Dim Headlights by Joker-1986
Started on: 12-27-2014 08:44 PM
Replies: 5 (197 views)
Last post by: theogre on 12-28-2014 10:57 AM
Joker-1986

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2014 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joker-1986Send a Private Message to Joker-1986Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1986 GT Fiero. I purchased this about a year ago and had not driven much at night. Figured I needed new headlights. I replaced them and even put in HID lights but the light is still dim. I can onlt see a foot in front of the car.

Anyone else dealt with this or have some suggestions of where I can start?

If I missed a previous discussion....
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2014 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2014 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the grounds... There is a write up about adding a new ground on to the engine to fix several electrical gremlins...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/043240.html

Edit: Check obvious things like alternator output. Use a multi meter, the gauge isn't all that accurate. it should be about 14v with the car running.

I also agree tshark, the wiring is old, check the ohm readings, dim lights anywhere means there is high resistance somewhere in the circuit... Ohm out the wire from the bulb back to the various other locations... if you find high resistance, look for corrosion on terminals first before going crazy looking through the harness; simple corrosion on terminals is usually what causes high resistance.

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

[This message has been edited by Shho13 (edited 12-27-2014).]

petehiggins75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2014 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for petehiggins75Click Here to visit petehiggins75's HomePageSend a Private Message to petehiggins75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could be voltage regulator.my alternator is about to crap out on me,poof!just like that.take your car to advance auto or something,they can put their computer on ur battery and do a load test like on my duke or just start ur car and pull the negative cable ans see what happens,hope this helps
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2014 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2014 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Start at See my Cave, Headlights and Wire Service

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock