85 GT 4Spd Vent? by J.E. Rowlett
Started on: 09-19-2014 09:17 PM
Replies: 4 (99 views)
Last post by: J.E. Rowlett on 09-20-2014 11:43 AM
J.E. Rowlett

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J.E. RowlettSend a Private Message to J.E. RowlettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just received my 85 4 spd trans back from the shop. While installing the shift mechanism on top of the trans I noticed a small plastic piece sticking up just beside the mechanism. I haven't noticed this before. I can actually look down inside the trans through the small opening. Is this a vent and should you be able to look down through it or should there be a cap on it???? Possible that I never noticed this because the trans was so dirty. Any help would be appreciated.
John R.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll look at mine this morning and let you know what I see
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Csjag

3170 posts
Member since Dec 2013
Just looked at my 85 4 speed, I do not see any plastic piece sticking up or any openings at all, all I see is a round hard plastic collar pressed into the transmission and surrounding the shift rods that go into the transmission.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the 3rd picture down in this thread, you can see the cap on the pressure vent. It's just below the shift mechanism. It isn't supposed to be open, less water and debris get into the gearbox. Your rebuilder didn't reinstall the vent when they completed the job. Though there isn't much pressure in the trans case, the expansion and contraction of fluid due to temperature and use does require some venting to prevent oil leaks around seals. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/063783.html

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 09-20-2014).]

J.E. Rowlett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J.E. RowlettSend a Private Message to J.E. RowlettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you very much for your answer. I will get with my tranny shop on Monday and see if he still has it. If not I guess I will have to come back to the forum and see if I can find one.
Regards,
John R.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock