Started on: 04-09-2014 02:00 PM
Replies: 62 (1362 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 03-27-2018 12:08 AM
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At some point, every '88 Fiero ECM will die. The conformal coating shrinks over time and flexes the board, causing components to come off the board and traces to break. The symptoms are NOT predictable, since it depends on what circuits are first affected. The problems can also be intermittent. If the ECM is questionable or original, I think that's a part worth replacing without any further diagnosis.
IP: Logged
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:
Now just because the sticker on the outside says ALWK that doesn't mean the prom inside is an ALWK. Take the cover off and compare the PROM with the chart from the link above.

We drove an hour away to the only auto parts store in NJ that had the ECM in stock.... but it didn't come with the PROM, you had to use your old one. Since I have no clue what's wrong and the ECM has been messed with, I didn't want to use the old PROM.. or anything original at this point so no deal. I went to the local parts store and ordered one that should come with the PROM, be here Tuesday.
And just for the hell of it at this point, the PROM reads; JL27C128A/26500 4 SINGAPORE 46

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 04-20-2014).]

DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DLCLK87GT

2694 posts
Member since Feb 2009

Take the cover off and compare the PROM with the chart from the link above.

Nothing even close to what that chart shows.......

DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DLCLK87GT

2694 posts
Member since Feb 2009
Nothing even close to what that chart shows.......unless I'm missing something. # JL27C18A/26500 4

Yikes, sorry about that. Not sure what happened.......anyway

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
27C128 refers to the chip that the program would be loaded on to.

The 3 or 4 letter code refers to the program that GM would load onto the 27C128 chip

So your PROM is only labeled as to the chip but not with the sticker on top of it that designates what program is loaded onto it, it seems.

Generic 27C128 PROM

PROM with label

Most (almost all) replacement ECMs do not come with a PROM. If they didn't ask for your specific make model year engine and transmission then it would not be possible for them to ship you an ECM with the correct PROM in it.

I can burn you a PROM for your ECM if needed.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 04-20-2014).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

phonedawgz

17091 posts
Member since Dec 2009

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

At some point, every '88 Fiero ECM will die. The conformal coating shrinks over time and flexes the board, causing components to come off the board and traces to break. The symptoms are NOT predictable, since it depends on what circuits are first affected. The problems can also be intermittent. If the ECM is questionable or original, I think that's a part worth replacing without any further diagnosis.

I disagree.
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And this is off the exposed face of the PROM, after some prying the backside sticker reads; DELCO ALWK 6126
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ALWK refers to the PROM that was originally in the ECM. The ALWK prom wasn't used in a Fiero.
Now just because the sticker on the outside says ALWK that doesn't mean the prom inside is an ALWK. Take the cover off and compare the PROM with the chart from the link above.

So with ALWK on it this is the wrong PROM??

I can burn you a PROM for your ECM if needed.

I might need you to. How much and how long would it take? It's an 88, 2.5 Auto with AC if it matters. There's a local yard that had an 88 but can't remember if it was an auto or 5spd. Maybe I'll go check it out but a new one would be better.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 04-21-2014).]

DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BINGO!!!
Thanks to everyone for there help and especially phonedawgz for my new PROM; I put in the new ECC/ECM that I ordered from AutoZone with my new prom and it started and ran!!! Granted it's still not right as it wont run without me pushing down on the gas pedal keeping the RPM above 700ish, and it's got a slight skip/pop to it but I suspect that's a sensor or vacuum leak, possibly the IAC needs to be reset again now it's got the right computer/PROM telling it what to do but it's definitely out of the ICU ward and into recovery. Hopefully this weekend I can pull and reset the IAC, quadruple check the vacuum lines and get her running 100%. it was awesome to hear it run without the horrible skip/backfire up the TB and to finally know that the major issue was a bad ECC/PROM and not a timing gear or fubar motor. Thanks again everyone! PAGE LIVES!!!! My wife named it Page

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 04-23-2014).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A vacuum leak won't cause a speed density (MAP sensor) ECM to go lean . Check your fuel pressure. Suspect fuel delivery even more if it seems to lean out more when the power demands are higher.

Unscrew the IAC. Clean out the IAC hole and make sure nothing is keeping the IAC from moving the pintle. Retract the spring and see if you can easily screw the pintle in. If so screw it in a bit but not enough to bottom it out. Reinstall and see if the ECM can then control the idle.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 04-23-2014).]

DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A vacuum leak won't cause a speed density (MAP sensor) ECM to go lean . Check your fuel pressure. Suspect fuel delivery even more if it seems to lean out more when the power demands are higher.

Unscrew the IAC. Clean out the IAC hole and make sure nothing is keeping the IAC from moving the pintle. Retract the spring and see if you can easily screw the pintle in. If so screw it in a bit but not enough to bottom it out. Reinstall and see if the ECM can then control the idle.

Will do. Need to get a new tubing bender to install the fuel pressure gauge adapter and am also going to replace the CTS, MAP and MAT sensors as they are the only things that aren’t new…..I figure what the hell at this point. Will also pull the IAC and screw the pintle back in. I did this when I rebuilt the TB but when I tried to reset it using the ALDL it didn’t work like it was supposed to. I think the fan turned on instead.
PFF
System Bot
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I added a fuel pressure gauge; https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/132886.html checked the IAC, replaced the MAT, MAP, CTS.

And it reads 10psi when i turn the key on, crank the car it stays at 10, open the bleeder and it drops to 0 while cranking, still no start.
One thing that had me thinking last night, if i turn the key on the pump comes on, gauge goes to 10psi, pump stops. If i open the bleeder on the gauge fuel comes out and the pressure drops to 0, but the pump does not cycle back on. With the loss of the fuel/pressure shouldn't the pump try and compensate?

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 05-14-2014).]

DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DLCLK87GT

2694 posts
Member since Feb 2009
bump for help.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

And it reads 10psi when i turn the key on, crank the car it stays at 10, open the bleeder and it drops to 0 while cranking, still no start.
One thing that had me thinking last night, if i turn the key on the pump comes on, gauge goes to 10psi, pump stops. If i open the bleeder on the gauge fuel comes out and the pressure drops to 0, but the pump does not cycle back on. With the loss of the fuel/pressure shouldn't the pump try and compensate?

Not on most cars as far as I know, I drained a 2003 Grand Prix once at the fuel filter, I had to keep turning the key off and on to use the pump to drain it.
In My Formula I had to jumper some connectors to get the pump to keep running to drain the tank via the pump.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-14-2014).]

DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:
Not on most cars as far as I know,

OK so then if 10psi is good then it's not the fuel pump. The only thing that i can think of that i haven't replaced is the injector, but i don't think that's it. The spray looks good to me but it's possible the PO put the wrong one in. He did put the wrong ECM in.

DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for suggestions other than put it in the mall??
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Do you get a good volume of fuel from the fuel line?

I had a similar issue and my injector in the TB was bad (88 2.5). It wouldn't function, but it looked ok visually (it didn't leak and was putting out some fuel).

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-2-115604.html

DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Initially I thought it was dumping in too much fuel but after I put in the correct ECM it’s now spraying what I’d expect. But visually it’s hard to say if it’s too much or not enough unless I have another one to compare it to. I guess I can get a new one and see if it helps. What’s another $50 at this point. 

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont know it 10 lbs is normal or not, but someone should.
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I dont know it 10 lbs is normal or not, but someone should.

GM service manual for 88 says 9 - 15 pounds.

Page 6C7 (courtesy of Phonedawgz)
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went to the local u-pull it and no injector but still think it's something else.
Tonight I pulled the metal fuel lines to make sure they were clear and they are. I blew into the return and heard bubbles in the tank.
When I tried to start it tonight the oil gauge that's been pegged since I got it ( actually it's never moved, I thought the needle fell off) flicked down to zero and then pegged again when I cranked it. Bad sending unit or relay? Would this cause the no start/run issue?
PFF
System Bot
ToddQ

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2018 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddQSend a Private Message to ToddQEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for digging up an old thread. I've got the same exact issue I am dealing with on an 87 2.5 Auto. Did you ever get the car running?

------------------
Daughter's 1987 Fiero Sport Coupe 2.5L Automatic

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2018 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ToddQ:

Did you ever get the car running?

Judging from the results of running a search on his username here... I'd say he didn't.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock