Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  All aboard the hype train: Fiero Plastics reproducing GT Tail lights Jan 2015 (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
All aboard the hype train: Fiero Plastics reproducing GT Tail lights Jan 2015 by Shho13
Started on: 11-27-2014 10:52 PM
Replies: 94 (3496 views)
Last post by: Shho13 on 04-21-2015 03:24 PM
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2015 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't quote me on it, but on the Fiero Plastics Facebook page that he ran he had a picture of what looked like a prototype set, and they looked spot on. I think they were made of lexan plastic or something if I remember correctly.

I honestly think he was close to figuring it out...

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

IP: Logged
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2015 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do NOT want to seem like I am bashing Todd. He was a great guy and tried hard to produce plastic parts for the Fiero HOWEVER, none of his ideas would have worked long term and I discussed this with him many times online. The reason is that he used a liquid urethane plastic for everything. When used in a thinner form (center console skeleton), it will break as soon as you apply pressure from resting your arm on it. That type of liquid plastic is used for prototyping and testing.....not final production. He never fully completed any of his projects due to his medical condition as seen in almost all of his threads. The taillights on his page as well as other finished Fiero items were all stock photos or borrowed from different websites.
busa_powered

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2015 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just went ahead and spent alot of money buying a pristine set of OEM with no delamination.

I figure the GT will get painted next year.

I still need to get new carpet, a new headliner, refurbish the wheels, recharge the AC and a few small things until then

I just finished the dew wipe so both are replaced, got the power windows and locks working, had to get new actuators, and a regulator, but had to change the motor to a new one.

The tailights sit in waiting.
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by busa_powered:

I just went ahead and spent alot of money buying a pristine set of OEM with no delamination.

I figure the GT will get painted next year.

I still need to get new carpet, a new headliner, refurbish the wheels, recharge the AC and a few small things until then

I just finished the dew wipe so both are replaced, got the power windows and locks working, had to get new actuators, and a regulator, but had to change the motor to a new one.

The tailights sit in waiting.

Awesome, you are almost in the exact spot I am in with my car, except I am gonna paint mine this summer I am just gonna do the dew wipes and stuff when I take the body panels off for easier access and then I can put the new window tinting on at the same time. I am just waiting for my new sail panels from Fiero Fiberglass to show up to start getting estimates on the paint job.

------------------
"Discord"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shho13:

Awesome, you are almost in the exact spot I am in with my car, except I am gonna paint mine this summer I am just gonna do the dew wipes and stuff when I take the body panels off for easier access and then I can put the new window tinting on at the same time. I am just waiting for my new sail panels from Fiero Fiberglass to show up to start getting estimates on the paint job.

Yeah I will have sail panels replaced when I have it painted. Figure they have something stronger than double sided tape.

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by busa_powered:
Yeah I will have sail panels replaced when I have it painted. Figure they have something stronger than double sided tape.

Make sure to use a lot of silicone in the areas that are marked in my photo. The most important area is the front edge of the window. Notice the black silicone just behind the drivers door. That keeps high pressure air from getting behind the window and prying it off the car. The silicone should be applied along the front edge so that when dry, you can't even hook a fingernail under the lip of the window.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 04-05-2015).]

Slammed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what is the hard part, the lense or the base? What makes these so incredibly difficult to reproduce?
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Make sure to use a lot of silicone in the areas that are marked in my photo. The most important area is the front edge of the window. Notice the black silicone just behind the drivers door. That keeps high pressure air from getting behind the window and prying it off the car. The silicone should be applied along the front edge so that when dry, you can't even hook a fingernail under the lip of the window.

Is there a specific silicone that you would recommend? Also, would you also put double sided tape on there?

------------------
"Discord"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2015 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just regular RTV silicone in a tube. It doesn't have to be black but it would blend in better on the front of the window. I would use the double sided tape only in the same area as the factory.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it would have been better if the fastback had a frame for the sail panel similar to the notchback only cut down to fit the opening
jc8367

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jc8367Send a Private Message to jc8367Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I'm a tail light lens dreamer.

Does anybody have a CAD drawing of the GT light lens and is anyone aware of a patent? I checked uspto & https://www.google.com/sear...l=en&tbm=pts&start=0 and found some stuff around injection molding but that's it.

[This message has been edited by jc8367 (edited 04-08-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
Slammed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's not gonna be a patent for a reproduction tail light
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-08-2015 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slammed:

There's not gonna be a patent for a reproduction tail light

He's asking if GM has a patent for the original light design. But even if there is, it probably doesn't have exact measurements. If there is such a patent, it would have been filed in 1985 or 1986 most likely (the fastback lenses all have the year 86 molded into them for the DOT numbering).

Would be nice to not spam every lens thread that hasn't fallen to the archive yet, to post the exact same thing, though.
jc8367

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2015 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jc8367Send a Private Message to jc8367Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's what I'm looking for dobey. Sorry to spam the site, that wasn't my original intent.

Originally posted by dobey:

He's asking if GM has a patent for the original light design. But even if there is, it probably doesn't have exact measurements. If there is such a patent, it would have been filed in 1985 or 1986 most likely (the fastback lenses all have the year 86 molded into them for the DOT numbering).

Would be nice to not spam every lens thread that hasn't fallen to the archive yet, to post the exact same thing, though.

Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Figured I'd post this here...

If our new friend Slammed is telling the truth, we may finally have reproduction tail lights on the way...

I don't know about you guys, but I am getting back on this Hype Train!!!

------------------
"Discord"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors