88 gt getrag question need some help by the99camaro
Started on: 10-21-2014 12:07 PM
Replies: 2 (100 views)
Last post by: the99camaro on 10-21-2014 02:17 PM
the99camaro

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for the99camaroSend a Private Message to the99camaroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi I first want to say my knowledge of manual transmissions isn't very extensive this is really the first manual car I've had. I'm doing a complete refresh on this car it had a bad clutch when I got it the friction plate had zero material left on it. I'm pretty sure I installed the clutch disc and pressure plate correctly or so I thought. This is where my lack of knowledge burned me I bolted everything back up and put everything back in the car then noticed I had no resistance on the clutch arm at all I can move it back and forth with my hand and I'm pretty sure that isn't correct but wanted to know for sure before I tore it all apart again and maybe someone one could give me some advice about what may be wrong. I can say I did do some research and my fork wasn't bent or anything and the troublesome bearing hadn't broke yet. I think I installed the throw out bearing right I looked at a bunch of pictures and I installed it the same really don't want to tear things apart but looks like I have to
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you swing your arm back and forth you are swinging the throw out bearing off of the pressure plate and then back on. When you hit the pressure plate it feels like a solid block because the arm would move 1 1/8" for the entire throw of the clutch pedal. No you can't move it by hand and no you can't move it with a wrench on it.

What you are seeing is normal and doesn't indicate you put anything together wrong. It doesn't necessarily indicate you put it all together right, but it does NOT mean you put it together wrong.

Semi-common question on this forum btw.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...030819-2-033780.html

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 10-21-2014).]

the99camaro

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for the99camaroSend a Private Message to the99camaroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thank you very much I measured and I have a little more than 1 3/4 free play before it is solid. I feel kind of stupid at the moment because I was one transmission mount bolt away from taking it out the side guess I know what I'm doing for the next hour thanks again.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock