Sebring column need to find one out of an lxi.. Lx and other models have the emergency flasher on top of the column where the lxi and eclipse has it on the dash.. Info on it can be found on madmechanics or lamboclone.
------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a---sold
Northstar Rebuild

[This message has been edited by jb1 (edited 03-10-2015).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys!

Originally posted by jb1:

Chrysler Sebring or eclipse is used in most lambo builds
If using the. Sebring column need to find one out of an lxi.. Lx and other models have the emergency flasher on top of the column where the lxi and eclipse has it on the dash.. Info on it can be found on madmechanics or lamboclone.

I'm probably going to make a trip down to the local pick-n-pull this weekend and take a look. I know there are a few Sebrings down there right now....and people rarely seem to touch the steering columns. It's only $30 for a full column with steering wheel...so I might see what else might possibly be converted to work. I may end up turning this into a bigger project than I originally intended.
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2015 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have to modify the mount. Collapse the column 2". And either weld or buy a coupler for the steering shaft.. I have an eclipse column for my c5 dash install..

------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a---sold
Northstar Rebuild

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-10-2015 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty much any late model GM car column can be adapted with minimal amount of fabrication. Some require a little more than others.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock