Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Rough, hesitation, running rich 2.8 turbo FIX!!!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Rough, hesitation, running rich 2.8 turbo FIX!!! by countach711
Started on: 12-22-2014 01:57 AM
Replies: 16 (735 views)
Last post by: countach711 on 06-17-2017 01:49 AM
countach711

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2014 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate when you research subjects and no one posts the fix, SO, I am posting my experience and fix here, hoping it may help someone else!
I bought a turbo charged Fiero with a 2.8 and it ran really rough at lower RPMS and at times it would bog almost completely and have almost no power, but could still run like a bat out of hell at higher rpms and speeds. I did a bunch of stuff and did a quick test drive after each one to see how or if it affected performance. (Car has no EGR or charcoal canister, but it does have a cat.)
Fixes include:
pulled gas tank and it is clean as new
added new fuel pump, sock and fuel filter
tested fuel pressure while driving and it is fine
cleaning electrical contacts at PCM, helped -
cleaning all the electrical plugs I could find on the engine
added ground strap block to battery ground, head to head to block, helped a bit
Cleaned all existing grounds straps I could locate
TPS sensor, helped
new oxygen sensor, helped
new coolant temp sensor
New iac
checked if timing belt had play, it's fine
new ignition control module, helped
new cap and rotor, helped a little
new Accel 8mm spark plug wires
reset timing
checked for vacuum leaks
unplugged tach filter, no difference.
Pulled a spark plug and it looked fine, but replaced them anyway as they were pretty old and worn.
Pulled and cleaned upper intake and throttle body
added an Accel coil #140008 (only $30 on Amazon byt)
added an MSD 6al2 Programmable ignition module.
reset timing again, somehow it had gotten off despite a tight hold down bolt.
Used Seafoam and it helped a lot,

BUT while it no longer bogged down completely, it would still chug at lower RPMs, up to about 2500.

SO, to bring an end to this saga, we were curious if the previous owner had put non-stock injectors in it which was causing it to run rich, so I pulled them to check and they were stock but looked pretty cruddy and had a junk yard mark so when I pulled off the o-rings to replace them, I cracked some of the pintle caps and decided to replace them all together. She runs MUCH better now. No more hesitation at low speeds, no chugging baby!!!
Feel free to ask any questions. The replacement injectors are Standard from RockAuto, only $20 each. It took about an hour and a half to get them out and 2-1/2 to replace everything. I'm not out of the woods yet but this is a huge step in the right direction!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2014 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on your progress and thank you for sharing.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2014 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My pleasure! Update, I AM out of the woods, the car passed emissions with flying colors today, fast pass!!!
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's excellent news! And just in time for an early Christmas present.
turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got pics?
countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2014 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are some pics, sorry for the delay. It is a 20 footer for sure but I paid next to nothing so what are you going to do?

Here's a rear view

Finally, here's the daughter posing for a quick pic. She just got her learner's permit and wants to learn to drive a stick, plus she likes Fieros! Our first lesson didn't go so well, any suggestions?

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2014 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Suggestion: Have Mom teach her I have two daughters and when they were teens they had much better results when my wife did the driving instructions. Congrats on the car, someone put some effort into the convertible conversion.
countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2014 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah, i ĵust noticed i forgot to mention it's a convertible, it's actually still in pretty good nic as the brits would say, but needs a new back window. Thanks for the suggestion but the wife is an -ex and doesn't have a stick. Maybe I'll try my Dad's Miata, it's a lot easier to drive.
CarolinaRigman

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2015 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarolinaRigmanSend a Private Message to CarolinaRigmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What ever happened with the 2.8 turbo? Haven't came across any
new info, or if you are still driving it.
Unusual a convertible.
Thanks!
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2015 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CarolinaRigman:

What ever happened with the 2.8 turbo? Haven't came across any new info, or if you are still driving it.

Perhaps the driving lessons took their toll.

Originally posted by countach711:

here's the daughter posing for a quick pic. She just got her learner's permit and wants to learn to drive a stick, plus she likes Fieros! Our first lesson didn't go so well...

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2015 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What ever happened with the 2.8 turbo? Haven't came across any
new info, or if you are still driving it.
Unusual a convertible.
Thanks!

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/137070.html
PFF
System Bot
CarolinaRigman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2015 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarolinaRigmanSend a Private Message to CarolinaRigmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Gall!! You may have shed some light on a problem I have!
Never even Thought of VSS But, I'll let you know!
If not I'll vote for driving lessons also!
Thanks!
Doug

[This message has been edited by CarolinaRigman (edited 12-11-2015).]

countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2015 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/137070.html

You are correct, sir! I fixed the running rich/like crap issue and now have a new one!

CarolinaRigman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2015 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarolinaRigmanSend a Private Message to CarolinaRigmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey! I've been looking for you to surface.
I was wondering about your turboed 2.8
Did you check that VSS?
I've got the same type problem with my Z71 after a trans. rebuild.
Flu won't let me check it right now, maybe tomorrow!
I've been wondering about the reliability factor of that 2.8
and what it is equipted with.

Doug
countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2016 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey! I've been looking for you to surface.
I was wondering about your turboed 2.8
Did you check that VSS?
I've got the same type problem with my Z71 after a trans. rebuild.
Flu won't let me check it right now, maybe tomorrow!
I've been wondering about the reliability factor of that 2.8
and what it is equipted with.

Doug

Sorry, I just saw this. I can't really tell you what it's equipped with as I didn't build it. My understanding is the engine was rebuilt and it has a pretty healthy size turbo. I did have a problem return where it would want to die under no load or hesitate under lower rpm acceleration. It was solved by removing the MSD box and Accel coil and going back to a stock coil. In all fairness one of the wires going to the MSD box was pretty fried and I did not try replacing it, something I will do before I remove it for good, it is still in place and just unplugged for now. Wish I could give you more info. but the 2.8 is running strong, seems stock until I get on it.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2016 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by countach711:

I bought a turbo charged Fiero with a 2.8 and it ran really rough at lower RPMS and at times it would bog almost completely and have almost no power,
but could still run like a bat out of hell at higher rpms and speeds.

SO, to bring an end to this saga, we were curious if the previous owner had put non-stock injectors in it which was causing it to run rich, so I pulled them to check and they were stock but looked pretty cruddy and had a junk yard mark so when I pulled off the o-rings to replace them, I cracked some of the pintle caps and decided to replace them all together. She runs MUCH better now. No more hesitation at low speeds, no chugging baby!!!

One of our guys spent 6 months trying to track down a similar problem.
He could not bring himself to think that his junkyard injectors may be the problem.
Even after I suggested it!! But once he changed them - his problems were solved too!!
What a difference GOOD parts can make

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-06-2016).]

countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2017 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright, egg on my face but the true fix was remote mounting the ignition control module. The problem returned and this fixed it for good. The turbo is generating too much heat and is close to the distributor. I mounted the ICM in the trunk and the car has not had the problem since. I have driven it many times and it's gotten plenty hot. Hope this helps someone else!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock