To Stretch, or Not To Stretch? by Corpsmen Ed
Started on: 04-04-2014 10:44 AM
Replies: 7 (592 views)
Last post by: johnguzman1212 on 04-05-2014 12:43 AM
Corpsmen Ed

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Corpsmen EdClick Here to visit Corpsmen Ed's HomePageSend a Private Message to Corpsmen EdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Debating on whether to stretch my car or not. The main purpose would be lengthing the wheel base to acheive the look I want, as I don't think body mods alone will get me there. Also having more room in the rear for motor maintenance and accessories (like relocating radiator, trans cooler, battery, etc to rear of car.) I am think of doing a 5' to 7' stretch.

What am I looking at? I know cables & wires might need lengthening. Hoses other than fuel lines would be moot since I am locating that stuff in back anyway.

Thoughts?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you know how to do the stretch properly go for it, but having the radiator in the back of the car may be a cooling issue. Just determine how you would do an extension.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Corpsmen Ed:
I am think of doing a 5' to 7' stretch.

5 to 7 foot stretch?!!! For starters, you'll need a couple steel I beams.

The only things connecting the rear cradle and its systems to the rest of the car, are: main E-brake cable, brake lines, clutch line (or auto shift cable), throttle cable, radiator hoses, heater hoses, fuel lines, and wire harnesses. If you have a plan for each of those, then you're covered.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your going that big, you need to fab your own frame from scratch. I agree that a rear radiator wont work...unless maybe you tripple its size. What are you going to do with a 20' long Fiero ? My limo is only 22'...

or are you making this ?

logical1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for logical1Send a Private Message to logical1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suggest you check madmechanics message board. Even though you may not be doing a lambo replica the process of a good structure streach is the same. There are a lot of build diaries showing in detail how they did the strech and made it structurally sound
Corpsmen Ed

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Corpsmen EdClick Here to visit Corpsmen Ed's HomePageSend a Private Message to Corpsmen EdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dang shift button. That was supposed to be 5 inches to 7 inches. Although, the comical replies were worth the typo.

Blu, thanks for that sweet list. That was exactly what I was looking for. Any idea how hard that stuff would be to extend.

I do have a plan for the radiators being rear mounted. It all has to do with cooling, but the stretch would help play into that. Plus what I am planning for the front end would make present location impossible. Quick synopsis: Cut out trunk (rust), Twin rads with individual fans mounted in far back behind wheel wells, with side intakes ported to rads with exit vents in rear bumper. Exhaust will exit centerline rear of car, and be separated from rads by heat shielding. Motor will have added room for heat dissipation, plus heat shielding in compartment, coated headers/exhaust and side intake vents for cool air entry and larger louvers/ larger scoop on hood for heat exit.

The front is being modified for lower droop in nose and new smaller trunk space.
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The downside to mounting the radiators in the rear is that you get all the heated airflow caused by the engine. If you were to mount them in front of the rear tires you would get cooler air which would help a lot. Most every rear engine car driven on the street has the radiator mounted in the front for the fresh cool air flow.
johnguzman1212

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnguzman1212Send a Private Message to johnguzman1212Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my car has a 10.5 inch stretch you will need box tubing and flat metal for upper frame and lower frame. for the cradle I added a trailing arm with 10.5 eye to eye holes to get that stretch then welded the arm in place so it doesn't move. I didn't do the traditional cradle stretch. its possible to make the car crooked so be very careful. mine is straight. check out how to stretch a fiero on youtube, you must buy all the things mentioned above its not to hard. I never disconnected brake lines or throttle cable or shift cable on my 87 2.5 no need they made the stretch. I had to make new ac lines.new radiator hoses used universal spring looking ones. new heater hose. the fuel line made the stretch I just bent the line a little . only the passenger wire cable made the stretch. I lengthed the driver side one.the other hoses are easy to stretch just buy same size universal. if I forgot something I will post again. im not sure why you want 5 too 7 inches its work but if you really need the space there it is.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock