84 problem by sgosser
Started on: 10-23-2014 01:20 PM
Replies: 9 (287 views)
Last post by: sgosser on 10-28-2014 12:31 AM
sgosser

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2014 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just acquired an 84 that runs good for 300 bucks. It does have a few issues. the main one is the radiator fan not working. someone ran a wire direct to battery and had it on a toggle switch. I would rather put it back to original. I took off resistor at fan and it is shorted. I tested the wires coming to the relay and no voltage on any with key off. Fuse looks good but my meter has become unreliable in the ohm/fuse features. That is as far as I have gotten. I think there is supposed to be hot on that relay, if so could someone please point me to the next area to check? thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2014 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The big issue is why the re-wire... something was wrong that the PO did not fix... it's all supposed to be hot until it gets to the switch on the engine.
sgosser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2014 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do not know. I am gonna have to explore and test it all i suppose. The fan does work hooked direct, and the resistor is bad. That is what I know for sure. I hope the po just didn't take the time to check everything. The resistor is bypassed in the hi mode if I am seeing this wiring correctly. Guess I need to back track from there.
sgosser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2014 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
resistor tested bad so i went to parts store. They found one they said would work. i took it home and tested it with meter. 1.5 ohms. thats a little high isn't it? I do not know if i should try it or not. any advice? thanks.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2014 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sgosser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried something today. I saw in a post that I could use a green wire with white stripe behind the accelerator for keyed power to the fan. I checked it with a meter and it had 12 volts with key on. I spliced in the hot wire to the fan and nothing happened. Now there is no voltage on the wire. I took fan wire off and the voltage is still gone. fuses check good. Could someone tell me what that wire is for? I am not sure what I have messed up. Hope not too bad. thanks.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You Ground green wires to turn on fan relay for low or high speeds.

See my Cave, Rad Fan
Resistor and warning here.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

sgosser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2014 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I may have to go by what you posted. The po had it direct from the battery on a toggle switch. I want it to be automatic. I know the resistor is bad and hard to find. I thought I would try wiring to key power for now. the green wire I tried has a white stripe and I know it had 12 volts before I messed with it. I do have electrical experience but do not have any wiring diagrams to go by. the green and white wire comes from under the dash and through the firewall at a connector behind the gas pedal. I can't get 12 volts on it now so I fear I have done some damage. If someone has any info on this wire I would appreciate it.
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2014 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I got my 84 the resistor was bad also, I bypassed it and found the fan would not run when the coolant temp got high enough that it should run, I also had no reading on the temp gauge.

What I found after quite a bit of digging was the previous owner had replaced the temp sender on the engine that feeds the temp gauge and turns on the radiator fan with a new one.

I found out that if you order that part from GM and they do a computer look-up it gives a number for a Fan Switch which is incorrect, the incorrect sender had benn installed in my car by the previous owner.

When I figured out that issue and installed the correst sender everything worked great.

Does your temp gauge work when you run the car?

------------------

Where will the road take you today?

Some helpful links I've done
How to remove inner door panels, with pics.
How to remove outer door panels, with pics.
How to make rear coil-overs using factory struts, with pics.
How to remove rear bearing hubs, with pics.
How to modify the stock Fiero radio for MP3 players, with pics.
How to come up with the right coolant hoses for that engine swap...With Pics.
Basic Fiero electrical testing "How To" and equipment...with pics.

sgosser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah the temp gauge works. I went through the same as you with my 85 fiero. I haven't had time to mess with the car today. I am baffled as to what I could have done to lose the 12 volts on that wire. I am gonna recheck the fuses tomorrow.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock