Started on: 04-12-2014 09:43 PM
Replies: 3 (95 views)
Last post by: trotterlg on 04-12-2014 11:50 PM
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, just wanted some thoughts from others before I overthink things and make a mistake...

In the middle of my 4.9L swap ( https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129733.html ). I just dry fit the engine into the bay to check some clearances while I work on the exhaust. While it was in place, I figured I'd take a second and hook up the clutch just to check how it feels since it's a Stage III.

Nothing. Foot went right to the floor.

Quick background. I am using the Isuzu tranny, with a Stage III Kupp clutch. During the swap I simply unbolted the slave cylinder when pulling the 2.5 engine and never touched it again until now. The throw out bearing was low mileage so I didn't change it. The Kupp clutch (i.e. pressure plate fingers) is the same thickness as the stock 2.5 clutch. This should have been a simple bolt and replace situation with no adjustments required.

Assuming there wasn't some spontaneous failure of the master cylinder or slave cylinder while it was sitting there, the hydraulic system should be set perfectly. With the slave cylinder piston pushed in fully, there is about an inch and a half gap to the clutch lever. I used a breaker bar on the clutch lever, and clearly I can disengage the using the bar...which seems to indicate the clutch lever is simply in the wrong spot. My confusion is that I never changed anything (...yes I changed the clutch, but it was the same thickness...), so it should already be in basically the correct position. Should I unbolt the clutch lever at the transmission and adjust it there?

What am I missing?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have any fluid in the system?

------------------

Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

Do you have any fluid in the system?

Yes...system was full.

Having said that, quick update....

I put an inch and a half wood spacer between the rod and the clutch lever to simulate the realignment of the lever and tested it...still nothing. Did a quick bleed and it did start to tighten up, so obviously I somehow got air in the line (I was getting at least an inch of movement of the clutch lever by the end of the bleed). Master cylinder was full, and there didn't appear to be any leakage, so not sure what happened. Master cylinder emptied during the bleed, so no issues there. So that brings me back to the first question....do I adjust the clutch lever and then bleed the system? or just bleed the system? What is the maximum throw length for the slave cylinder?
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have no real knowledge of how far the clutch face moved with the new install. Think I would push the arm in, measure the rod and make one up that gives you about 1/2 inch of slack. Larry

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock