How Wide tires with Coil Overs ? by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 05-17-2014 11:33 PM
Replies: 9 (806 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 06-08-2014 08:03 AM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How wide a tire can be used on a 87 GT with Coil Overs and still stay" inside" of the wheel lip ? Thinking of 17" rims. Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
9.5" wide. However I don't think 17" wheels will clear the strut knuckle. 18" and bigger will allow the wheel to be offset inwards and clear the knuckle. One of the best examples is Nosaints car on here. He is running 19x9.5 on the rear and 8.5 in the front:

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2014 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
for some reason, the pictures won't open (Box with an X) right click does nothing.
Tweeder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any further info on this? I have a set of coil overs that I was planning on converting my stock shocks with but I don't want to do that if my 17's won't clear cuz then it's too late.

------------------
86 SE Convertible 3800sc 4t65e HD.

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My son has 225/50 R17 on Scion rims, on the rear. KYB coil overs. There is not much clearance between the tire and coil, but it is inside the lip. I can't imagine going too much wider with this set up. Sorry, I do not know how wide 17" scion rims are. Nor do I know the offset. However, they are a common rim used in this set up, so someone may know that answer.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 05-20-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

for some reason, the pictures won't open (Box with an X) right click does nothing.

Looks like more Image Poster problems......

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now the Pics are opening. NICE CAR ! REAL Nice wheel ! Somehow I know they weren't cheap !
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just thinking but without actually looking, I'm assuming that the stock coils are quite a bit larger in diameter as well as the pad thingy that the coils sit on and gets cut of; than the coil overs? If hats the case then why is there a clearance issue?

------------------

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any info?

------------------

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tweeder:
Any further info on this? I have a set of coil overs that I was planning on converting my stock shocks with but I don't want to do that if my 17's won't clear cuz then it's too late.

Originally posted by Tweeder:
I was just thinking but without actually looking, I'm assuming that the stock coils are quite a bit larger in diameter as well as the pad thingy that the coils sit on and gets cut of; than the coil overs? If hats the case then why is there a clearance issue?

Depending on how deep the offset is, 17" wheels will likely hit the mounting point between the strut and the suspension upright. The picture below is an 88 and I think the 84-87 mounting point is slightly lower, but probably not enough. The tool was set to 17", so for me 18" is the minimum wheel diameter to maximize wheel width.

Here is a good drawing that Blooze did for a 18x 10 1/2" Vette wheel and the 88 suspension, followed by some actual mock up pictures. Notice the inside of the wheel just barely clears the strut/upright mounting flange. The other thing to notice is how close the inside edge of the wheel is to the strut body. If you run a coilover sleeve all the way down to the base of the strut, it may not clear, so it would be best to mount the sleeve off the weld bead for the stock spring perch.

Now this 10 1/2" wheel is too wide to fit under a stock bodied fiero w/o pulling the suspension in, but by relocating the tops of the struts in 1" and using shorter lateral links (and shorter axles), then it does fit...
W/o suspension mods:

With the suspension pulled in:

A lot more info and pictures are in this thread:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/120740.html
------------------
Products: 88 13" Brake Kit, 88 12" Brake Kit, 88 Lateral Link Relocation, 84-87 Machined Front Hubs, Custom Machining
Engine Swaps:
LS4/F40, HSR/SBC/F23, Pro-Flo/383/Getrag, 4.3CPI/4T60, Ramjet SBC/Getrag, 4.9/Isuzu, Carb SBC/Isuzu, 4.5/Isuzu

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 06-08-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock