Trashed my Getrag by boxen
Started on: 04-25-2014 09:28 PM
Replies: 13 (484 views)
Last post by: boxen on 07-25-2014 12:27 AM
boxen

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boxenSend a Private Message to boxenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I drove my 88 Formula around without checking to make sure it had oil, and now it's hashed. Stuck in gear, I split the case and it's full of metal shavings. Yep, I'm not the brightest. I've been looking for Fiero Getrags around on Craigslist, and haven't found any replacements. I'm planning on a 3800SC swap a year or so down the road, so I've been debating my options for transmission replacement.

So, as I see it, my options are:
1. Get my existing 282 rebuilt - Probably expensive, if I can find a shop to do it.
2. Get a FWD 282 from a late 80's-early 90's FWD GM V6 - Would require Rodney's kit, but the local Pick n Pull yards only charge $130+$30 core, so that's not terrible
3. F23 Swap - Transmission is the same price, or $250 if I get one locally. Would have to make my own brackets or buy some premade, BUT it would be used on the 3800 swap as well.

I'm not willing to just jump into the 3800 swap right now, due to having a small work space and insufficient funds for a full swap. I'd like to get the car running with the 2.8 and verify everything else works (fuel pump, radiator, gauges, etc) before I swap engines and cause more problems.

Option 1 is unlikely, since the cost of a rebuild would equal or exceed the cost of the other options.
Option 2 is probably the cheapest, but I'd probably ditch the transmission in a year or two. As far as I know, there are complications to just swapping the gears from a FWD 282 onto the Fiero Getrag bellhousing, correct?
Option 3 is tempting and the cheapest long-term, but more work and expense right now. I know the F23 can use the Fiero axles, but as far as I know it will need a HTOB spacer and the Dakota Digital converter for the speedometer. I've read I will also need to modify the existing 2.8 engine mounts to move the transmission over slightly, which if true is more work still.

Do I have other options I don't know about here? Suggestions? I'm not swapping to an auto, and I don't have money for the full 3800 swap right now.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by boxen:

2. Get a FWD 282 from a late 80's-early 90's FWD GM V6 - Would require Rodney's kit, but the local Pick n Pull yards only charge $130+$30 core, so that's not terrible
3. F23 Swap - Transmission is the same price, or $250 if I get one locally. Would have to make my own brackets or buy some premade, BUT it would be used on the 3800 swap as well.

The local Pick-A-Part often charges just $49.95 (plus refundable $20 core charge) for a tranny. It's a very good deal.
boxen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boxenSend a Private Message to boxenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My local lists prices online, it's $129.99+$29.99 core, with half-off specials reasonably often. The next half-off special will be Memorial Day weekend, so I'm trying to come up with a solid plan by then.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 05:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would also recommend the later 282. I have a 93 Beretta Getrag in my car. I like it particularly for the integrated slave/release bearing. If you don't want to mess with that, I think a '90 version would work for you. You may still need the Dakota Digital adapter. (The magnetic VSS in the later getrags works perfectly with my 4.9 ECM. I'm not sure about the 3800.) The earlier you go, the more likely that the VSS will work without the adapter. The benefit of the later Getrag is the improved differential. I think that started in '90.

My tranny swap thread.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-1-085296.html

Lots more good info here (where I got my inspiration.)
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-2-091336.html
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Once you get new cables to work with the F23 (about $200 worth), fab your cable bracket. (not expensive but just a PITA to get it right) get the HTOB spacer. You have a bullet proof transmission. And if you do manage to kill it, 90% of the work is already done. Just get another F23 (they are everywhere) and drop it in. You can even make a hybrid F23 from a solstice and swap the bell housing to get even better gearing.

boxen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boxenSend a Private Message to boxenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I should also mention that I also need a new select cable at the minimum, so new cables aren't a huge deal either.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

The benefit of the later Getrag is the improved differential. I think that started in '90.

I think the stronger diff only came in the (some) Quad 4 trans.
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

I think the stronger diff only came in the (some) Quad 4 trans.

Thread hijack ... sorry. I've got a Quad 4 Getrag if you need one.

[This message has been edited by gtoformula (edited 04-26-2014).]

trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an Isuzu you can have free. Larry
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg:

Just to add to this, I had an Isuzu mated to the 2.8l (before my 3800SC swap) and it was nice! I don't know why the Isuzu has a bad rep... That trans was smooth and worked well on the 2.8.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by boxen:

I drove my 88 Formula around without checking to make sure it had oil, and now it's hashed. I split the case and it's full of metal shavings.

If that is the case it is now only worth scrap weight. Certainly not rebuild-able in any way.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

PFF
System Bot
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg:

Originally posted by Purple86GT:
Just to add to this, I had an Isuzu mated to the 2.8l (before my 3800SC swap) and it was nice! I don't know why the Isuzu has a bad rep... That trans was smooth and worked well on the 2.8.

Never had a problem when I had an Isuzu mated to my 2.8,and lot cheaper to install with his price

[This message has been edited by fireboss (edited 04-27-2014).]

boxen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boxenSend a Private Message to boxenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

If that is the case it is now only worth scrap weight. Certainly not rebuild-able in any way.

Yep. I didn't have a lot of hope for anything other than maybe the case and shift/clutch linkages to be useful. The bearings are without a doubt shot, along with the shafts and most of the gears.
boxen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for boxenSend a Private Message to boxenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just bumping this with information if it ever pops up in anyone's search.

What I ended up doing was finding a FWD Getrag from a 1990 Beretta Indy with a 3.1. The intial plan was to buy Rodney's adapters, but as I had my trashed transmission apart already, I decided to poke around (my reasoning being "It's not like I can break it more"). I removed the select shaft from the bad transmission, following much cursing and hammering, using the directions in the transmission manual, and then split the case on the Beretta Getrag and did the same. I have a picture showing the differing lengths of the shafts I will post later. I was able to reassemble the two transmissions using the gear housing of the Beretta transmission and the (thoroughly cleaned) bellhousing of the Fiero transmission. I haven't yet re-installed the transmission in the car (waiting on a new throwout bearing), but the case halves went together without issue and all five gears + reverse can be selected.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock