Door Rubs Against Fender, How to Fix? by rbell2915
Started on: 09-02-2014 07:00 PM
Replies: 13 (19895 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 09-13-2014 07:35 AM
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just found out that my door is now rubbing against my fender for no obvious reason. My car hasn't been hit or anything, and there's no visible damage besides the paint that is being rubbed off from opening it now . I'm really upset about this because I don't even know where to begin or how to fix it, and my paint is getting ruined! How would I even fix this? It's as though the door panel was pushed forward a little bit. I'd really appreciate any advice, thanks, guys.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may be able to loosen the half dozen hex bolts along the top edge of the fender that become visible once you open the hood, and slide the fender forward a bit since the holes are oblong. If that doesn't do it, then it's quite possible that your door hinges are worn out and letting your door sag. Try opening the door all the way and lifting upwards from the rear-most part of the door (try grabbing it from the underside). If it wiggles up and down, then the hinge pins need to be replaced. The pins are readily available but it's a pain in the you-know-what to replace them if you've never done it before.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car was backed into at work, but looked ok. I didnt use the passenger door for a week or so, and then I did and noticed the rubbing and noise. I loosened up the fender bolts on top and moved the fender just a little. No more rubbing.
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the input, guys. I just did that and it doesn't rub anymore. There's probably 1/64 th inches of clearance. And I also checked the hinges, they are nice and tight. How much should I lossen to bolts to move the fender?
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bolts are about an inch long so you can loosen them as much as you want, but you probably only need loosen them enough to be able to shift the fender around a bit. Before you slam the hood closed, make sure you didn't move the fender inwards too much or it will catch there too!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check your nose on that side. Someone prob bumped you in the parking lot and hit hard enough to push the fender back. If it was a newer car with a flat plastic bumper, it may not even have left a mark.
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Check your nose on that side. Someone prob bumped you in the parking lot and hit hard enough to push the fender back. If it was a newer car with a flat plastic bumper, it may not even have left a mark.

Ok, thanks, I'll check in the morning before school, I'll scour every square inch until something is found. Thanks, Roger.
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rbell2915:

I just found out that my door is now rubbing against my fender for no obvious reason. My car hasn't been hit or anything, and there's no visible damage besides the paint that is being rubbed off from opening it now . I'm really upset about this because I don't even know where to begin or how to fix it, and my paint is getting ruined! How would I even fix this? It's as though the door panel was pushed forward a little bit. I'd really appreciate any advice, thanks, guys.

I noticed this on my passenger door as well. the fender looks aligned well and the car hasnt moved in 2 years. wasnt hit either.

I just thought that maybe the fender is reacting to the hot sun and warping or maybe theres some rust forming between the door frame and the door panel -pushing the door panel out or closer to the fender. Anyways I was going to stick a piece of foam between the fender and the frame to maintain the curve in the fender.

but i will check the alignment again.
DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex.07.86GT:

I noticed this on my passenger door as well. the fender looks aligned well and the car hasnt moved in 2 years. wasnt hit either.

I just thought that maybe the fender is reacting to the hot sun and warping or maybe theres some rust forming between the door frame and the door panel -pushing the door panel out or closer to the fender. Anyways I was going to stick a piece of foam between the fender and the frame to maintain the curve in the fender.

but i will check the alignment again.

I think you are right --- I have had this happen to and blame it on age and the sun.

------------------
84/87 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 2.8 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -11.85 at 114mph

Midn1ght Driv3r

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Midn1ght Driv3rSend a Private Message to Midn1ght Driv3rEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was just about to make a thread about this because it started happening to me. Il have to try this now
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Midn1ght Driv3r:

Was just about to make a thread about this because it started happening to me. Il have to try this now

both doors??
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Later SMC bodied cars widened all the gaps between panels. When the first Saturns came out, they had issues with people not being able to open the doors after sitting in the parking lot all day in the sun as the panels expanded. They also had real problems with Cadillacs and Lincolns when they started using plastics for front fenders, and still trying to keep a nice tight gap. Everyone was opening the doors and busting the backs off the fenders. They went back to metal fenders and replaced damaged ones with metal, stopped making the plastic ones. You cant have the nice tight gaps that you can keep with metal.
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 04:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also check for excessive wear on the door hinge pin. With time they wear and the door will have a small degree of movement. Its a common part and easily replaced.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock