Throttle shaft seals by cebix
Started on: 05-01-2014 12:12 PM
Replies: 3 (137 views)
Last post by: cebix on 05-03-2014 09:48 AM
cebix

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There seems to be some leakage and a lot of space around the ends of the throttle plate shaft - where it connects to the TPS and where the gas pedal linkage goes. I can definitely see through it when I took the TBI off. There seem to be little gaskets at both ends of the shaft and I'm thinking they are worn. Anybody tried replacing those? Do the TBI rebuild kits have those?

Car is an '85 duke. Here is a picture of the areas on a Holley to explain it better (not mine obviously but only good photo I could find):

EDIT: I found just this thread concerning the issue: //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-2-087100.html

Those are exactly the felt thingies I'm talking about. Are the replacable? They aren't a snug fit to the shaft whatsoever in my case.

[This message has been edited by cebix (edited 05-01-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a throttle body rebuild kit that has lots of little gaskets in it. I don't know if it has the item you are looking for, but you can see an image at the Rock Auto website.

http://www.rockauto.com/cat...?pk=46922&cc=1249196

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-02-2014).]

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 05:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know exactly what you are talking about, no I do know where to find them.
I even had a friend bring in his Fiero and he got a new TB, it still leaked a bit, not as bad as his old one.
I greased mine up, it leaked the least, but still a tiny bit. Since you would oil the old leather seals of the old Colmen stoves, I thought this would work best, beyond finding new ones.

Just my $.02

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 05-03-2014).]

cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. Unfortunately the kits I've seen don't have those either. Technically I understand that those are there just to prevent dust and grit going into the engine. And I don't think they are a vacuum leak, because the shaft is well before the butterfly valve and is always at atmospheric pressure. But since they are nowhere near being sealed they will just drag in all the dirt from outside. Nobody ever tried replacing those? Because I'm a little skeptical in removing them since I don't know what I'll end up with.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock