Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Do I really need a Fuel Pump Pulsator Dampener? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Do I really need a Fuel Pump Pulsator Dampener? by Alex.07.86GT
Started on: 09-06-2014 09:13 PM
Replies: 40 (2720 views)
Last post by: theogre on 09-22-2014 09:59 AM
Alex.07.86GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone! I have changed a lot of GM Fuel Pumps but this is the first time I've seen a Fuel Pump Pulsator Dampener. Its in my V6 Fiero.
Usually there is a short piece of fuel hose with 2 plastic clamps holding the fuel pump in place. So Do I really need a Fuel Pump Pulsator Dampener Installed with my new FP?
Also, do you think mechanics are installling this part with a new fuel pump, or just a short piece of hose?

Thanks for you time!!!

[This message has been edited by Alex.07.86GT (edited 09-06-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you need a pulsator? No. Is it a good idea? Yes.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also depends on pump used to replace old one.
Some pumps don't use pulsators. Most have this in the install notes.

High or Low pressure? Low pressure units of any type often don't use them. "Old" design high pressure do.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2014 06:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you use a modern turbine style fuel pump then no pulsator is needed. I believe that older fuel pumps were primarily gyrator style pumps that used the pulsator to smooth out the flow and reduce noise.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2014 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While not needed with a turbine style pump, the damper is impervious to attack from fuel.
The hose that comes with the new fuel pumps? I have seen failures due to chemical attack in as little as three months.......
I reinstall the dampener.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2014 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed the rotary Bosch fuel pump in my 85 GT and did not use the pulsator. Can't even hear the fuel pump running and it works great. Make sure you use hose intended for immersion in gasoline and you will have no worries about degradation.
paulcal

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2014 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paulcalSend a Private Message to paulcalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just installed a new turbine pump and it recommended not reinstalling it. They even supplied a bypass hose.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2014 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After dropping enough gas tanks(not all mine) to fix a bad hose, (even with the right type hose) I put the pulsator back on mine last pump change.
benoitmalenfant

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for benoitmalenfantSend a Private Message to benoitmalenfantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:
High or Low pressure? Low pressure units of any type often don't use them. "Old" design high pressure do.

Would the EP240 pump (ACDelco OEM replacement for L44) be considered high or low pressure?

I just had my tank redone and am changing the pump tonight. I was planning on using the bypass hose provided with the new pump and remove the pulsator dampener, but now this thread has me doubting.

I also read a few posts on here where people used their old pulsator dampener and if failed a few weeks after they replaced the fuel pump (guessing the new pump works better and kills the old pulsator dampener?)

------------------
Ben
87 GT / 88 GT
84 Indy #1863

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am guessing the ethanol used in fuel might be causing the fuel hose problems. The pulsator is not needed on modern fuel pumps and I would think that the ethanol would affect the rubber in the pulsator too. I have only had the new pump in for about a year so I am not sure how the supplied hose will hold up but its working great so far. I wonder if later model cars use a rubber hose in the tank and if so is it a better grade rubber?
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Csjag

3170 posts
Member since Dec 2013
I just did a search and found that Gates offers submersible fuel line hose specifically designed for in tank fuel pumps. I would imagine you local parts store would have it.
PFF
System Bot
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by benoitmalenfant:

Would the EP240 pump (ACDelco OEM replacement for L44) be considered high or low pressure?

I just had my tank redone and am changing the pump tonight. I was planning on using the bypass hose provided with the new pump and remove the pulsator dampener, but now this thread has me doubting.

I also read a few posts on here where people used their old pulsator dampener and if failed a few weeks after they replaced the fuel pump (guessing the new pump works better and kills the old pulsator dampener?)

IMO using the old pulsator is not Good!! Especially since it is a fuel passage point with the FP's highest pressure.

Also, will the new pumps always be the correct size for the pulsator? Will it leak fuel?
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

I am guessing the ethanol used in fuel might be causing the fuel hose problems.
I would think that the ethanol would affect the rubber in the pulsator too.

E10 fuel had been in widespread use for more than a decade when the 1988 Fiero was manufactured. Ethanol is not the issue.

I have only had the new pump in for about a year so I am not sure how the supplied hose will hold up but its working great so far. I wonder if later model cars use a rubber hose in the tank and if so is it a better grade rubber?

The issue is that the rubber used in the inner liner of ordinary fuel hose is compatible with pure gasoline and E10, but the rubber used for the outer jacket is not. Submersible fuel hose is what you need for in-tank use; both the inner and outer rubber jackets are fuel compatible. Unfortunately, a lot of people have reported that the hose included with their new fuel pumps apparently was not the submersible kind, because it deteriorated and failed within a couple of years. Submersible fuel hose is expensive.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 09-08-2014).]

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Marvin McInnis

11599 posts
Member since Apr 2002

Originally posted by Alex.07.86GT:

IMO using the old pulsator is not Good!!

I agree. But a brand new pulsator is about $20 ... far less than the cost of your new fuel pump, and not much more than the price of a foot of submersible fuel hose.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 09-08-2014).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

While not needed with a turbine style pump, the damper is impervious to attack from fuel.
The hose that comes with the new fuel pumps? I have seen failures due to chemical attack in as little as three months.......
I reinstall the dampener.

Yes this has happened when std SAE 30R9 fuel injection line is supplied to make the connection. If you use 30R10 submersible fuel injection hose it will last - 3 years on my 3800SC swap and not a hint of a problem.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 09-08-2014).]

Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Yes this has happened when std SAE 30R9 fuel injection line is supplied to make the connection. If you use 30R10 submersible fuel injection hose it will last - 3 years on my 3800SC swap and not a hint of a problem.

how much was that? or can you spare 3inchs ???
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

how much was that? or can you spare 3inchs ???

Two feet lasted us about 3 years and currently don't keep much here in the shop but you can get on eBay here :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gat...d207551e2078d%26pid% 3D100005%26prg%3D10073%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D280971433795&rt=nc

$10 should give you enough for a lifetime buy.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had the submersible hose go bad too. The main thing that causes the hoses to go bad is bad gas, when gas sits and breaks down it does all kinds of bad things to the tank, sending unit, pump and hose. Just an FYI
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Two feet lasted us about 3 years and currently don't keep much here in the shop but you can get on eBay here :
[URL=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gates-27335-Fuel-Injection-5-16-Inch-Fuel-Hose-2FT-2-Feet-225-PSI-MADE-IN-US/400587277495?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D23490%26meid%3De02b32d7fc9c4a658d6d207551e2078d%2 6pid%]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gat...d207551e2078d%26pid%[/URL] 3D100005%26prg%3D10073%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D280971433795&rt=nc

IDK its gotta say SAE 30R10

[url=http://www.napabeltshose.com/~/media/NAPA/Documents/NAPA%20Submersible%20hose.pdf][/url]

[This message has been edited by Alex.07.86GT (edited 09-09-2014).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Especially since it is a fuel passage point with the FP's highest pressure.

Pressure is the same from the pump to the regulator......

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

I have had the submersible hose go bad too. The main thing that causes the hoses to go bad is bad gas, when gas sits and breaks down it does all kinds of bad things to the tank, sending unit, pump and hose. Just an FYI

This is interesting info although I have not experienced it with SAE 30R10 hose. Are you sure that the hose you used had 30R10 submersible fuel injection line stamped on it? What I dislike about the pulsators is that they are not clamped on the fuel feed line. They just slip in place. With a higher capacity/pressure pump they don't give me a warm and cozy feeling against leakage.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

PFF
System Bot
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a neoprene "hose" on mine (white 'milky' looking line available at Home Depot). A friend had some in a Fiero tank that he pulled out of a car & it appeared that it had worked fine without deterioration.
You can't tell me that ethanol is not the culprit here. I've never seen this problem before it was introduced, & I've seen a LOT of documentation where it caused all kinds of problems in other vehicles. Search & you'll see - it's especially bad in the '70s & '80s cars & a lot of boats.
Gee THANKS Congress for giving us this "gift", that reduces gas mileage & f**ks up our cars & boats! (not to mention all the BS with corn subsidies, shortages, & higher prices!)
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is interesting info although I have not experienced it with SAE 30R10 hose. Are you sure that the hose you used had 30R10 submersible fuel injection line stamped on it? What I dislike about the pulsators is that they are not clamped on the fuel feed line. They just slip in place. With a higher capacity/pressure pump they don't give me a warm and cozy feeling against leakage.

The higher the pressure, the tighter the dampener seals. Look how it is designed.

And the pressure is regulated anyway......

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero V6 etc working (from pump to engine) pressure ~45psi and is medium to high pressure depending on what doc's. Some current engines run 100+ PSI fuel pressure.

What I dislike about the pulsators is that they are not clamped on the fuel feed line. They just slip in place. With a higher capacity/pressure pump they don't give me a warm and cozy feeling against leakage.

Pulsator is made to connect hard lines. Push-on method is use by higher pressure systems then most fuel pump make.
Many new cars/trucks have Plastic hard lines w/ push-on connections. Pressure makes these tight in use but easy to work on w/ pump is off and system is bled of pressure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gat...658d6d207551e2078d%2 6pid%

That hose is for lines outside of tank.
Gates, who packages them for NAPA, has two types of Barricade hoses... Low and high pressure and Both types are not rated for in tank use.

NOTE: Do not submerse in gasoline.
Source: Gate's PDF page 1

Submersible Fuel Line Hose are on page 3 of same PDF. Available in 1' and 10' packs.

Ordinary fuel line hose is designed to handle fuel on the inside only. The Gates Submersible Fuel Line Hose Exceeds the SAE 30R10 rating and is capable of handling gasoline, alcohol-extended gasoline or diesel fuel in fully immersed, mobile, stationary and marine applications.

NAPA Submersible Fuel Line Hose PDF w/ FAQ

(Edit to fix link)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 09-09-2014).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Fiero V6 etc working (from pump to engine) pressure ~45psi and is medium to high pressure depending on what doc's. Some current engines run 100+ PSI fuel pressure.

NAPA Submersible Fuel Line Hose PDF w/ FAQ

(Edit to fix link)

Thanks for pointing out the error. The hose that I have in my shop, shown in the picture is the correct SAE 30R10 submersible fuel line. The eBay link does not lead to that hose for sale. It is standard FI hose. The three year (almost 4 yr) hose in my tank is the 30R10 hose and its holding up fine and still doing its job. Note that the hose connection sections sold with some fuel pumps are not always submersible fuel line. If the pump is a Chinese import you can bet that it doesn't come with the right hose.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure it has mostly to do with bad/old gas. I have seen gas last for years, other gas turns bad in a few months. Bad gas kills pumps, kills sending units, rusts tanks, etc. other wise I have seen tanks that are in constant use and look spotless inside. So I would assume it is the bad gas attacking the hose in the tank and turns it to goo. Where gas alone won't do it. Like I saw one Fiero, brand new pump, worked fine, then sat for 4 months, dead pump. Haven't pulled it yet to see what the hose looks like, but we only use the submersible hose and I can't say I would use it twice, where I have yet to pull out a bad pulsator, thus why I went back to one. and as said above the higher the pressure the greater the sealing effect of the pulsator, and the rubber on them always looks nice and clean. I have dropped way too many tanks to count, prob over 50, some hoses look fine some are like gooey tar, but seeing enough hoses get a split in them and not seeing a bad pulsator, my vote goes to the pulsator.
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm sure it has mostly to do with bad/old gas. I have seen gas last for years, other gas turns bad in a few months. Bad gas kills pumps, kills sending units, rusts tanks, etc. other wise I have seen tanks that are in constant use and look spotless inside. So I would assume it is the bad gas attacking the hose in the tank and turns it to goo. Where gas alone won't do it. Like I saw one Fiero, brand new pump, worked fine, then sat for 4 months, dead pump. Haven't pulled it yet to see what the hose looks like, but we only use the submersible hose and I can't say I would use it twice, where I have yet to pull out a bad pulsator, thus why I went back to one. and as said above the higher the pressure the greater the sealing effect of the pulsator, and the rubber on them always looks nice and clean. I have dropped way too many tanks to count, prob over 50, some hoses look fine some are like gooey tar, but seeing enough hoses get a split in them and not seeing a bad pulsator, my vote goes to the pulsator.

I dont think the bad gas kills the hoses. In my tank the 20yro gas melted the foam FP cover and did no other damage to the other rubber parts & wires. There was a weird coating of sludge or mold or something on everything that came off quickly with the AWESOME product I used. The pulsator cleaned up well too. My new pump came with a short hose that I wont use bcause it doesnt say SAE 30R10. I wont use the foam FP cover supplied either. I dont know if a new pulsator will fit my new pump so I bought the 1ft Gates 27093 Submersible 30R10 hose from Amazon @ $20.
**SUBMERSIBLE hose (SAE 30R10) will not dissolve in any kind of fuel or good fuel or bad fuel!***

[This message has been edited by Alex.07.86GT (edited 09-11-2014).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just finished replacing the pump on the Indy because of low fuel pressure, and used the connection hose they supply with the new pump. Problem fixed.

Afterwards, I thought that perhaps the new Dorman pulsation damper I installed at the time was the problem.
I tested it with a vacuum pump and it holds ZERO vacuum - so it's the source of the fuel pressure "leak" and probably nothing wrong with the pump I took out.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-15-2014).]

benoitmalenfant

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for benoitmalenfantSend a Private Message to benoitmalenfantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:
Afterwards, I thought that perhaps the new Dorman pulsation damper I installed at the time was the problem.
I tested it with a vacuum pump and it holds ZERO vacuum - so it's the source of the fuel pressure "leak" and probably nothing wrong with the pump I took out.

How would one go about testing the pulsator dampener with a vacuum pump? Connect the vacuum on the output, pump and put your finger on the other end to see if suction occurs?

------------------
Ben
87 GT / 88 GT
84 Indy #1863

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How would one go about testing the pulsator dampener with a vacuum pump? Connect the vacuum on the output, pump and put your finger on the other end to see if suction occurs?

That's what I did - gauge stayed at Zero.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The pulsator is old technology and is not needed with modern electric fuel pumps, fuel hose degradation is a separate issue.
PFF
System Bot
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The pulsator is old technology and is not needed with modern electric fuel pumps, fuel hose degradation is a separate issue.

has anybody seen 30R10 written on the hoses that come with the Bosch & Delco fuel pumps?? or are they all supplying cheap fuel pump hose?

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I honestly don't remember seeing any markings on either Bosch fuel pump I installed. When I put mine in I didn't use plastic clamps on the hose I used stainless clamps.
benoitmalenfant

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for benoitmalenfantSend a Private Message to benoitmalenfantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Would someone here know if the new OEM ACDelco EP240 pumps are turbine pumps?

I'm reading the Bosch pumps are, unsure if the ACDelco ones are as well (can't find any reference on ACDelso's site nor in the pump instruction booklet).

*EDIT*: ACDelco's website mentions: "Pump changed from a roller vane design to a gerotor design." ... gerotor=turbine?

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by benoitmalenfant (edited 09-16-2014).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

*EDIT*: ACDelco's website mentions: "Pump changed from a roller vane design to a gerotor design." ... gerotor=turbine?

I can see how the roller vane would create pulses that need to be buffered.

The rotary vane design, which many brands use for high-volume high-pressure fuel pumps, have multiple sliding vanes (3) that are driven by a spindle (2). As they rotate, each vane slides out, sealing to the wall of the cavity. The fuel gets trapped between two vanes and pressurizes as the cavity gets smaller towards the outlet. The roller vane pump is the same except the square vanes are replaced with rollers.

Here is an diagram of a georotor pump. The spur gear in the center drives an internal ring gear, which pulls the fluid into the cavity, compresses it through the crescent-moon form in the center and pushes it out under pressure. These pumps are the most efficient of all the designs.

benoitmalenfant

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for benoitmalenfantSend a Private Message to benoitmalenfantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I can see how the roller vane would create pulses that need to be buffered.

The rotary vane design, which many brands use for high-volume high-pressure fuel pumps, have multiple sliding vanes (3) that are driven by a spindle (2). As they rotate, each vane slides out, sealing to the wall of the cavity. The fuel gets trapped between two vanes and pressurizes as the cavity gets smaller towards the outlet. The roller vane pump is the same except the square vanes are replaced with rollers.

Here is an diagram of a georotor pump. The spur gear in the center drives an internal ring gear, which pulls the fluid into the cavity, compresses it through the crescent-moon form in the center and pushes it out under pressure. These pumps are the most efficient of all the designs.

Thanks for that!

According to this site: http://www.pumpschool.com/principles/gerotor.asp

Advantages
  • High Speed
  • Only two moving parts
  • Only one stuffing box
  • Constant and even discharge regardless of pressure conditions
  • Operates well in either direction
  • Quiet operation
  • Can be made to operate with one direction of flow with either rotation

Therefore the gerotor design would produce a constant flow that would not need to be dampened.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just reused my existing pulsator when I replaced the pump in my 88, no issues yet 4 years later.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 06:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just finished replacing the pump on the Indy because of low fuel pressure, and used the connection hose they supply with the new pump. Problem fixed.

They will never hold vacuum, they are designed to hold pressure only, and to do it well.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They will never hold vacuum, they are designed to hold pressure only, and to do it well.

I guess I'll rig something up to test with air then.
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I guess I'll rig something up to test with air then.

IMO if your new pump doesnt need it then dont use it! Its just added weight on the fuel sender or just something else to get rusty, collect dirt!
Most interesting, is that it doesnt clamp on! or Will it really work on your new fuel pump(not leak) when the pump came with a hose???

[This message has been edited by Alex.07.86GT (edited 09-22-2014).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock