Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Weird... Odometer doesn't work, but speedo and trip odo does! Please help!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Weird... Odometer doesn't work, but speedo and trip odo does! Please help! by Lou and Blue
Started on: 04-03-2014 09:26 PM
Replies: 5 (650 views)
Last post by: commerce on 04-04-2014 11:00 PM
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueClick Here to Email Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I bought my 1985 GT, it had 206,271.4 miles on the odometer. I have driven it at least 200 miles since then and the speedo works fine and the trip odometer works fine, but the odometer hasn't moved one bit.
I have not taken anything apart to try to identify the problem, and frankly I really don't care about the recorded miles on it. I am more worried about the mileage being recorded during the yearly New York State inspections. I had one inspection done when I first bought the car, after fixing the e-brake, but next year it will have to be inspected again and will have the same exact mileage.
Usually the speedometer on most cars has the odometer under it and if the speedo cable breaks the odometer function goes with it. Is there a separate cable being that on the Fiero the odometer is above the speedo? Is this hard to investigate? Again, I don't really care about the amount of miles on the odometer, just worried when I go to inspect it again it'll fail because no miles have been adding up over the year's time.
Thanks for all advice and info!

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
Where driving hard is SOP.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped
Neiland/Delman Engineered
Carbed and loving it! (Peugot 604 manifold) ---"Sorry purists"

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
commerce

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for commerceSend a Private Message to commerceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The odometer and trip odometer both have their own little motors. When my odometer quit, I swapped it with the working trip odometer motor. It has been awhile since I did the swap, but I don't remember it being that difficult. Also, i seem to recall someone offering these motors in the mall.
johnguzman1212

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnguzman1212Click Here to Email johnguzman1212Send a Private Message to johnguzman1212Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hmmm a while back I took it out and spun it with my finger cant remember why but that's how I put some miles on it if swapping out the little motor don't work you can try that to pass inspection. I have a digital led odometer / speedometer on mine but before that I did it like I just posted
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueClick Here to Email Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by commerce:

The odometer and trip odometer both have their own little motors. When my odometer quit, I swapped it with the working trip odometer motor. It has been awhile since I did the swap, but I don't remember it being that difficult. Also, i seem to recall someone offering these motors in the mall.

Can you please send me a link to this little motor? I haven't taken my dash apart, so honestly I have no idea what it looks like. Thank you

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
Where driving hard is SOP.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped
Neiland/Delman Engineered
Carbed and loving it! (Peugot 604 manifold) ---"Sorry purists"

notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsClick Here to Email notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My odometer wasn't working. I swapped motors and it did not help. I took it back apart and found the numbers locked up. I took the number from an old unit I had and it work fine
commerce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for commerceSend a Private Message to commerceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock