Installing a new headliner by huracan2015
Started on: 04-24-2014 06:02 PM
Replies: 12 (531 views)
Last post by: huracan2015 on 04-26-2014 10:35 AM
huracan2015

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm expecting new material in the mail today, and was wondering if there are any tips you have, or maybe anything to be careful of. Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I remember correctly there is a Buddy Craig vid on You tube. Might see if your could find it. Try searching, "Fiero headliner" over there. Also might try the same search here on PFF. Tons of threads. Here is my half hearted attempt to recover my headliner. Mostly shock and comedy at the previous owners expense!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-2-120201.html

Tips?

Use a green scrubbie to remove the old dried up foam. Lightly brush it off with a dry scrub sponge. It should all just fall off. Don't wipe to hard or you will get into the fiberglass.

For myself, spray both surfaces to be mated with adhesive. Let sit for a few moments then carefully stick together. DONT use your finger tips and push hard onto the material. You will soak the material through and have finger print like dents everywhere.

Oh yeah, be very careful removing and installing the headliner. I left the seats in and used them to prop one side of the headliner up while I worked.

If I remember correctly you only need to fully remove one side of the plastic interior trim pieces.

That is about all I can remember right now. Definitely do a search here on PFF and educate yourself as much as possible. There have been TONS of discussions on what the best adhesive is to use and what is the best material and it's source. All in all it's a fairly easy Fiero fix. Actually can be fun and the results are VERY gratifying as you will no doubt see it every time you get in! You can do it and we are all here to help!!

GL and have fun!
Andrew
Vanet

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanetSend a Private Message to VanetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One thing you need to do, is give the glue a little more time to set up. It is a contact cement. So it should be dry enough that when you touch it none comes off on your finger before you try to install it. Keep in mind, you only get one shot once it is stuck it is there to stay. Good luck
jschmidt95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jschmidt95Send a Private Message to jschmidt95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
don't know if you have a sunroof or not, but if you do, leave a lot more extra fabric in the sunroof hole than you think you will need. It's always better to have too much rather than too little (you can always cut the extra out whit the headliner in the car). I found this out the hard way

-John
kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did mine on page one of my thread I had never done one before, not as hard as I anticipated.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089015.html
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got my car apart, and tried to lay down the new fabric. I have 2 problems. First, my board is falling apart so when I press the fabric into all the curves, it pulls back up and rips he old fiberglass. Second, the material I bought WILL NOT STRETCH therefore there is wrinkles everywhere!!! I just wasted my board, and my $90 material.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The correct material stretches a LOT. A few years ago it was available at the usual fabric stores...maybe it still is.
kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

The correct material stretches a LOT. A few years ago it was available at the usual fabric stores...maybe it still is.

Still is , this is where I got mine
http://hancockfabrics.com/search?q=headliner

huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

I got mine from K-Mart. It's the Heads Up Carbon Fiber kit.
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One more tip - I've done this about 5 times on headliners. Works even better if your headliner board is in rough shape. Get yourself some fiberglass resin and a tight napped roller - I use those disposable 3" wide trim rollers. Once the board is clean, mix up some resin and roll on a coat. let it dry. Rough it up with some 80 grit, wipe it clean and then apply your glue to the board and material. Like said above, make sure the contact cement is setup. The board will be ridged and the material will stick far better to the solid surface versus the pressed fiberglass surface. Also, later on when the headliner is back in the car, the material will not pull loose in the head wells of the board.
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by huracan2015:

I got mine from K-Mart. It's the Heads Up Carbon Fiber kit.

Sorry about your luck. Maybe you can return it? You must still have the receipt right?

No offense but what did you expect from a Kmart headliner kit?

PFF
System Bot
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What these YouTube videos first, the Buddy Craig series!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B3fQjGPxqI
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weloveour86se:

Sorry about your luck. Maybe you can return it? You must still have the receipt right?

No offense but what did you expect from a Kmart headliner kit?

It's actually a good kit from what I've heard. I only got it at K-Mart because it was on sale, but it's pretty much the only brand all the major part stores sell.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock