what to do about a sleeve for poly install by boostme
Started on: 04-13-2014 03:28 PM
Replies: 7 (204 views)
Last post by: MulletproofMonk on 04-14-2014 08:31 PM
boostme

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boostmeSend a Private Message to boostmeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Howdy all

What can I do about a new sleeve for the poly install on the control arms? I am having no luck burning out the remaining rubber. I do not have the time or the work area really to spend the time burning these. I am working in an apartment parking lot.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Usually just evenly heat the outside of the bushing sleeve to liquify the rubber bushing surface, then start heating the small end of bushing and they pop out on their own. I've seen them fly 20 feet before. Let it cool, wipe the inside with gas on a rag, maybe hit with a wire brush.
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with olejoedad's method . It doesn't take THAT long. I feel your pain about working in the apartment parking lot, been there done that. The trick is definitely heating the outside of the sleeve. The first couple you do may take a bit to get the hang of but once you get the method down pat its not too bad. I did mine in the driveway sitting on an old milk crate.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a little$10 BBQ grill and did them in it, then threw it away when I was finished. I used a MAPP gas torch to get them started. Funny thing, that was 14 years ago, and I used that same bottle of MAPP gas today to solder some copper fittings.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just drilled around the inner sleeve and they peeled right out.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:
I just drilled around the inner sleeve and they peeled right out.

That or heat inner sleeve so rubber will melt then pop out inner sleeve. push/pry out the rest.
But many love burning rubber so they repeat the same myth burning out whole part....

Only OE bushing "glued" to outside sleeve is maybe front cradle.

See my Cave, Bushings and rest of Suspension section.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A hole saw on a drill, then a wire wheel on a drill, if you dont want to burn the rubber.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined '87 Duke (Sold)
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you burned them out and have rubber in there still... Do what Joe said...
If you are still working on them, build one of these and you get them out clean... //www.fiero.nl/forum/F...L/094633-3.html#p105

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock