Started on: 04-03-2014 12:01 AM
Replies: 21 (466 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 04-07-2014 09:20 PM
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ran a search & could not find any info on adjusting the cable or the shifter. Just a few days ago I noticed when putting the trans into park at times it didnt take and the car rolled. Or it would not start until I pushed forward on the shift lever. Ever since I purchased the car the shifter didnt seem right. It doesnt line up with most of the letters on shift indicator. I was told that was normal for the conversion because of using the Fiero shiftier and indicator plate for the 3speed auto with the 4T65EHD trans.. Yet I just read on a thread a comment from some one that they do not have this problem and everything lines up and is smooth. When I push forward on the shifter when it is in drive it moves from 3rd to 4th. Yet on all new GM vehicles that I sold over the years, when you do that the trans goes into neutral. For me to get into neutral I must push on the button and move it carefully forward. Just lately when going in to reverse, sometimes it does not engage and I bump it a little & then reverse engages. So it seems to me I need to do some adjusting either at the Fiero shifter or on the transmission. I have not done this before so I could use some pointers.

Thanks!
Steve W
NE Grand Rapids, MI
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Must be no one has any issues with their shifter?
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Thanks for the call Joe. 2 Seat Garage saves the day again. I took a few pics to show the set up that is on my car. I took them at night in the garage.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 04-03-2014).]

Tweeder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I too would like to know how as well.

------------------
86 SE Convertible 3800sc 4t65e HD.

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let me look at my notes and get back to you later.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Were you able to adjust the linkage?
Give TWEETER my number if you want.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Were you able to adjust the linkage?
Give TWEETER my number if you want.

To darned cold and other projects to do. Like I have to get to Shelby Township soon for the other problem. It isnt getting any better with the summer tires.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 04-05-2014).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by Tweeder:

I too would like to know how as well.

I sent you a PM
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cold!?!? Its 83 here!

Oh, wait..... I'm in Florida.
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't do my auto conversion. Sinister did it, so all credit goes to him, however, he used a custom bracket that connected to the shift cable, and that bracket to the trans. My P, R etc do line up with his conversion bracket.

On yours, there is some kind of wrapping around the cable end- like a plastic-stuff. Any chance that has gotten hard and causing some tension on the cable?
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by smartaxel:

I didn't do my auto conversion. Sinister did it, so all credit goes to him, however, he used a custom bracket that connected to the shift cable, and that bracket to the trans. My P, R etc do line up with his conversion bracket.

On yours, there is some kind of wrapping around the cable end- like a plastic-stuff. Any chance that has gotten hard and causing some tension on the cable?

No PO put some kind of foil around it to keep heat off. Nothing lines up and I have to smack the shifter when it is in the R area to get it into reverse and just this past week when I put it in park smack the shifter to get park to hold. Reverse has been that way since I have owned it I was told that is normal because it is a hybrid linkage.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 04-05-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
smartaxel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not normal. PO probably didnt know how to do it "right" Look here, there are some pics of another way. One that may work better for you...or one you could purchase, that is adjustable. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/068789.html

[This message has been edited by smartaxel (edited 04-05-2014).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not normal. PO probably didnt know how to do it "right" Look here, there are some pics of another way. One that may work better for you...or one you could purchase, that is adjustable. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/068789.html

Thanks looks good.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Cold!?!? Its 83 here!

Oh, wait..... I'm in Florida.

Must be nice to be warm! Hopefully it will be warm when you come back. LOL Going to find my notes and give the adjustment a try. Ahhh my notes suck. I'll give it try any way. Sucks being old memory isnt what it used to be. If I remember correctly I do the adjustment by the trans not in the car.
Thanks!

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 04-06-2014).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Well I took the foil off and this is what I found. Interesting! Now I'll try to get the plastic cover off and see what surprises I find!
smartaxel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
? Wierd.. Is it spliced? Or is that just a heatshield?
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Two pieces of plastic and the reason for them...........................................................................

More surprises! You know what I really got a bargain. I didn't pay for all this so I am very lucky. This car has so many surprises that I probably should have paid more for it. LOL. At least I am gaining knowledge on the pre 88 chassis and the 3800 engine and the 4T65EHD. LOL I was accused of being a whiner about this car. Interesting. I wonder how many of the people that bad mouthed me would have tolerated all the additional $$ I have spend and all the surprises I have found. Still have issues with run-ability and I surmise there are transmission issues as well. But it gets me to work.

Oh found another surprise when taking the plastic covers off. The nut that keeps the shifter arm on was on by a couple of threads. I guess it is a good thing I deceided to try to adjust the linkage.

Well now I need to find a proper linkage.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 04-06-2014).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now I need to find a source for the cable.
smartaxel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I admire the previous owners creativity. See, i cant think out of the box like that. I just buy the "right" part and fix it. I wouldnt even think to make my own plastiic covering to hold a broken cable in place... Koodos to him.. (somewhat sarcastic but also somewhat truthful comment)
smartaxel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

smartaxel

2823 posts
Member since Feb 2002
What cable do you need? Original fiero? V6 or 4?
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What cable do you need? Original fiero? V6 or 4?

I would think that it is the cable for the 4T65EHD? I am new to the 3800/4T65EHD mechanics so not sure. The car was a manual GT. So what ever cable the people who do the conversions use.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 04-07-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I admire the previous owners creativity. See, i cant think out of the box like that. I just buy the "right" part and fix it. I wouldnt even think to make my own plastiic covering to hold a broken cable in place... Koodos to him.. (somewhat sarcastic but also somewhat truthful comment)

Ya the PO's parents are from around your area so you could say he used some Michigan engineering. LOL

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock