Four Way Flasher Switch by 355Fiero
Started on: 08-25-2014 03:11 PM
Replies: 8 (466 views)
Last post by: hnthomps on 08-27-2014 11:33 AM
355Fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am re-configuring my Fiero interior for a replica build and I have moved all my electrical switches for door locks, windows, trunk, defroster etc. to my custom centre console. I also want to move my switch for the four way flashers to a new switch in the centre console.

I have done a search on here about the four way flashers and switch and any specific requirements around it but have not found the technical details I am looking for about the switch.

My question is:

Is there any specific reason that would stop me from moving the four way flasher switch from the steering column to the centre console and to a different, properly rated, switch? The only reason I am moving the switch is to consolidate the electrical switches to the centre console for my own personal preference so no technical reason behind the move.

Just looking for feedback on any technical reasons I couldn't or shouldn't do it.

Thanks
Don
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure no electronics expert...fact is...I detest wiring in general!

I can't think of a single reason why you shouldn't/couldn't move it to wherever you wanted to as long as you do it like you specify you plan to.

Maybe one of the guys who can do wiring in their sleep will see this and lend their expertise. Like Phonedawgz, or Fiero Guru or BMW Guru, or any one of the very wiring savvy folks.

Anyway, sorry to not be of any help, but maybe the "bump" will get it back where somebody who can will see it.

HAGO!
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, you can't just move the switch or install a new switch. When you push on the switch on the column, it reposition the turn signal switch so the 4 way flashers can go to the turn signal bulbs. You would have to use another set of bulbs for just the 4 way flashers I think. But there might a way to do it\.

[This message has been edited by notwohorns (edited 08-25-2014).]

seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the wiring diagram of the turn signal / hazard switch:

On top of the switch there are 4 contacts that move when the hazard button is pushed. This routes power through the hazard flasher and all the lights, it also opens the turn signal flasher circuit. Because the switch moves 4 contacts, it's not a simple hook up to bypass it. That being said, it's not impossible to accomplish. You would need a DPDT relay. One pole would be for the regular turn signal flasher and the other for the hazard flasher. You would take the power from the hazard flasher and route it through the relay, bypassing the hazard contacts, and through diodes tie it into the Lt Blue, Dk Blue, Yellow, and Dk Green wires. The other pole would be for the regular turn signals. When the relay energizes, it would open the T/S circuit and close the hazard circuit. I could draw a wiring diagram for you if you'd like to try it. How are your wiring skills?

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 08-25-2014).]

355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2014 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks very much all for the great responses.

This is why I asked as I wasn't sure about how the hazard switch actually worked and interacted with the other turn signals. Mush more complicated than just cutting and rerouting wires like I have been doing for the other switch movements. I went out to the garage last night and looked at the steering column and where the hazard switch is and from what I am trying to do, just move a switch so I have a full centre console section, is not worth the additional work to get it there. My time will be much better spent redoing the instrument cluster wiring to plug into my aftermarket gauges etc.

My wiring skills are not excellent but I am anal enough to make sure it gets done right even if it does take me longer.....

I really appreciate the detailed replies folks as it helped me confirm the route to take.

This is why we all participate on forums like these. To help others figure stuff out and make the right calls.

Thanks much
Don
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2014 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you running the stock Fiero dash?
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2014 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am installing an aftermarket dash and gauges so having to redo the wiring to the new locations.

Thanks
Don
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2014 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 355Fiero:

I am installing an aftermarket dash and gauges so having to redo the wiring to the new locations.

Thanks
Don

You could always use a different steering column. I used an '03 Grand Am column with my Toyota dash swap. It had a remote mounted hazard switch so it was easy to wire in.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...L/000139-7.html#p267
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 355Fiero:

Thanks
Don

I am guessing from your screen name and questions that you may be installing a replica F355 interior in your vehicle and rewiring using new instruments (maybe VDO). I went through the same process when installing a new Amida F355 interior and VDO instrumentation in one of my Meras. I also ended up leaving the flasher in its normal location even though I have a switch on the center console labeled as a "flasher". It was just too much work to relocate this switch and I elected not to make further modifications to the car.

Nelson

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock