Delete the EGR 2.8 by fieromatty
Started on: 01-28-2015 11:36 PM
Replies: 8 (4648 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 07-07-2018 05:51 PM
fieromatty

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I was talking a guy on the phone today and he said I should delete my EGR instead of replacing it. He said I can cap it and splice 2 of the wires on the solenoid to trick the computer into thinking its working. I have read the thread from buddy craigg and I am still lost as to what hes talking about.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/045528-2.html

Reason I want to delete is my egr tube is cracked and the soliniod is going bad.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On one hand I would like to help. On the other, It has always seemed like a good idea to have an operating EGR system, and to 'trick' the ECM into thinking it is there may be problematic in the long run. A new EGR tube is about $70, and last I looked you could get a rebuilt solenoid for $75.

If you are sure you are going to block it off, I think it would be better to get the chip re-programmed to delete any EGR functions.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When the EGR opens, the ECM Richens the A/F to compensate.
"Fooling" the ECM will still cause you to run rich at times.
Fix it, or delete it with proper ECM mods.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would just fix it.
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a re-programmed chip from Phonedawgz (~$55) and removed the EGR, solenoid and associated plumbing. The car runs fine and it cleans up the engine compartment nicely, less things to go wrong. In NJ no NOx emission testing for an 86 so no issue there. I do not use the car as a daily driver however, very little mileage yearly on these guys.

BR's,

Mark

------------------
86 SE V6 4 speed
86 SE V6 Auto
2008 G6 GT "Street" Coupe
2005 Buick 3.6 Rendezvous
2001 Olds Silhouette (AKA The Band Van)

WKDFIRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WKDFIROSend a Private Message to WKDFIROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took my EGR off of my 85 GT and grounded it. It does clean it up nicely, I even took out the TB coolant tubes but since I live the People's Republic of Kali for Nia even though I passed smog at the pipe (a brand new O2 sensor did wonders ) I failed the visual inspection. Had to put it on again, though never hooked it up.
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which wires do you use to ground it out?
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The EGR solenoid has 4 wires. 2 go to the solenoid itself and 2 go to the vacuum switch. The two wires that go to the vacuum switch are the ones you need to connect together.

BR's,

Mark
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2018 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Run with EGR delete on my 3800SC. Haven't noticed any change in fuel mileage as I still get 27-29 hwy mpg. From my understanding of the EGR, it is there to help the engine cruise with a leaner mixture at lower combustion temperatures so that no knock or detonation occurs. I'm not sure that the engine will run richer without the EGR as the O2 sensor will still be monitoring the fueling.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 07-07-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock